April 2021 Moms

STM+ Check In w/o 8/18

How many kids do you already have? Ages? 

How are your other kids doing this week? 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions?

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)?

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

Re: STM+ Check In w/o 8/18

• How many kids do you already have? Ages? 2: DD1 turns 3 this week (!!!) and DD2 is almost 15 months (we have both of their well child checks next week).

How are your other kids doing this week? They're good. DD1 is all about her birthday (she has been talking about having a purple crown for months...that's the highlight  :D )

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? DD1 is obsessed with Daniel Tiger and I totally forgot the coronavirus episode was yesterday so when she wakes up she'll probably watch that.

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? DD1 is in daycare mornings M-Th with two other kids at our very small center. Her teacher didn't come back after the closures so it's just the director and her husband who are in their early 70s and pretty worried about coronavirus so being very cautious. I'm impressed with the procedures they have in place (we are in a semi-hot spot). DD2 went to the same daycare but they did not open up the little kids' room so she's been home with us and won't go back to daycare basically until there is a vaccine. We just got new neighbors about a month ago who have a son 2 months younger and they need a nanny so we might do a nanny share with them for a while while my work is crazy.

• How many kids do you already have? Ages? 
    1- she’s 3
    Good- stubborn as always, but good
    I’m so frustrated because when I’m home with my daughter I love taking her to children’s museums and bounce houses or to the playground in the park and now I feel like it’s just crazy to risk doing that. So we have just been hanging out at home since the pandemic started. While I love being home with her, it starts getting claustrophobic after a few months of being in the same place alllllll the time. But this too shall pass 😀
    GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)?
    my DD has been in daycare since the pandemic started. I’m a magistrate so I work rotating shifts and do not have holidays off. Her daycare has done a great job of implementing sanitation and for the first few months only allowed children of essential employees attend
  • Loading the player...
    DD is 3.5, DS will be 2 this week!

Oh, you know. They're okay. DD is full-on in the midst of the "threenager" stage and the attitude, tantrums, mood swings are very difficult to deal with. DS is getting really rough. He is purposefully doing mischievous things and laughing. Those two phases at the same time are not fun.

Am I 40 weeks yet? I feel like it's already been at least a full trimester.

My only real "concern" is figuring out when I should tell my supervisor to possibly stop any sort of face-to-face interaction at work. The OB told me that there isn't much need to change anything but I don't know how comfortable I am with continuing to go in if it's not absolutely necessary, which it's not.

Both kids in daycare full time. It's a relatively small center (<10 kids in each room). I wouldn't be able to work at all if they were at home, so I'm very thankful they are open right now.
    I have DS who is 20 months old. 

Happy as a clam. 

He went down in the crib for his nap today - yay! We are big contact nappers, but I've been wanting to get him down more and more lately. It would be nice to chill a bit, or clean lol. 

I'd love to hear gentle weaning ideas. I'd like to be done any day truly, but by his 2nd birthday would be my main goal. 

I'm a SAHM Momma so he's with me. My sister is one too, so we get our kids together lots. 
    Hubby & Me: Born 1993
    Married: August 2013
    Son: December 2018
    Baby in heaven: February 2020, was due Sept

• @kelseyyh I saw a good little infographic on weaning recently. Biggest thing was don't offer, don't refuse but I have to refuse all the time and I'm not even weaning. We just have set times that she eats and the "snacking" doesn't work for me, so if she ate within the last 2-3 hours, it's a no-go. She just comes up and pulls at my shirt when she's bored, even if she ate within the past 20 minutes. She'll pop on for 5 seconds then off for a while then pull on my shirt again. DD1 wasn't this bad but she was at daycare full time and we BF'ed when together, which was just weekends and holidays. She was a lot more chill about it. DD2 is around constantly so it's harder. With my first, my milk dried up at 20 weeks pregnant and DD1 just hopped up off of my lap and went about her business so I didn't really have to do anything. Since I had no interest in tandem nursing, my plan was to really emphasize saying "owie" when she fell down, bumped her head, scraped her knee, etc. Then eventually tell her "owie" and point to my milk so she'd understand that it wasn't time to nurse. I forget where I read this but I think it was Harvey Karp or something like that. I don't plan to tandem nurse still but expect my milk will just dry up. If DD2 wants to dry nurse, then we'll have an issue and idk what I'll do but probably the owie thing.

DD 4 (almost 5)
    DS 3
    DD 1 (15mo)

Fine this week. Last week the 2 bigs went to "cousin camp" with my in-laws and geeze it took us a full week to recover from that. They were basically wild animals for most of last week. They're better now though.

