December 2020 Moms

Baby registry

I can erase this if there is already a topic for this. I looked but couldn’t find one

Where are your favorite places for baby registries 
what are your Must have items? 

I’m almost 20 weeks and thinking I should start to put together a baby registry 

I have absolutely no idea where to start.

target seems good... But I probably don’t want everything from there. Is there a way to make a registry that supports small companies and designers?   There are some big things I need but seem quite expensive for one person’s gift. 

Re: Baby registry

• We haven't really started ours yet, but thinking Amazon and Target.  I know on Amazon you can set a shared gift setup (not quite sure what they call it exactly), but it allows people to contribute money towards a larger gift.  That way you can have groups of people contribute without feeling like they need to buy the whole item.  I think there are some registries where you can add items from any website, so that might help with your smaller companies or local businesses.  

Hope that helps and best of luck!  We are about to start on that road and a little intimidated by it.  
  • readermom1readermom1 member
    edited July 2020
    I have never used it, but I believe babylist allows you to put all of your items in one registry no matter what store they come from. Amazon, Target and Buy Buy Baby are all good for the free registry sample box and the completion discount! 

I will be making a registry for the discount only, since I don’t need a lot and I don’t expect anybody is really going to buy us baby gifts this time. I found out last time that if you move up the due date, then you get your discount earlier. You can do this after your shower if you are having one or when you set it up. For me, it’s a lot easier to buy things ahead instead of waiting until the last minute. 
    Also, the Amazon baby registry will allow you to put anything from the site on it whether it is baby related or not. As long as it is sold by Amazon and not a third party seller and you put it on your registry, you can get the completion discount on it! They will only let you check out once with the discount, so load it up! 
  • Loading the player...
  • sejicasejica member
    I've used encore baby all 3 times because it combines/links any other registries and allows you to specify if you're okay with used/loaned items or just new. You can also use it to register for meals, laundry, childcare, etc., not just physical items-though it does that well too.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'll do the amazon registry just for the free gift. And completion discount. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • I used Amazon and Target with my first - those were the easiest choices for our friends and family to use, and I made good use of the discounts.  I'm making registries again this time for the discounts only, and I'm keeping the contents private since we don't really "need" anything.  I'm totally with you on supporting local small businesses as well - I used those for the things I bought personally :)

In addition to asking mom friends, I used Lucie's List to compare options for items to go on the registry.  I also found it really helpful to actually "test-drive" a stroller and practice folding/unfolding it, so it might be worth masking up and hitting a Target/baby store on an off-hour to see what works best for you.  
  • @luckypenny11. I was thinking of doing that at Target.  Maybe once I have more of a bump, I can go during "vulnerable" hours.  Now to get the husband up in time for that!
  • maisasmaisas member
    This is my first baby and I'm using target and Amazon in conjunction so people have options but I will agree it's more of a list for myself. And I can't wait to use the discounts/get the little free samples.

I used this site by adding the links of my target/Amazon registry so it's all in one place! So you can just send the babybumo registry link and it'll show you both registries and which registry you'd be buying from.
  • We made ours on Target. The app is super handy and categorizes everything so you can have a little checklist. Since most of our gift givers live across the country, that will allow them to ship right to us. I was thinking of Amazon, too, but I’m trying to avoid using them when possible. 

It was super intimidating to start but we feel good about where it’s at. We tried to focus on stuff for the first 3-4 months since we’ll likely move after that and don’t have a ton of storage right now. 
  • karmbakarmba member
    @babymakes9 - I've done that on Amazon, Wal-Mart and Babylist.  The only reason I've skipped Target is that they don't ship the freebies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Babylist lets you put all your registries together and anyone can see it if you give them a link. 

We are skipping the registry bc we aren’t having a baby shower. I had one for my first girl last time and none of my family showed up even though 35 of them RSVPd. So no one really cares about us so we are on our own this time 😂
  • babymakes9babymakes9 member
    edited July 2020
    @bartonolivia that is horrible! 

