December 2020 Moms
Options

Weight changes during 2nd trimester

I am a little over 15 weeks (15 weeks + 2 days). I gained 3lbs during my first trimester, and I noticed now that I'm in my second trimester, I've lost some weight (2lbs- so I'm almost back to pre-pregnancy weight).  I was considered overweight before pregnancy.  I feel like I look like my belly is growing but I've lost weight in my face/chest area. I've had several people (who didn't know I was pregnant) mention that it looked like I had lost weight. 

Should I be concerned or just see this as my body adjusting to 2nd trimester? I don't have my next appointment until 16 weeks + 5 days and didn't know if I should bring it up or not. 

Thank you!!

Re: Weight changes during 2nd trimester

• Options
    akorosakoros member
    Are fluctuations (~2-3lbs) normal for you? Speaking only from my own experience, but if I eat a lot one day I'll be 3lbs heavier the next. The weight will then be gone in 1-2 days. I'm just about to enter my second trimester, but during the first my weight has remained flat (+/- the aforementioned 3lbs, but more often than not I'm right at 160, which was my pre-pregnancy weight). That said, my belly is definitely growing, so I know it's pulling the weight from somewhere else. Even the bump changes. I looked more pregnant on a bloated day 2-3 weeks ago than I do now.

From what I read, the weight gain isn't steady throughout pregnancy, while it should go up overall you'll run into periods where you stay the same or even lose weight. I think this might be especially common if you were overweight before pregnancy, since your body has some extra to play around with. If you're eating enough to stay nourished you're probably fine, but if you're concerned I don't see why you shouldn't mention it to your doctor. 

FYI, from the Mayo Clinic:
    Steady weight gain is more important in the second and third trimesters — especially if you start out at a healthy weight or you're underweight. According to the guidelines, you'll gain about 1 pound (0.5 kilogram) a week until delivery. An extra 300 calories a day — half a sandwich and a glass of skim milk — might be enough to help you meet this goal. For women who are overweight or have a BMI of 30 or higher, the guidelines suggest a weight gain of about 1/2 pound (0.2 kilogram) a week in the second and third trimesters. Try adding a glass of low-fat milk or an ounce of cheese and a serving of fresh fruit to your diet.
  • Options
    I had concerns about my weight gain as well. I lost about 3-4 lbs in the first trimester and wasn’t gaining it back for a couple weeks into my second. I brought it up to my doctor and she said something similar to what @akoros said above - it’s not as much of a concern until later into the second tri and the third. Now, I’ve gained back at least what I lost.

I also have to make sure that I’m weighing myself at the same time every morning (I usually do it right when I wake up) because it will change by 3 lbs in a day.

If you’re feeling really tired and lethargic or hungry, that may be a sign that you’re not getting enough fuel which would be a concern. 

Hope you can get back on track!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’ve gained 10lbs so far and I’m 16 weeks tomorrow but I had a very low BMI pre pregnancy and could only eat bagels during the first trimester! I think our bodies are smarter than we think! If we have a little extra fat on our bodies they don’t typically gain as much at the beginning of pregnancy and if we don’t have much extra reserve our bodies will try and make some (by increasing your appetite/ making you crave things that will gain fat)! My midwife said weight isn’t a good indicator of how baby is doing so I’m not trying to worry about it too much and I’m just weighing myself once a month so I don’t obsess! 
  • Options
    @KristaBret I also started off about 20 lbs overweight. I lost 5 lbs in the 1st Tri. But lost my appetite and threw up a lot! Everyone keeps saying I look skinnier now despite being almost 4 months pregnant, but I do have a bump now that keeps popping out more and more - but same deal, arms, face, clavicle, legs are all looking smaller. I also haven’t been exercising due to pelvic rest and I’m eating more now that my appetite has returned. My OB was not concerned at my 12 week appt so we’ll see where I’m at in 2 weeks. I’ll actually be 17 + 0 that day.
  • Options
    I am overweight and I was told that during pregnancy I should only gain 10-12lbs total. I would say a fluctuation like that isn’t alarming especially if you were overweight to begin with and are eating better or less now. With my first pregnancy I didn’t gain any weight until late in the second trimester then I lost some weight when I was diagnosed with Gd and started eating better. Then in my 3rd trimester I really started gaining. I gained about 20lbs total but my son was also 10lbs 14oz :lol: 

I would say if you suddenly lose 10-15lbs without major lifestyle changes I’d be concerned but the 3lb weight loss isn’t super concerning. Definitely keep an eye on it and talk to your doctor if you’re really worried. 
  • Options
    akorosakoros member
    Something else to keep in mind: even if you're eating more, it's likely that the composition of your diet has changed. I drink more alcohol than I probably should, so that's easily 200 or so calories a day that I'm no longer consuming. I have a couple of friends who mentioned losing weight in their first trimester just due to that (they didn't have bad nausea). Not to mention that we're not going out to eat and eating more at home, which really cuts down on the calories. I'm also overweight, so I'm more concerned about gaining too much weight (particularly if it triggers GD) than small fluctuations or plateaus at this stage. 
  • Options
    karmbakarmba member
    I'll echo what @akoros said.  Dropping alcohol and a lot of fried foods (we're getting carryout/eating out a lot less while staying at home) has lead to weight loss for me.  I'm overweight and with my first pregnancy I lost about 25 lbs the first two trimesters and ended up down 10 lbs overall by the time I gave birth.  Have a conversation with your doctor at your next appointment to get their guidance on weight gain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16