Uhm I did NOT know that the covid Daniel Tiger was out ( @kvh22 TY for the reminder!!) - I will now be hunting for that for this afternoon

I used to work full time until the end of Feb when I quit my job - crazy timing, I know! Now I'm a full time SAHM (with the occasional freelance hours at my old job). Our original plan had been to put both bigs in a MDO-type pre-school in our neighborhood (our 5 yo misses the school cutoff so she's got one more year before kinder), but we've hit the pause button on it mainly d/t cost & secondarily just to see how things pan out for a bit. I do plan to do MOPS though, so they'll have at least a bit of pre-schooling not done by me hahaha. 
  • @goldpolkadot I had to record that Daniel Tiger episode - didn't see it on demand or anything. But it's on every day this week at some point. Also, not to be creepy but was your 15mo a May due date or April due date (or maybe an early baby with a June due date lol)? I don't recognize you from our May 19 BMB but sometimes ppl change bump usernames, so just curious.

• cagncoo12cagncoo12 member
    edited August 2020
    One- DD 21 months

Mostly her happy, sassy self. We hit a sleep regression and are having issues with middle of the night wake ups, and not wanting to go back to sleep unless she is being cuddled. She will go for hours without letting up, screaming, crying, etc. I finally generally give in at about an hour in a half. If anyone has any tips or tricks to move past this... i'm all ears. She goes to sleep fine, in her bed, without us, it's just these horrid middle of the night issues. 

Sleep. Also nervous for school to start up and for the big kids to spread the virus to the daycare centers. 

Daycare full time. We had her out for 1/2 of March through June, but it was really difficult for me to work. Her daycare does a pretty good job with precautions, but i am nervous to see what the fall/winter brings. 

Two girls, ages 6 and 3.5 

We’re having an okay week! The normal arguments and sassy-ness (so. much. sass) but they’re sweet. For right now anyways haha!

I feel a little guilty for making our 3.5 year old in to a middle child! I know it’s silly. She’s just so sweet and chill and I feel like it’s going to hurt her to have a new baby in the mix. 

We decided to homeschool this year. I was a teacher back before #1 was born and I’ve missed it. She was in kindergarten last year when the world shut down and remote learning did not agree with her. My husband and I decided we couldn’t put that through her again, plus it made more sense to me (as teacher mom) to teach her on my own. It’s so hard right now. It’s like there’s no entirely good choice. I support any parent in anything they’re doing with their kid(s) this year because it’s all just so crazy. 
  • @kvh22 oh dang! I need to go hunt for it then!!
    Not creepy at all! I'm actually cracking myself up right now because she 13mo, not 15mo! Whoops, dang third kid. What the heck does this say about #4? Oh goodness!! Haha she was July :) So no, not from the board! I was in a 2015 board with our first and then I think intermittently came and went on the boards with #2 but then I don't think I got involved at all with #3 and I felt like I totally missed out so this time wanted to make sure to jump in early!! 
  • @kvh22 We sound similar with our current situations! We aren't actively weaning yet, but I have been refusing at certain times. I also will try offering him food, or distracting him. If this pregnancy leans to a natural weaning on his end, I'd love that aha! I don't want it to be a negative experience. I have some friends & family this was the case for, but I have one friend who tandem nursed twice. We are book lovers, so I've thought about looking into some books that discuss weaning. 

I have a 5 yr old DD and a 3.5 yr old DS

They are doing well. I've been home with them since covid struck so we keep busy. 

Ok, so Daniel Tiger is definitely my favorite kids' program. In fact, I'm thinking about Daniel as a boy's name. Not specifically after the character, but I imagine that the fact I now have a favorable opinion of the name has to be related. 

Our school district is not offering live classes, and has delayed the start of school 3 weeks. So DD starts kindergarten virtually on August 31. Wish us luck, haha. My DS has a severe speech delay was was attending school until March. But I do not plan on re enrolling him until it is safe to go back to in person instruction. 
  • How many kids do you already have? Ages? 1. He's 18 months in a week.

How are your other kids doing this week? Good. We went camping this weekend, so we have to get back into the swing of nap/night time routine again.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/ Questions? Not at the moment.

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? I'm a SAHM, so we try to stay busy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • rexnierexnie member
    edited August 2020
    I have a son who will be 2 in 2 weeks. 