I also want to add,  I only had a shower for baby #1, but I register everytime for discounts on the things I'm going to buy,  but don't share the registries.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • I'm making an Amazon registry just for the random things we need to replace (completion discount). A few people have asked if we have a "wish list" since it's been so long and we share it on a case by case basis. 
  • I started a buy buy baby one because my twin sister wanted to throw me a sprinkle but we might just do a nice dinner with immediate family instead, especially with what’s going on. We saved everything from DS though so we don’t need too much for DD.
    DS born 2016
  • shelmcclelshelmcclel member
    edited July 2020
    We are doing Amazon & Buy Buy Baby, I read that Babylist prices aren’t always up to date or accurate and you could accidentally end up spending more if there happens to be a sale at the actual store and they haven’t updated their prices on the babylist site.
  • We have our main one at Target, and then a small one with Amazon. It’s mostly books and a few things Target didn’t have. We also have a very small one with Buy Buy Baby because of coupons, so the more expensive things (crib, mattress, stroller, car seat, etc) are coming from there. That one is mainly for our parents, since both moms said they want to get some of the big ticket items. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Babylist is really great - you can have registries at target, amazon, buy buy baby etc, and it pulls it all in for you so then you only have to give one link to your friends/family. It also allows you to pull in from sites like etsy or smaller retailers which helps if you want something unique. It still allows you to purchase from the retailers directly and you just have to mark it as "complete." 
  • @dobiemom11 my favorite resource was/is Lucie's List!
  • @dobiemom11 This is my mother-in-law too. I am not even sure what all she has made yet, but I'm sure it's a lot... I've been taking some time picking fabrics for a baby quilt and she's chomping at the bit.
  • @willashbaby. That list is a lifesaver.  Now that is my starting point!

@gingkomama. My mom is planning on sending out quilt blocks to people.  They can write a message to the baby and then she will embroider them.  She did one for our wedding and my high school graduation.  It is so sweet to see all the messages written in the handwriting (especially since some family members have passed!).  But she also mentioned knitting bibs which I am not sure how stain resistant those will be.  
  • Searching for a monitor.  I looked and looked this morning and then was discussing the options with DH over lunch.  He was like wait...aren't those just a microphone to hear the baby from further away.  I just laughed and laughed!  Video, wifi, breathing monitor, temperature, etc.
  • @dobiemom11 did you find a good one to get? 
  • jchpgjchpg member
    Is anyone thinking of going without a monitor? We didn’t have one for DD- but we also lived in a very small apartment, so we didn’t need it. I never felt like we missed having one. I’m debating this time bc we’re in a house with 2 floors, so maybe it might be nice if baby is napping upstairs.... 
  • @jchpg I used it with DS more when he was a toddler! I could keep track of his mischief and know if he really needed me to intervene or if he was OK. I could also talk to him through it and answer a question he might have. We used it until it finally crapped out when he was about 3.5, we are def getting another one. 
  • @autumn87654321. I spent like an hour looking at different models, but seemed to get really conflicting results.  The best from Lucie's List got really poor reviews on another list I have been looking at.  I think we are looking for a non-wifi video monitor with a pretty good range, but need to narrow it down with DH.  Maybe the Angelcare with the breathing monitor (not really looking for a breathing monitor, but it comes with the newest model).  

Any fan favorites or dishonorable mentions from the group?  
  • We have an iBaby monitor for DD. We got it for the WiFi connectivity and that it had a sound machine and night light built into it. We noticed the white noise cut out every so often so we ended up getting the Hatch noise machine. We were going to shop for a different monitor with new baby, since the iBaby has difficulties staying connected at times, but it seems like most WiFi monitors have that issue. Overall it’s nice because we can check in from our phones/iPad even if we’re not home, and the video quality is really good. We’re probably going to get another iBaby monitor since you can do split screen and see both monitors at once. 
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• @bearmomma1. I heard good things about the Hatch noise machine, so nice to hear that someone else has used it.  
  • One of my friends recommended the Infant Optics DXR-8 so that’s what’s on our registry. I like the idea of a WiFi one but I also don’t want it to only work on my phone. That one has a video receiver and you can control the camera, which is nice. It’s won a bunch of awards too 💁🏼‍♀️
  • We’re going with the Safety 1st HD wifi baby monitor (it also works with data on your phone) both my SIL’s have it and love it and it’s under $200! I like the idea of a “wifi” one because if my mom is watching the baby or anything she can just download the app too which makes it easy to monitor baby for everyone helping out! 

