December 2020 Moms
Options

Baby Shower

Hey everyone, 

This is a space to discuss and share ideas If anyone is still thinking of doing a baby shower! 

If you are doing a baby shower: 

1. how are you doing it? (Outside, Zoom, drive by, normal)

2. When are you doing it? (How many weeks will you be) 

3. what is your theme going to be? 

4. How many people will you invite? 

5. How are you going to make it fun despite the current pandemic situation!? 

And if you are choosing not to have one you can also explain your reasoning here! 

Re: Baby Shower

• Options
    sejicasejica member
    Not having a shower, as this is baby #3, boy #2, but will do a 'sip and see' like we did with #2.

1. Outside-ish, we will likely do it at my parents pool house which is open on one side.

2. As soon as weather and first or second round of vaccines permits, so sometime after Valentine's day, but more likely may-ish.

3. Sip and see is fun, because there are relatively few gifts (though not none), and I'll come up with a festive owl themed drink as baby's initials are o.w.l.

4. Likely invite 50, but expect 25 or so. My bil has 5 kids, so the headcount gets high fast.

5. Hopefully there's a vaccine on the horizon by then, so it can be nearly normal fun, but no matter what, at least we'll have more data in 9 more months.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I haven’t got a clue 🤷🏼‍♀️ One of our friends was messaging DH to ask about planning a Zoom shower, so I think it was supposed to be a surprise, but he asked me my thoughts about it. Beyond that, I really have no idea. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. How are you doing it? Outside under a tent 

2. When are you doing it? The shower is planned for a Sunday in October and I'll be 30 weeks (and I'll turn 30 the day before!)

3. What is your theme going to be? No idea - my sister and mom are planning it

4. How many people will you invite? I think there will likely be about 50 people there - again my sister and mom are planning and hosting it, so I'm not sure! In MA we're allowed to have outdoor gatherings of 100 people, so we will be far under the allowed limit and able to spread out well!

5. How are you going to make it fun despite the current pandemic situation!? I'm hoping our numbers here in MA stay low so that we can hold the shower in October and have as normal of a shower as possible. 
  • Options

We’re doing a few things: a Zoom shower for our family and friends back East and in Australia, a small park meetup for friends that live here, and then we’ll plan to travel back to MA for a sip and see if/once there’s a vaccine (next year?)

Zoom: 9/26, about 30 weeks
    Park: probably around the same time but not sure yet

Umm, having a baby? Haha no theme 

About 20 ppl to each zoom and park party

Not sure about the Zoom one yet since my sister is planning that. For the park meetup, I’m sure ppl will just want to be outside!

• Options
    1. how are you doing it? (Outside, Zoom, drive by, normal) thinking it’ll end up being a drive by baby shower and then we shall see what the world looks like in the spring and may do a sip and see! 

2. When are you doing it? (How many weeks will you be)  October 3rd! So 30 weeks! 

3. what is your theme going to be? Fall decor/little pumpkin? Haha 

4. How many people will you invite? 50-60ish (we are allowed gatherings of 100 outdoors but I want to play it safe!

5. How are you going to make it fun despite the current pandemic situation!? Going to give out Indic y’all wrapped little pumpkin cookies as a thank you!

This is our first baby so my best friend wants to still throw something for us and to be honest it will help financially to have people buy some gifts. I think it’s been a hard year in everyone, DH was laid off for half the year so it’s not like we can’t afford baby but it’s definitely nice that people will help out with gifts!
  • Options
    1. how are you doing it? (Outside, Zoom, drive by, normal) thinking it’ll end up being a drive by baby shower and then we shall see what the world looks like in the spring and may do a sip and see! 

2. When are you doing it? (How many weeks will you be)  October 3rd! So 30 weeks! 

3. what is your theme going to be? Fall decor/little pumpkin? Haha 

4. How many people will you invite? 50-60ish (we are allowed gatherings of 100 outdoors but I want to play it safe!

5. How are you going to make it fun despite the current pandemic situation!? Going to give out Indic y’all wrapped little pumpkin cookies as a thank you!

