November 2020 Moms
Options

GTKY: Hobbies

What are some of your hobbies outside of being a wife / mom.
ECat504
SO
SD (11/2010)
DD1 (09/2014)
DD2 (10/2015)
Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)

Re: GTKY: Hobbies

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Ecat504 Oh man I freeze most of stuff to nibble on during the week. My family didn't really bake either, it cam out of the blue for why I wanted to do it but I do love it. 
    For a long time I didn't read much, especially before bed but I realized I slept better or got to sleep better if I read for like 10-20minutes before hand and I stick to Agatha Christie before bed because it isn't hard to put down.
  • Options
    I enjoy reading, doing SoulCycle, listening to music, baking, cooking, and shopping. I'm a pretty basic b*tch, tbh. DH has a ton of interesting hobbies and I'm over here like "pass the rosé" (when I'm not KOed). 

@mtengl I'm reading through all of Hercule Poirot and I knit, too!
    @Ecat504 I love to bake and do often. Right now, DH is on a healthy eating kick, so a lot less than I usually bake. (I usually bake at least 1x week)
  • Options
    @babywiik Do you have any good patterns for hats? I also have been doing the baby clothes because they are fast! I just have a basic hat pattern right now.

@surlyjaneausten Those are beautiful!!! I usually just pick out plants and kind of plan out where they go and H does all the actual work...

• Options
    I'm jealous of people who can garden. I dream of sitting out and working in my garden with beautiful flowers blooming every where and fresh home grown veggies. But it's been proven time and time again I DO NOT have a green thumb.
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Options
    @name1109 we watch naked and afraid all the time!! Even my three year old will request it sometimes 😂. 
  • Options
    @ecat504 I am with you there! I would love to garden, even just a bit, but I can't even keep succulents alive and they are supposed to be easy!

@1mommyrunner I used to box in high school, I had completely forgotten, but I LOVED it and it was such a good workout!! I also love your idea of finding a marathon after baby, I may need to copy you, I think that would be a great motivator!

@hedgepig I don't have any pictures but am working on a baby blanket now (which I've been working on forever it seems, and making SLOW progress, lol) so when (if) I finish I will share pictures for sure! It is definitely nothing elaborate though, I only know a few basic "stitches". I could never get the hang of knitting but I have found youtube to be awesome for learning crochet!
  • Options
    @1MommyRunner I love the marathon idea! My max race length is 10k (last one I did was September 2019), but I was thinking it would be cool to register for a half after baby comes to keep me motivated to work out. But... covid. :(
    When do you think they’ll start doing races again?
  • Options
    @csardaszz A half marathon is definitely my preferred long race distance! You will rock it! 🥳 But yessss the covid. 😑 My previous marathons were during WWD marathon weekend. I love runDisney races because of the entertainment, the atmosphere and of course all the swag. They just turned their fall half marathon weekend into a virtual event...so you still get all the perks without actually being there. Personally, I’m not a fan of virtual races because I love the race atmosphere, but some people prefer them so there is no pressure! I’m hoping and praying the Star Wars race weekend will still go on in April next year! My guess is, it’ll be around Spring time next year before most of the bigger race organizations hold in person events. 👍🏻 So maybe by the time we all have these littles and get back to hardcore training, things will be getting back to normal! 🤞🏻 💜 

@bserena that is awesome!! I wish I would’ve found boxing earlier! I’ve never broken a sweat like that before, and it was amazing! 🥳💪🏻
  • Options
    @babywiik beautiful work! That little bib is darling in it's simplicity! I'd never think to knit one! Maybe I'll add a few bibs to my "if I'm forced to go on bedrest in the future" list! Knitting garments like that completely intimidates me! Especially with the colorwork on something that small!

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts thank you! The bibs are super nice(and quite simple to make)even for older kids when it's cold outside. Quite often kids don't like to have their coat zipped all the way up because the zipper is annoying (I agree) but with a wool/cotton bib/buff/bandana, their necks and chests don't get so cold. I'll attach the pattern in spoiler for anyone interested 

I think i used size 4 needles but not super particular as long as they fit your yarn.
    Cast on 3
    1st and 2nd rows:knit all three straight across
    3rd row: knit 2, make one, knit to the end
    Repeat row 3 until the top/longest row is big enough to reach around your child's neck and be buttoned.
    Knit the next 2 rows straight across without increasing 
    3rd row: knit 5, yarn over (making a button hole), knit to the end
    Knit two more rows straight
    Bind off work and sew a button on the opposite side of your button hole.
    Voila! You're done!😉
  • Options
    @babywiik awesome! Thank you :) I figured it was something simple like that! I made a shawl very similar to that pattern once and I recall it being a good one to pick up and put down easily without losing track of where I was. (key for me lol)

TRUTH about kids and keeping their coats zipped. UGH... My SD is the WORST at that.  It'll be middle of winter and she won't have it zipped at all, just holding it closed in front of her while shivering *facepalm* plus keeping on a hat?  Pfft... good luck!  We live in WI so probably not *quite* as cold as Norway, but it definitely gets a big chilly, esp up in Northern WI where SD's mom lives.

