October 2020 Moms
Options

C-sections

I recently found out that I'll need to have a c-section. Just wondering if there's anyone out there who is having one or who has had one before and can advise on what to expect. How painful? Recovery time? What did you need help with and for how long? Do I need to buy those special high-waist panties? When could you start driving? Impact on breastfeeding? Were you able to lift your baby right away? Any advice is welcome!

Re: C-sections

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I’ve had two c sections and used to work on a post surgical unit so hopefully I can help a bit. I can’t help with the taking care of babies and breastfeeding part though. I did start pumping right away after my last birth  and didn’t have supply issues. 
    - It will hurt after. Obviously you will have pain meds, but you just had a major surgery and there will be some pain. 
    - Get up walking as soon as you can. It helps get the gas moving and will help you heal faster. Try to stand up straight and not hunch. 
    - take the stool softeners, they should offer but ask if they don’t. 
    - Take your pain pills when you pain is around 2-5 depending on your pain tolerance. Pain pills take time to kick in and if you let your pain get too bad, it’s harder for them to take it away completely. 
    - I’ve never used a belly band but I’ve heard from other women that they can help a lot. Usually hospitals will provide this. 
    - I do suggest high waisted underwear. I just went to Walmart and bought a cheap pack and they worked fine. 
    - It depends on your doctor when you can start driving. Definitely not until after you are off pain medicine and I believe they usually clear you at your 6 week appointment. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• Options
    How painful? Recovery time?
    The surgery itself was painless. When they gave me spine blocker I felt great lol. However healing was very painful. I took all the pain meds they offered and took it super slow. Overall it took about 4 weeks to feel like myself.

I agree with the PP on stool softeners and walking. The post-labor poop was horrifying :(

What did you need help with and for how long?
    I needed help carrying things heavier than baby and walking up the stairs for the same about of time (4 weeks).

Do I need to buy those special high-waist panties?
    I didn't use them but it is probably a good idea to wear high-wasited panties so they don't interfere with your incision or healing.

When could you start driving?
    6 weeks

Impact on breastfeeding? Were you able to lift your baby right away?
    you can hold your baby as soon as possible. I was told after struggling the first month that FTM who have a C-section may have a hard time with breastfeeding, which pissed me off. But now you know. Ask for the lactation consultant to come in and assist you if you need help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    chichiphinchichiphin member
    edited July 2020
    **edit to add I am a lurker lol** Buy compression socks - I had a C section and was NOT allowed to walk the halls because of Covid procautions. I was so swollen I gained weight after giving birth. Have compression socks ready and use them when the staff deems it safe!
    **tw**

married 11.1.14

ttc #1 since 5.18

bfp 12.22.18 letrozole + progesterone

d&e due to trisomy 13/hydrops at 15wks

bfp 7.21.19 letrozole + IUI 

little girl A born 3.26.20

• Options
    @profmcgonagall Thanks for the advice! I'll do my best to get moving right away. I think hearing how much it helps with recovery is just the motivation I'll need.

@salliesqpants I'm all about the stool softeners. Dreading that first poop 😫 TBH even now I kind of hate how much effort it seems to take to keep things moving.

@chichiphin Good to know! I hate being cooped up in bed. Really hoping things are in a good state and I'll at least be allowed to walk around, but that's seeming unlikely. 
  • Options
    I had an emergency C after my labor failed to progress with my 5yo. I think it was harder emotionally than physically. I had this whole fantasy of how I wanted my labor to be. My OB is very against VBAC so I think having the expectation set from the start has helped me mentally prepare. I stayed in the hospital for a full 7 days but we were both on IV antibiotics due to elevated white counts. With COVID, I am hoping to discharge on day 2 this time (which would be a Friday so I’ll have my SO home all weekend to help.) 

Anyways, I took the pain meds every time I was due and stayed on top of the nurses to bring them on time. I want to say I took them about 2 weeks total. The PP BM was brutal, I think it took 5 days before my first BM. 

I tried nursing right from birth but he wasn’t latching well so I began pumping. Between both, my milk came in on day 1 though slowly. 

Driving. No one mentioned anything to me about driving until my for LC appointment a few days after discharge. My husband was working so I had no choice and had to drive myself. Hitting any kind of bumps hurt BAD- and sneezes too. 

Undies. My OB specifically told me to purchase compression undies and I’m so glad I did. The compression was comfortable and helped with the swelling. I’ve already purchased some off Amazon and BellyBandit for this go around. 

We lived in a townhouse at the time and so I needed help with stairs. I setup everything I needed during the day downstairs. Changing station with extra outfits, pack and play, pump parts etc. this way I didn’t need to keep going up and down all day. I had no trouble lifting my son. I imagine this time I won’t be able to lift my 5 year old but there’s no real need to. 

Just remember, while C’s are common, they are still major surgery. Try not to over exert yourself. If your body is in pain and telling you to slow down, then listen to it. Accept help and rest. 
  • Options
    @mammatoomc thanks for the comprehensive advice! It's definitely helped knowing this was coming in advance. I think it took me about 2 weeks between when my OB sprung "c section" on me to when I decided I was really okay with it. I can't imagine how much harder it must have been for you having the decision made so quickly and out of your control. 

Any suggestions on the best brand of compression undies? I'm thinking I should probably order some soon just in case things progress sooner than expected. 
  • Options
    I had a csection with my first and will have another with this one. All I remember is that I got home too late to get my pain meds from the pharmacy so I went all night without meds lol. But I honestly don't remember being in so much pain. Weird,right? My feet did swell up like logs afterwards from the fluids they give you...that was crazy. And I had to sleep in a recliner because I couldn't get into my bed. 
  • Options
    @poppyseed314 i just search compression undies on Amazon with my first. They came high up and had tight Velcro on each side. I’ve purchased some from BellyBandit this time around. I’ve been using some under garments with them during this pregnancy and I’ve been very impressed. They’re pricey but worth it in my opinion. I also have some athletic shorts that are tight from Aerie that I plan to wear around the house for extra compression. I would just say make sure whatever you purchase goes up high. My incision is very low (lower than bikini bottom) and if anything were resting that low it’d be very painful. 
  • Options
    @poppyseed314 I’m having my second c section 10/2. I was in pretty good shape/health going into my first one and the recovery went fine. No impact on breastfeeding and I had no issues holding baby. Agree with above post, some high wasted leggings/sweats/undies are good to have. 
  • Options
    That is true when you take the stool softeners, they should offer but ask if they don’t.