Great! We finally finished weaning last week which I’d been working on since April-ish. Went slow and steady, cutting out one feed at a time and using distraction and chocolate milk (seriously) when needed. Last week we were down to one nursing session in the morning every 2 days or so, when I told him the “mimis” were all dried up because he was so big and can do XYZ now so it was time to have our last Mimi and say goodbye to them. It worked! This week he’s woken up in the morning a couple of times sns matter of factly told me “mimis are all gone.” This is a big deal because he was OBSESSED and would prefer to nurse 8x a day still if I let him. 

None for this week. 

My son was enrolled in T/F full day daycare until I pulled him March 10. I’m on leave now but we did have a short period with both of us working (I was only PT) and switched off childcare. It wasn’t bad since I have great flexibility on what days I can work, but I just don’t feel comfortable with the conditions at work.
  • kadeephdkadeephd member
    edited August 2020
    1 - 20 month old son

He's OK.  We pulled him out of daycare in July and have been doing a bit of visiting relatives while our exposure is low.  He went back three days this week and while he is adjusting great there, he's been a bear at home. (ETA his daycare had a spot open three days this week due to vacation so he's just there temporarily).

I'm just shocked that I go here now.  I remember the stalking the STM+ thread on my first BMB and thinking how much more they knew.  I guess I'm one of them now even though I don't feel like I know all that much more.

He was in an in-home (8 kids) full-time daycare from last August through this July, minus one month when the pandemic was worst when we pulled him out to help other family members in another state.  He is starting a part-time daycare on September 14, the day of my first OB appointment.  When I made that arrangement I thought we'd have the option of before and after care, but that is up in the air due to Covid restrictions.  I'm worried I won't have enough time to get things done since it's only four hours a day.  We'll give it a try and look for a full-time situation if we need to.  I'm a PhD student and am finished with classes, so I do have some flexibility, but I really am hoping to get a lot done this year.  I'm not sure I can manage it and stay sane with just 4 hours a day of care.  My husband is a teacher and they just decided to go virtual the first part of the year, but he still has to go to school to teach from his classroom so he won't be home to help.  Daycare is just so dang expensive that I felt guilty keeping him in a full-time situation when I didn't really think we needed it.  Thanks for reading my novel.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • <blockquote class="Quote" rel="kvh22">How many kids do you already have? Ages? I have 2 and SO has 2 plus a step son. The oldest is his step son, 14. We’ve got three girls ages 6 6 and 7 and a 3 year old son. This will be baby no. 6 and our first together  

Good! The usual arguments and such.  

Still not sure how we’re going to do this with so many kids. I’m a sahm most of the time, he works full time plus owns a catering company on the side. We’ve got my kids 100% of the time and his two 50% of the time and his stepson comes whenever he feels like it but will stay a week or two

<span>GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? They’re in school full days. SO’s ex refused to do virtual school, even if I handled it and she brought them here instead of the school that’s a mile away. So it didn’t make sense to keep my daughter home when we’re already going to be exposed. Plus she would have been super upset if they went back and she didn’t. Their class sizes are small though, the biggest one 9 kids in class</span>
    </blockquote>
  • How many kids do you already have? Ages?  3: 24 years, 8 years, 7 months 

How are your other kids doing this week? Fine. 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? I'm sure I'll have them next week. My son comes back from his dad's a horrid little shit. 

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? DS1 is distance learning for the first 9w. I'm not dealing with it this time, and left it for his dad to handle. 
  • Can't believe I go here now!

How many kids do you already have? Ages? DS is 3, will be 4 in November

How are your other kids doing this week? Typical 3 yo. I was saying how sweet he was this weekend and then looking for the receipt to return him on Monday. 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Just still shell shocked over getting pregnant!

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? DS has been home since the start of March. I've always worked from home but it is way different with a kid and husband here. We live in a hot spot and my family is high risk so we just keep chugging along and try not to kill each other every day. 
  • How many kids do you already have? Ages?  DS is 2 years old! 

How are your other kids doing this week? Happy and crazy, like always. 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? I’m really nervous about how physical my little guy is with me. We stopped nursing at almost a year and a half and replaced it with sleeping in bed with us when he has middle of the night wake ups. I’d love for him to sleep through the night, but I feel like it’s out of our control. Tips?

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? DH is working from home so he will keep DS home with him until mid-school year. I’m going back to school (elementary teacher) and I’m feeling nervous. 
  • @julybabybear does he start in his crib and move into your bed after waking up? If so, moving him to your bed could be reinforcing the MOTN wake ups. 
  • @julybabybear My 20 month old varies at night too. Lately, our bed has been too stimulating (ooh people to kick lol), but some nights he comes in and curls up and goes back to sleep. I feel like it’s something they grow out of. Jan-June he basically did our bed after midnight every night & then had 5 days straight in July where he STTN alone 🤷🏼‍♀️. 

