November 2020 Moms
Options

GTKY: Skincare Edition

bserenabserena member
edited June 2020 in November 2020 Moms
I somehow created the TW Tuesday thread twice, and can't delete, so I figured I would make it a GTKY! 

What are your go-to skincare products? Are you less-is-more or do you have a full on beauty routine? What skincare concerns do you have? How has pregnancy affected your skin? Share all your tips and tricks!

Re: GTKY: Skincare Edition

• Options
    Before I got pregnant I was using curology which I really liked, but it had some ingredients that aren't pregnancy friendly so I stopped using it. Since then my skin has been really crappy! Not sure if it is because of pregnancy or stopping the curology, probably a combo of the two.

My husband is a good bit older then me but his skin is so much nicer (wtf men, lol) and he is super good about using serums and lotions and all that jazz. I need to step my game up!

One product I just tried recently is Elta MD's tinted face sunscreen. A friend of mine brought it when we went to the lake a couple weeks ago and I loved it, so I think I am going to invest in some, although I cannot find it anywhere locally. I keep hearing that using face sunscreen daily is the key to avoiding wrinkles as long as possible though, so I need to start!
  • Options
    I'm a skincare PSYCHO and have honestly been thinking about getting a license to become an aesthetician, so excited about this thread!

I have treatment resistant a-topic dermatitis, so my skin is extremely dry, sensitive, and itchy. I use Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser and once a week I use Fresh Brown Sugar Face Scrub in the mornings. I follow up with Glossier Solution (0.5% BHA, but checked with my OB who said as long as I'm not drinking it or pouring it all over my body, that concentration is fine), and Glossier Bounce (Hyaluronic Acid), La Mer Soft Creme, and Fresh Sea berry Oil. Evenings, I don't do a traditional cleanse in the evening since it's too stripping for me and use Bioderma Micellar Water on a cotton round, instead. Then I follow with my regular products, but if I'm feeling too sensitive, dry or out of wack - sometimes I forgo Solution, or forgo the rest of my routine altogether and use Embyolisse Lait-Creme instead.

@bserena I'm terrible at using sunscreen, but it is SO important. I like Glossier's Invisible Shield and the whole SuperGoop line. I don't use a tinted moisturizer anymore, but when I did, I used Laura Mercier which I really liked. However, just read a study that tinted moisturizers and foundations with SPF don't have enough in it to be effective. I bet, it's true.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m a huge believer in less is more! Granted, I have crazy sensitive skin, so that mindset might be bc I react to pretty much everything 😂 My skin has definitely gotten worse with pregnancy, but I’ve been prone to hormonal outbreaks for years so this came as no surprise. 

Current products:
    Cleanser - cetaphil gentle skin cleanser
    Toner -dickinson’s pore perfecting witch hazel toner
    Lotion - derma-e vitamin C renewing moisturizer 

I also do a Manuka honey mask about every other day at night! I’ve found this helps a lot with keeping my skin moisturized and calming down breakouts; plus it’s all natural honey so I don’t need to worry about chemicals! 

What else does everyone do for pregnancy safe acne treatments? 
  • Options
    yikes I used to be better. I’m at the shucks did I put anything on today ...kind of morning/day.  
  • Options
    OMG I love this thread! I am a lover of alllll things BeautyCounter.  They have released some new products recently and they are AMAZING.  After I became a Mom, I went on the whole "I need to be smart about what I am putting in AND on my body" kick.  It is seriously so important and some of the stuff out there is just downright scary.  Beautycounter prohibits the use of 1,800 ingredients, while the US only restricts 40.  That to me alone is INSANE.  I have also switched Aurora (DD1) to all of their products, so we use their body wash, shampoo and conditioner for her as well. And they have a baby line that we will use for Emerson.

Current regimen:
    BeautyCounter CounterControl (I am oily in certain spots so this regimen has been awesome, especially with breakout prone pregnancy skin)

Step 1: Clear Pore Cleanser
    Step 2: Instant Matte Toner
    Step 3: All Over Acne Treatment
    Step 4: In the AM it is the All Bright C Serum and in the evening it is the Overnight Resurfacing Peel 
    Step 5: Matte Effect Gel Cream

They recently had a 15% off sale and I stocked up on their make-up as well.  Their products are on the expensive side, so I have done transfer buying in steps, but I am getting there! 
  • Options
    @laurenmicheley So for those of us that do absolutely nothing... where should we start? Lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @crystalmir91385 and @name1109 same here. 🤣 I usually use a MAC moisturizer, idk which one, but it was recently stolen by the 16 month old so I have been going without. And now that I’m working from home again I haven’t felt the urge to put on any makeup.  I know I need to start using some serums to avoid the wrinkles.
  • Options
    I love Drunk Elephant products! I use the Beste No. 9 Jelly Cleanser, Lala Retro Whipped Moisturizer, and C-Firma Day Serum. 

