3rd Trimester
Options

Baby with VSD

Was just told that my baby has a VSD in her heart at 36 weeks. Would love to hear any advice, information, experiences. Thank you! 

Re: Baby with VSD

• Options
    Was just told that my baby has a VSD in her heart at 36 weeks. Would love to hear any advice, information, experiences. Thank you! 
    If you google it, there's tons of information online. From my quick search, it looks like sometimes it closes up by itself, or it could require surgery. I'm sure your doctor will tell you more - things to watch out for, what additional appointments you'll need, etc. 

I hope it resolves itself without surgery!
  • Options
    Did they say if they thought it would close on its own? Also if it was picked up on an ultrasound it was probably a size that will at least require monitoring after birth from a pediatric cardiologist. My daughter was born with one that wasn't picked up on ultrasound, which they told me 50/50 that it would close. They did 3 echos and finally around 6 months we scheduled surgery. Her cardiologist had said he wanted it done before flu season was rampant. She is 5 now and on a 2 year schedule for check up. 
    If you plan on breastfeeding it may be more of a challenge. I ended up pumping but heard from other heart moms that some of their kids latched. It does making feeding more difficult because your baby may tire easily. 
    If you have any questions, I will be happy to help.