What’s the alternative to your bed? I kill my back rocking him and dozing off myself lol. 

• @julybabybear DD2 comes into our room at 4-5am when she won't go back to sleep. She BFs and falls asleep again but then I'm usually up for the day. I know we're reinforcing bad habits but I'm too tired (and DH settles her MOTN if she wakes up) so idk what to do either. I definitely feel like she's now used to it but it's weird b/c it's at the same time each day. My oldest actually went through a phase of doing the same thing at this age so it also feels somewhat developmental. Like I said, I'll take the sleep or even the alone time if she goes back to sleep.

Also, my oldest turned 3 today!!! She's all excited and we had a great morning before she went off to daycare. She'll be home again just after noon and we're moving up pizza and movie night to tonight and then DH and I are taking tomorrow off of work. With the poor air quality due to the wildfires here, my outdoor plans (beach or picnic or something) are up in the air depending on wind and such. Air quality was bad yesterday but moderate today and might be better by the beach. Luckily we didn't promise her anything specific yet that we have to renege on.

• @julybabybear Honestly we let our son (20 months) cry if he wakes up, as long as he doesn't sound too desperate or go too long. It usually lasts less than 5 minutes and he goes back to sleep on his own.  We have occasionally brought him into bed with us or we'll go check on him if he seems really wound up, but we don't do that often.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • How many kids do you already have? Ages? I have 3 kids. Oldest daughter is 8, son is 6, and youngest daughter is 2.5.

How are your other kids doing this week? My big kids are doing well. They started back to school this week and are thrilled to be able to socialize more than they have since March. My youngest saw a specialist for strabismus this week and I am looking forward to helping her get it corrected. My husband has resorted to telling her, "Fix your eye" all the time and it's driving me crazy. Poor girl can't help it! 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Oh, E-learning. Not looking forward to that again because I am not a teacher for a reason. Bless those of you who are, you are so appreciated. 

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? Our school district allowed parents to choose strictly online learning or a hybrid schedule. My family opted for the hybrid schedule. I wish we were able to do online 100% of the time but with both my husband and I having full-time jobs, it didn't seem like the best option right now. Although our county has had a sharp increase in Covid cases the last month so I assume school will be moved to fully online learning by Labor Day. Our youngest goes to an in-home daycare provider who happens to be our neighbor. She is amazing. Her other kiddos she watches include my brother's 2 children and another toddler whose mom is a teacher so he has recently returned. We are lucky to have a good situation! 
  • @MandersX I literally LOL’d at “looking for the receipt to return him”
  • How many kids do you already have? Ages? 1 who will be one a week from today.

How are your other kids doing this week?  Cranky! She is going through the 12mo sleep regression.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Nervous about bfing while pregnant even though I know it’s safe.  I have bad anxiety and with my first (and I’m sure for this pregnancy) I had a huge fear of miscarriage the entire first trimester.  The bfing just adds to that fear but also not ready to wean.

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)?  Daycare 4 days a week and home with grandma the other day.
  • @sbd2018 I BF'ed until I was 20 weeks pregnant with my first and plan to do the same (that's when my milk dried up). Talk to your OB about it if you're nervous. I got some conflicting messages but it was only the really old fashioned (read: older) doctors who thought it might be a problem. Obviously nutrition is a bit more important if you're BFing and pregnant at the same time. My OB's biggest concern was calcium if I got to the 3rd trimester and was still BF (but I didn't). There was a breastfeeding thread in my last BMB (not a monthly or weekly check in but just somewhere to go to chat outside of the STM+ thread). I thought it might be too early but there's a good number of us so I might start that soon (or anyone else is welcome to) if there's a desire for it.

I have an 8 year old daughter. I haven't been pregnant in 6 years, and my husband and I were just talking about how this basically feels like we're new to this and haven't done it before since it's been so long, ha! 

She's good, understanding that I'm lazy for a reason and keeping herself busy. We did go to the orchard yesterday, it was so so nice to get out as a family for a little bit. 

No rants this week, things have been good! My daughter definitely decided that it was a good time to shout both times I was on the phone today, but that's not really new, ha! 

We've always been homeschoolers so covid isn't really changing anything for us, just way less socialization and way more video calls with friends. 
  • @sbd2018
    My response is a huge trigger warning so feel free to skip over what I say!!! 