I have really sensitive skin. I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how clear my skin has been during pregnancy, but every now and then I’ll break out. 
  • Options
    @lalarose22 Drunk Elephant sent me so many products from their line to try. I really loved them, however was super allergic to something and couldn't figure out what it was! The Whipped Moisturizer is such an amazing texture!
  • Options
    @laurenmicheley oh no! Bummer! The moisturizer is my favorite!! 😍
  • Options
    Thanks at @laurenmicheley I’m going to try and step up my game.
  • Options
    @potofgolden thanks for asking 🥰. Thanks for the info @laurenmicheley
  • Options
    Ummmmmm..... nothing. And I can't even use pregnancy or quarantine as an excuse!  :#

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @crizz13 No worries! I'm the exact same! I had terrible acne as a teen and discovered less is more (for me). I finally have a face wash I love (st ives green tea scrub) but that's it! I don't ever wear make-up either...🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    @crizz13 @acdc1109 Team nothing here too. I have a face wash I like (rose facial cleanser from Mountain Rose Herbs), but I'm out, so it's just plain soap lately, plus basically any kind of a face oil when the humidity is low. But I never wear makeup either, so maybe that's part of it?
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    I also use nothing and don't wear makeup. Thankfully I haven't had many problems with my skin (other than some acne when I was younger) and I'm sensitive to perfume so I'll only use some scent free, nothing fancy lotion during dry weather. Probably because I'm not used of wearing products but I don't like the slimy feel of lotion or sunscreen when it's on my skin. A bit different topic, and maybe theres another board for it, but I knew a mom once who would use coconut oil in place of lotion on her baby, and another mom who used coconut oil for diaper rashes. Anyone here have experiences with that? 
  • Options
    @babywiik I make a bunch of salves/balms for myself and baby - belly balm, nipple balm, baby balm, etc. using oils/butters, beeswax, essential oils etc. There are lots of diy recipes online! I have mostly used commercial diaper cream (although the hippie/all natural kinds), but you can totally make your own of those too!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    Oh man! Before pregnancy/quarantine, I had SUCH a good skincare routine. AM/PM routines with facewash, serums, moisturizers, oils, weekly face masks, etc. Now I barely have the energy to remember to put moisturizer on before bed. I had to cancel my boxycharm subscription because i was becoming overloaded with makeup and skincare products that just sat there. I honestly dont see THAT much of a difference without the routine, but it was nice to think I was doing something for future wrinkles, lol. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Minimalist here. I have oily skin, and I started breaking out on my face, back, and shoulders almost immediately after I got pregnant. And it continues. I thought I'd left those days behind!
    Neutrogena and/or Clean & Clear face washes, coconut oil around the eyes for the fine lines. Coconut oil on boobs and belly after a shower these days, legs and arms during the dry winter months in my neck of the woods. Sunscreen if I know I'll be out for a long time in the sun.
  • Options
    kelk5kelk5 member
    I'm now very simple with my skincare routine. I use a sensitive skin babywipe to remove make-up with a little bit of Vaseline on my eyes to get mascara off. Then I just wash with Cetaphil. 

I did treatments with lasers to damage the oil producing glands, the one suction one to clean out pores, and microdermabresia when I was 28/29. I started getting horrible big painful acne at 26 and nothing worked. The treatments helped and I no longer get those big pimples just smaller ones. I also did a lighter chemical peel with an aesthetician several years ago that helped lighten my dark spots and no acne for like 6 months. I want to do that again but I can't while pregnant or breastfeeding, but one day I'll do it again.
  • Options
    @laurenmicheley I’m trying to add to my “I use Clinique moisturizer when I remember routine.” Thank you for your post. 

I am a firm believer that good habits start young. (Let’s take your vitamins every day at 5pm...maybe one day you’ll use birth control???).  Anyhow, I bought the Cetephil face wash for my 7 yr old daughter and she’s LOVING it. I’m really excited for her. I don’t think she needs more at this point though? I figure an evening habit of washing her face is a good start. The four yr old likes it but I haven’t been as consistent with her. 
  • Options
    another beauty counter addict over here!!!! I use their counter time regimen twice a day, plus some added in goodies for special skin treats and their makeup also.

each morning I use a lipid oil cleanser, facial brightening mist, 2 serums (anti-aging and vitamin c), moisturizer, and the eye cream.

and night I do the same but I only use one of the serums and rotate that every other night for a resurfacing peel and moisturizing balm or night cream.

I used to not care about my skin until I did - -and now my face looks COMPLETELY different for the better and I'm obsessed.
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • Options
    I’m another lady to keep it real simple but mostly because all the options overwhelm me! I clean my face morning and night with clean&clear daily cleanser (it’s orange?) and then apply Olay SPF 15 moisturizer in the morning and MAYBE a rose oil at night if I remember. My mom raised me with washing my face and just the Olay so that’s what I have stuck with. Occasionally I get a hitch to do a mask but that’s super irregular. 

I’ve been debating getting a vanity planet scrub brush (with the three heads). It seems like a good idea to get a deeper clean but...is it necessary? 😂 help. Skincare novice here. 
    Me: 27 DH: 30
    Started dating: 10/2010 ;; Married 10/2017
    Started TTC: 10/2019
    BFP: 12/20/19 ;; MC: 12/24/19
    BFP: 3/5/20 ;; EDD: 11/11/20
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @lovelee3 A skincare brush is overkill! I was an early adapter of the Clarisonic and found my skin broke out a lot more often when I used it, than when I didn't. Weird thing about skin is it doesn't like to be squeaky clean, it prefers a gentle clean! If you want to use a physical exfoliant I recommend a super gentle facial scrub (like Fresh Sugar Scrub) 1x week. 

@name1109 Good habits do start early. Amazing that you are able to get a 7 year old to love washing her face! Cetaphil for her is just perfect!!!!