This is our first baby so my best friend wants to still throw something for us and to be honest it will help financially to have people buy some gifts. I think it’s been a hard year for everyone, DH was laid off for half the year and it’s not like we can’t afford baby but it’s definitely nice that people will help out with gifts!
  • Options
    @tryingktogku aww little pumpkin theme is so cute! I might have to steal that if we end up doing anything.

At this point no idea if we'll do anything! We're planning on buying everything we need, haven't heard any offer from anyone to host anything (my mom was dead set on hosting for our first...and she did a wonderful job!) I guess we'll see how it goes as we get closer.
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    We're not having a shower. It's our 3rd and we're still well stocked on baby items, especially for boys. We aren't finding out gender but I figure if we have a girl there will be just enough time for people to get babe some new clothes at Christmas. Plus, as a SAHM my social circle is pretty limited so there would only be a handful of non-family people there anyway.

I have a sister who is also expecting #3 and we are planning a shower for her because it is her first girl and her boys are a little older so they need to restock a few baby things (and she really wants one). This made things kind of awkward because I had to explicitly release the planners in my family from a sense of obligation to hold a shower for me if they have one for her.

I've never heard of a sip and see but that seems like a fun idea!
    image     image
  • Options
    @laurenspdx I laughed out loud at your "having a baby" theme. I tried so hard to convince my mother-in-law that that was theme enough for my baby shower (a few years ago with my first). 😂
  • Options
    flip25flip25 member
    edited July 2020
    We will actually be doing 2, one for my family at my mom's and one for my husband's family at his mom's to keep the numbers as low as possible. They will be in person, outside, with a drive by option. I'm also thinking of having a few friends over to my house mostly just because I haven't been able to really see anyone in so long!

We actually don't have dates yet which is not great because I'm very adamant on it being outside so September is really our last chance for nice weather. I really don't want to plan anything, my mom and MIL love planning the fun things like themes and games (I hate games) but somehow planning always stops at important things like renting tents for if it rains and stuff. I've been super busy with work (and it's only going to get worse in the next month) so I'm going to try to get them both to commit to a date and let them know that this is all up to them. 

Not sure, they both like cheesey babyish things whereas I would like something geared a little more toward my taste but my bridal shower was a hot mess with fighting with my mom because she had a specific vision of what she wanted which is not my taste in the slightest, so this time I've just given up. They can do what they want because I don't have the energy to stress about it. That's why I figure when theirs are over I can have my friends at my house with fancy desserts and cocktails (mocktails for me!) and that will satisfy me.

There will probably be 20-30 people invited to each one.

Not really sure. I'm hoping just seeing each other for the first time in so long will be fun in itself! My mom is so disappointed because she loves the games like tasting baby food and melting candy in diapers and making everyone guess what it is 🙄 but I told her we can't do anything like that but I'm 100% sure she will still come up with some embarrassing things.

ETA: Sorry if I sound ungrateful, I'm really happy they're so excited for the baby and want to do so many things for us, but they're both very over-the-top which is the complete opposite of my husband and I.
  • Options
    I haven't really discussed with anyone, but I think we'll be skipping a traditional shower.  This will be my second in a relatively short time-frame, and all of my family and a big chunk of my friends are out of state.  TBH, I don't love being the center of attention, so with my first, my friends reserved a private room at a fabulous restaurant for brunch.  It was very low-key, which is exactly what I wanted.  If the COVID situation magically improves, I could see maybe doing something similar sans gifts.
  • Options
    @laurenspdx that’s similar to what our wedding theme was 🤣 “hi, we’re getting married, come eat food”
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Options
    karmbakarmba member
    No shower for us - it's baby number 2.  I've made registries on several websites, but that's mostly for the discount as there are a few bigger things we'll need.  Plus my mom has already said she'll buy something off of the registry for this baby's birthday present, so I want to be organized haha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    @gingkomama @dreamscapes_ Haha I seriously didn’t know there were supposed to be themes! Thank goodness my sister is planning it, she’s way more on top of these things 😂