Just my opinion on the “smart” monitors like the ones that track breathing and oxygen levels, do yourself a favour and don’t get them. Whenever I worked in NICU we had atleast 3-4 calls come in or emerg vists from frantic parents because their babies oxygen saturation dipped into the “red zone” or their monitor stopped detecting breathing (even tho baby was clearly breathing when baby came in) which causes in necessary panic because unless you are a trained professional you just don’t have the skills to interpret those kind of vital signs/ the background knowledge and experience to know that most of the time it’s very normal for a baby’s levels to dip etc and it’s all in how they recover ... 
  • We have a Nest cam for video and also an Avent sound-only monitor (https://smile.amazon.com/Philips-Monitor-Projector-SCD730-86/dp/B07DY4HCDW?ref_=ast_sto_dp_) for DD.  We use the sound monitor at night for any overnight wakeups or to know when she's awake for the day.  The Nest cam is nice for spying on her during naps, especially since both DH and I can keep an eye on her on our phones without having to trade off a monitor.  It's probably overkill to have both, but I like having the options.
  • We had the DXR8 thing too, they crapped out TWICE (the monitors). We were able to get a replacement once through warranty and then the second one died too. We have a secure network and will probably just add a nest camera this time and call it a day. 
  • jchpgjchpg member
    @dobiemom11 we have a Hatch too and love it. I just said to DH yesterday that we should get a second for when baby is in our room. 
  • We’re planning on just a basic audio monitor. We have a small apartment, I don’t think a video monitor would be worth the money for us, and most WiFi devices aren’t completely secure. 

@tryingktogku I loathe those things, the wearable monitors. It drives me crazy to see them recommended everywhere. 
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • @dreamscapes_ We have audio only for the same reasons. We didn't feel like we needed it much with a tiny baby, but definitely used it more as baby got older and as a toddler. 
  • Anyone use the Quick zip sheets?  I struggle putting sheets on a regular bed while in theory completely awake.  I imagine that becomes more difficult on a little bed in the middle of the night.  These seem like a good idea.  
  • @dobiemom11 I have friends who did but I didn't bother. I just "layered" mine. Mattress protector, sheet, mattress protector, sheet, sheet. My Son did not have diaper explosions (yay cloth) and got most of his spitting up done before bed. We did not have to change sheets in an emergency often at all. 
  • @dobiemom11 I also didn’t bother with the quick zip sheets. Our crib mattress is super light (sealy organic soybean foam core mattress) so it’s really easy to pull it out of the crib completely and change. The whole thing probably takes less than 30 seconds. Maybe if you have a heavy mattress it might be worth it. I would recommend trying it yourself before you invest in more expensive sheets.
  • @willashbaby and @readermom1. Thanks for the insight.  It totally makes sense to just use the cheaper sheets and know these are an option if we need them!  They make so many products for babies that it is easy to get a little lost on what really is a lifesaver!  
  • FYI - in case you haven’t seen it, Buy Buy Baby is having a huge sale right now on lots of brands that the 20% coupons never apply to! Getting our Dock-a-tot and Motorola baby monitor this weekend! The Halo bassinet is also on sale if anyone is looking for that. 

The Nordstrom Anniversary sale also has some good stuff!
  • Nanit baby monitors and Willow pumps are also on sale this week.  Not quite sure when it ends, but check it out on their websites if you are interested.  

@shelmcclel. Thanks for the heads-up!  I will have to check it out.