3rd Trimester
Options

Stripping membranes...

So im 38.5 weeks, will be 39 at my next appt. Im seriously thinking of asking my midwife to strip my membranes or do a cirvical sweep.. i cant take this heat and homeschooling 2 little kids another minute... just wondering the pros and cons. From what i can see it basiclly cant harm you but can start "things" opnions 

Re: Stripping membranes...

• Options
    So im 38.5 weeks, will be 39 at my next appt. Im seriously thinking of asking my midwife to strip my membranes or do a cirvical sweep.. i cant take this heat and homeschooling 2 little kids another minute... just wondering the pros and cons. From what i can see it basiclly cant harm you but can start "things" opnions 
    Sorry, but not good reasoning for stripping membranes.  Baby needs to stat in as long as possible, and your complaint of heat and being a mom to two others is not a good reason to try and start labor.  
  • Options
    I agree babies need to come when they come. My Old OB did strip mine in my first pregnancy And it did nothing and she did it and two different appointments when we were trying to avoid an induction. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Homeschooling will not get any easier with your newborn here. Stripping membranes doesn’t do anything unless your body is ready. If your doc will do it that’s great.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    My doc gave me the option of membrane stripping at 39 weeks. I'm considering it for several reasons - baby is measuring on the bigger side and I want to do everything I can to avoid a c-section, my body has already started showing signs baby wants to come out (2cm dilated, 50% effaced, baby has dropped, have had some braxton hicks, and pretty sure i lost my mucus plug). I also read and understand that a membrane sweep will not do anything unless your body is ready and baby is ready to come out. However, I also heard anecdotally that it can potentially cause a longer labor (not sure if anyone else has heard that).

At the end of the day, it is your choice and your body and the only opinion that matters is yours. If your doctor/midwife says it is safe and that your baby is developed to be on the outside and it is something you want to try, then that is your choice.
  • Options
    I think i will get them to check and see if im at all dialted first. Baby was measuring bigger then average at 30 weeks but havent heard since... so we will see what the professionals say and go with that!! 
  • Options
    Well i was 3 cm so she went ahead with the procedure so now the waiting game starts!!! Eeeekkkk exciting, scary, fun!!!