November 2020 Moms

Re: WTF Wednesday 6.10

• Today some random (well-intentioned) lady who lives in my building came up to me and told me I look like I lost weight. I looked at her like girl, are you crazy and then said "definitely not since I'm 5 months pregnant." WTF! Why do people feel like it's ok to comment on a stranger's body, even if the intention is good - it's totally inappropriate. It would be one thing if this was somebody who is a friend of mine, but this person isa total stranger for the most part. Also, the last thing I was to hear as a pregnant lady is that I look like I've lost weight since I've been struggling to gain!
  • @laurenmicheley It is so weird to me how people feel it is okay to comment on other peoples bodies! I really don't understand this. I'm sorry you had to deal with that!
  • Loading the player...
  • @bserena It's really baffling. I've struggled with an eating disorder and body dysmorphia for years (but you wouldn't know it) and am overly considerate of people's potential weight issues because of that. You never know what somebody's dealing with and though it was meant with good intention (akin to you look great, something's different about you) it comes off as wildly inappropriate. Oh well, it wasn't a big deal, but a definitely WTAF moment this morning.
  • @laurenmicheley I HATE when people feel free to comment on others’ bodies. I have struggled with the same issues you have and my husband’s family used to be all about complimenting perceived weight loss. It’s so embarrassing and complicated. 
    My WTF happened last week but still on my mind. We took my son to a farm to pet some animals and my SIL who I’m not close with (and who wasn’t even there!) posted pictures of him to her Facebook. My MIL sent them to her, which is fine, but I was shocked to open Facebook and see pictures of my kid that I didn’t post and wasn’t even tagged on. I asked her to take them down because she doesn’t have a private account. It was just so weird! 
  • @surlyjaneausten I find that really really strange of her. Especially since she wasn't even there. I could see maybe if she posted a really cute one and said something like "Look how adorable my Nephew is". But, like a few of them...weird. 

• kelk5kelk5 member
    @surlyjaneausten WTF!?!? That's super weird to post a pic when she wasn't there and didn't take it. I've posted pics of my niece and nephews but only ones that I've taken from something we did together. And I have a private account plus know my brother and SIL are okay with it. Did she take them down after you asked? 

@laurenmicheley I hate when people comment on another person's body, especially weight. I just don't understand it. I know they think it's a compliment but even if it's true that I did lose weight it always makes me think, "was I really that ugly heavier?" 
  • @kelk5 yeah I wouldn’t post a picture of anyone’s kids if I or my kid wasn’t in it, I didn’t take it, didn’t ask the parents, etc. She did take them down but only after calling her mom to complain that I asked. Luckily MIL defended me. 
    @windywoman yeah it was a whole collection of them. Very weird.