I had a missed miscarriage in February. My DS was BF’ing (still is now!). I asked the doctor if I should wean when we try again / if it was bad for pregnancy. I wanted something to blame of course 😢. She completely reassured me that BF’ing during pregnancy is totally fine & healthy ❤️. I’m sure there are a small percent who may have doctors suggest to wean - but you chat with your doctor if you are worried. I am part of the KellyMom Breastfeeding Support group, this group & the website really help with all the Q’s.

Congrats on a year of nursing 💕. I am loving seeing all the nursing Mamas on here (and all the non-nursing Mamas as well 😘). 

• @thedomesticgeek I’m glad to see another homeschool mama! This is our first year (she’s in 1st and did K in public school) and we’ve survived the first couple weeks. 😂 So you have way more experience than me! I may be hitting you up for advice sometime! 
  • @bblair24 Definitely feel free to ask anything! I feel like I've researched every aspect of homeschooling, ha! I've found that homeschooling is a whole lot of trial and error. 
  • @thedomesticgeek I love that you homeschool! It’s something on my heart for the future when DS is school-aged. 

• How many kids do you already have? Ages? I have three kids, girl, boy, girl that are 6, 4 and 20 months. 

How are your other kids doing this week? Decent. Virtual school started for my oldest this week so figuring all that out has been interesting!

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Nothing really. I’m trying to remember when I usually start to get sick during pregnancy. Right now I’m just tired!

My oldest started virtual school in her pod this week. It has gone really well. My
    younger two started back to pre-k last week and it has gone well.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Firstly, so excited to see so many others who will have 4 kiddos! Glad to be in good company here! @goldpolkadot our kiddos are similar ages!

How many kids do you already have? Ages? I have 3 boys ages 4, 2.5, and 13 months

How are your other kids doing this week? Lol... it's a lot of fighting between DS1 and DS2. But this week was better than last week so I'll take it.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? None really... I am wondering though, how I will be able to schedule appts. I've always taken my kids with me to all appts and I guess that's out now with covid. Should be interesting...

GTKY: (no judgement) what is your current care/school situation for your kiddo(s)? Hoping to send my oldest to very part-time preschool, but we will see. I purchased homeschool supplies as well as a back up.
  • @runsoncoffee yay yes agree!!! I’m already feeling moments of “OH CRAP WHAT HAVE WE DONE” Too soon? 😂 Y’all too?!!? @pelorunningmama @speach13 @aisukurimsarang
    I’m mostly teasing, of course :) We’re really excited but dang our house is like a circus already 😆 I’m curious: did y’all always know you wanted 4? Thoughts on 4?

@runsoncoffee re appointments - I’ve been trying to figure out the same thing! So I only became a SAHM early this year and so before I’d just take 1 kids out of daycare at a time, or maybe 2 if the stars aligned (or for flu shots or something), but now being at home solo ALL 3 are with me (and goodness babies have those first appts like monthly!) - so taking all 4?! 🙀 I guess tho you’re right, our Pedi still isn’t allowing siblings at appts so I’ve been asking DH to stay home on appt days so maybe there’s a chance next year it’ll still be that way? Who knows by then! 
  • @goldpolkadot I always wanted 3-4, DH only wanted 3 and I told him if number 3 was a girl I'd agree to being done. Welllll number 3 was a boy (so we have 3 boys) so he somehow agreed to a 4th! Of course I'm not holding my breath on it being a girl this time either haha. If we were going to have a 4th it was gonna be sooner than later. This will be my biggest age gap and still less than two years  :D and yeah, our house is a complete circus too! The more the merrier, I suppose!
  • @runsoncoffee 3 boys...oh momma...bless you! We have GBG and the energy difference (and just everything honestly haha) between boys and girls is amaaazing. I'm totally with you tho on the sooner-than-later thing - I was like either we do this now or we don't at all. What's your age spacing? Ours is 18ish-mo between 1&2, and then the longest gap between 2&3 (TW I miscarried inbetween)- they are 27mo. Between 3&4 will be 21mo.
  • @goldpolkadot haha it's a high energy household for sureeee! Very physical alllll the time! Age gaps: 1-2 is 18 months, 2-3 is 17 months, and 3-4 will be 21 months! So do you have a July 19 baby?
  • @runsoncoffee Oh i BET! and yes! 7/15/19! Yours are all super close, I love that!! I was very on board with the idea of getting all the baby-stages done back to back so we could move on LOL
  • STM+ question - thoughts comparing pregnancy feelings to previous pregnancies to anticipate G/B? I feel like with my girls I was always super queasy but it wasn't quite as bad with my boy. With the girls I craved salty things but with my boy sweet. This time around I'm getting girl vibes haha. Anyone else?