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts I'm laughing over here imagining your SD holding her jacket closed while shivering🤣 kids are so funny sometimes!! Thankfully we live on the coast and the golf stream keeps us from getting too cold (much colder than PNW winters that im used to but that doesnt take do much😅) so you might actually have it colder since you're in-land! Was it year before last that it was like -50 some places in the midwest?!? 
  • Options
    @babywiik So beautiful! That little sweater is just darling!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    @babywiik lol oh yeah, kids are ridiculous... well if you include windchill I'm pretty certain WI gets down to -50 at least once a year :D:D The year MH and I met I think we broke the record for the number of consecutive days below 0. Don't recall for certain though.  Honestly the diff between -10 to -30 really isn't noticeable, once you hit a level of cold it's all the same to me.  I'd totally rather the cold over heat and humidity though.  I can't find an example now, but I love the meme's showing WI coldest day in winter compared to the hottest day of summer. It's like a 150 degree difference sometimes LMAO.  Friggin WI!

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @babywiik Those are beautiful!!!!  The only things I knit are dishcloths and the occasional baby blanket!  

@lurvleybunchococonuts @babywiik  I'm in Canada (just north of Montana) and I love the cold talk!! I had to laugh at the comment about -10 to -30... because it's so true! I lived in Vancouver for university and it's a lot warmer there, but they get rain alllllll winter.  In the end I decided to move back to the prairies because I prefer the cold and sun to the overcast rain all winter long.

Although the other winter every single day in Feb was colder than -20, and that was excessive.  Also, the coldest I've ever had was -76 with windchill... and that was just plain terrible... 

• Options
    @babywiik I NEEEEEEED all those patterns. OMG! Such beautiful work; I could only wish I was half as talented as you!
  • Options
    @mia80 overcast all the time would get me down, I like having different seasons :)  Also that chilly/overcast rain/ice mixture :#  YUCK! I'll take straight snow and cold over that mix crap.  Yessss, constant negative degree weather is super excessive :D Thank the Lord for heated seats in your car!!! 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    I'm just saying, as someone from Southern Louisiana the thought of - anything temp wise is terrifying. I'm freezing once it hits like 50 here.....
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Options
    Growing up in Southwest Washington we got a lot of rain but it never bothered me so it must be all in what were used to😉 I worked at a daycare once i was out of school and all the kids had rainsuit so I bought one too and jumped in puddles along with them and had great fun so I kinda looked forward to the rain😆

@mia80 @laurenmicheley thanks! I really enjoy the challenge of knitting and it's VERY satisfying and relaxing to create things with my hands. Thankfully the finished project doesn't show how many times i had to rip stitches out and start over😆😅
  • Options
    @babywiik ughhhhh... The dreaded ripping out stitches 🤦🏻 it's alwasy so painful. It takes forever to make and then is ripped out in seconds! I'm pretty sure it's impossible to ever complete a project without ripping at least 1/2 of it out and redoing it first (and usually multiple times 😆).

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts Agreed!! Makes for lots of practice knitting, as well as putting the stitches back on the needles without losing them🙄 a friend of mine needed to rip out quite a few rows on a project she was knitting so she planned with her boyfriend that when they were with friends she would knit a little bit and then leave her knitting to go to the bathroom and while she was gone, her boyfriend would tell the friends that he was going to play a prank on her and he started ripping out the needed rows. Of course the friends all freak out and tell him his making a huge mistake and how could he do that to his girlfriend when he saw how hard she was working on the project, etc.😂
  • Options
    @babywiik oh geez 🤦🏻🤣

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    All the knitting projects are so cute. Tons of talent in November 20!  I think maybe I never picked up knitting because I’m with @Ecat504 50 degrees is cold here... especially with the humidity from the coast. 😬

My hobbies are going to Cookoffs with DH. He is the cook, I am the observer and taste judge. When we don’t have one lined up to compete in we will go to cookoffs and support our friends cooking it or will be actual taste judges. DH is super disappointed the American Royal in Kansas City was just cancelled this week. Cookoffs are so fun and much more fun when you can drink!

My other hobby is researching mine and DH family tree on ancestry. I have over 10k people in my tree. I want to go and visit some of the places my ancestors lived and go to the cemeteries where they are buried. I’m still searching for the millionaire cousin that leaves me all of their fortunes 😬. 

YAS to Naked and Afraid! This XL season has been my favorite so far. All the drama! Bulent and Seth were/are my favorites and the commentary done on the after show is hilarious!
  • Options
    @babywiik lmao 🤦🏻 so while DD napped today I pulled out some yarn and my knitting stuff and decided I'll start with this pattern:
    https://gina-michele.com/2019/02/easiest-newborn-hat-knitting-pattern.html
    To make a hat but using a size 6 vs 8 to make it smaller to adjust for twin size... I've gotten 2 rows in and already need to start over 🤣😂

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts oh shoot!! 🤦 that's a super cute hat tho!!! I'll have to try it out! Good luck with the rest and hopefully the second one will be easier😉