February 2021 Moms

First doc visit updates

2»

Re: First doc visit updates

• @WildMagelet same. Although I didn’t even take my glucose test yet. But I have a feeling even if I pass they’ll still want me to check my sugar daily. It’s annoying and painful and expensive!
  • Loading the player...
  • @tamalahoops congrats on the great appointment!!!!!

@WildMagelet boooooo sugar testing, sorry you have to do that
  • @moguippy and @WildMagelet if you don’t mind me asking, was there a reason that you had to do the glucose test so early on? Do you have certain risk factors that made them test earlier, or is it just their practice to test early?
  • @hannahbananas11 - I meant to ask, but forgot, but if I had to speculate it's because when we were TTC before our first PG I had been put on Metformin for a PCOS-like blood draw by my RE. I fixed my menstrual cycles later with diet/weight loss and didn't need the meds this time around, but it's still in my chart that I had taken it. They had obviously gone over my records thoroughly before my appt, so they had a lot of stuff ready for me (like my NIPT consent form) based on my history. Long story short, PCOS can be a precursor to gestational diabetes in some women so it makes sense to check me earlier & more frequently so I can make adjustments accordingly.
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    SD: 21 & SS: 17
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• I have glucose test scheduled for 16 weeks. Cuz I'm a little chubby. 
    Me: 31 Husby: 36
    Married May 2014
    TTC # 2  Since December 2021
    Baby girl W born 2/2021
    Our journey so far...
    (tw loss & infertility)
    Diagnosis: Poor Egg Quality 
    Working with an RE since March 2016
    2 failed TI cycles
    3 failed IUI cycles

IVF Feb - April 2017
    23 eggs collected, 20 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI, 4 day 3 blasts, 3 day 5 blasts, 1 PGS normal
    Transferred 1 PGS normal embryo 4.12.17
    BFP 4.21.17
    MMC due to small gestational sac 6.8.17

Our adoption journey:
    12.25.18 Agency picked and apps submitted!
    5.1.19 Adoption on hold so we can buy a house! 
    1.1.20 Homestudy process started
    3.14.20 First social worker visit
    5.25.20 Homestudy Approved & Submitted to Agency

6.1.20 Surprise! Positive pregnancy test!
    Healthy baby girl born 2/10/2021

• moguippymoguippy member
    edited July 2020
    @hannahbananas11  When we were TTC the first time I was diagnosed with PCOS. I had one HbA1C that was considered “prediabetes” and put on metformin (which regulated my cycles and we were pregnant within 3 months after starting it, even though we had been trying for 15 months before that). After DS was born, my endocrinologist said to stay on metformin if I was considering kiddo number 2. So I’m still on it. Since I had a loss early this year, my OB said to start checking sugars as soon as I got pregnant this time, just to see if that may have had anything to do with it. My fasting number has been just over what they like to see so the endocrinologist said to do the test now to see if I have GD already. I scheduled the test for in 2 weeks (I’ll be 13 weeks). I didn’t even take a GD test last time bc they just had me check my sugars but everything was fine. Normally they are done around 24-28 weeks unless you have a pre-existing condition or glucose in your urine. 
  • Once I got calibrated (several finger sticks later) it's been a fairly simple process. I made a tracking spreadsheet that automatically highlights red if I go over the numbers they gave me and plan on picking up a daily planner to use as a food journal. So far my highest reading has been 95, so I don't foresee an issue keeping them under 120 (which is the threshold given to me by the midwife). I actually really enjoy low carb, we just haven't been able to stick to it since our recent house move and then immediate vacation thereafter.  Guess I have a reason to finally finish unpacking my kitchen now  ;)
    Me: 34 | DH: 46
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*
    TTC 6/13/2015 | BFP #1 5/14/2017 | MMC 7/28/2017 (Trisomy 18) | IL + D&C 8/4/2017

• @WildMagelet what does your fasting number have to be?  They want mine under 100
  • Me: 34 | DH: 46
    BFP #2 6/3/2020

*Trigger Warning*

• @WildMagelet that’s strict!