January 2021 Moms

Weekly Randoms Week of 6/1

Re: Weekly Randoms Week of 6/1

• BuckeyeNut05BuckeyeNut05 member
    edited June 2020
    Anyone else try the Disney grilled cheese sandwiches since they published their recipe?  I am into these WAY more than I should be. They are a cheesy, salty delight. (I use chive and onion cream cheese instead of regular).  

• aels12aels12 member
    @BuckeyeNut05 I was intrigued but I have not made it yet! FFC I hate cheese but I make grilled cheese all the time for the kids/husband so I think I’ll give it a shot soon!
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m trying to keep myself from constantly worrying about our childcare situation during delivery and in the first few weeks postpartum. I have no idea what covid precautions will look like in January, so I shouldn’t even be worrying about it, but it’s hard not to. My mom was an incredible support for us after we had our first, but she’s high risk so I wouldn’t want her to fly/drive here if risk of contagion is still high. We don’t have any family in the area. We have some close friends we could ask to keep our oldest for 1-2 nights while I’m in the hospital, but it feels like a lot to ask because they have kids of their own. I’ve even considered staying at the hospital and delivering by myself while my husband stays at home. Anyway, this isn’t constructive and thank you if you made it through my disjointed stress rant. Thank you for being a safe space to talk about this.
  • @MaryNog this worries me too! My mom lives in Seattle and I’m in Iowa. She flew in when my first two were born and stayed for 2 weeks. I can’t imagine doing it without her! She’s an overnight nurse so she would sit up so much with the baby in the middle of the night when they just wanted to be held... so all night when I nursed I’d have her help and all day my DH would be awake while my mom slept. 

And of course it was just nice to have my mom there with me. I’m scared of what things could be like in flu season January - ugh! What if there’s a big second wave and she can’t fly out (or shouldn’t). I’m trying to tell myself to just not think about it until it’s closer since so much can change before then - but it’s hard not to be anxious about it. 
  • Thank you for sharing, @lemomma - fingers crossed that all works out for the best!
  • I feel like I’m slacking as a mom. I’m so exhausted and so sick all the time that it’s hard to be super engaged ugh feeling bad that I have no energy this morning
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• @MaryNog I also worry about this. We have an EDD of 1/3. I have asked not to be induced this time.  I'm expecting LO to arrive at the end of Dec. with  that being said. We are scheduled to have my 3 step children for Christmas break. I have no idea who will watch 5 children while we deliver, much less while LO and I stay in the hospital. However, I know that we will figure all of it out when the time comes. 
  • I feel like I am so overwhelmed. DD and DS are almost 4 years apart and I felt like it was a great gap. She was pretty self sufficient while I was pregnant with him (self sufficient as in I could plop her on the couch with a lunchable and a movie and she would hang tight and I could go barf or shower or whatever) and it was amazing when I was newly postpartum and I could go nurse him and not have to worry too much about her. But now with DD and DS (who only turned 1 a couple weeks ago) I am drowning! He is so needy right now and just wants me to hold him but then he is clawing at my face or trying to use me as a jungle gym 😂 He will only be 19 months when this one arrives and I have no idea how I will manage! 
  • @carleym93 I hear you!  Our youngest will be 22 months, so we’ll have a similar age gap. We’ve been asking our 8 year old twins to help keep the baby distracted if we need 5 minutes to take care of something, and it’s been the biggest help!  You’ll get through it, even if it’s rough. My sister has the same age gap with her two oldest, and they are best buddies now, which is one of the parts I’m most excited for. :)
  • Anyone else having a terrible time with the app lately? 

• @stillcozy WHY is the app so awful? It's been better lately, but ugh. 
    @carleym93 Mine will be 4.5 years apart. I am worried they won't be that close, because of the age gap, but I am loving the self sufficiency. He's currently got a lunchable and a movie... LOL
    @MaryNog I am hoping we'll have a vaccine by them. Late fall seems to be the earliest that companies are projecting they will have developed it, and they think there will be a three month lag while they produce the vaccine itself en mass. Which adds up to January. So.... fingers crossed right? 

• @carleym93 my two youngest (boys) are 19 months apart. You can totally do this! I think you’ll be surprised how helpful your daughter will be too. Something that helped me was to make nursing kits. I just a got a few Tupperware bins and filled them with different things. There was a play dough kit with cookie cutters, one filled with beans and various cups and spoons, one was coloring things, another was books and fruit snacks, in one he stuffed Pom poms and pipe cleaners into various bins, just stuff like that. They ONLY came out when I was nursing (or super desperate) and he loved them. I’d put a sheet or tablecloth on the ground, and put the bin in the middle, then I’d watch and chat with him about what he was doing while I nursed on the couch. Sometime it got a little messy, but I decided him making a mess in front of me that is easy to clean up, was easier than him making a mess somewhere else that would ruin something (but that happened sometimes too). I’m not above some tv time and snacks too, but that seemed to not hold his attention for long. 
    1st BFP 6/7/10 premature delivery and loss at 22w2d on 10/4/10
    2nd BFP 10/10/11, EDD 6/2/12,natural m/c 10/13/11 at 6w5d
    3rd BFP 12/25/11, DD born 8/31/12
    4th BFP 1/3/14, DD born 9/5/14
    5th BFP 11/15, DS born 7/24/16
    6th BFP 7/14/16, EDD 3/20/18

• @stillcozy I have these same feelings. I’ve been trying to remind myself that it’s just a season. Soon I won’t feel so sick and we can do fun things for the summer and fall, then the end of pregnancy and newborn life will hit, and that will be another season. Are you keeping your kids safe and fed? Then you’re doing great, and let Disney take over for a while. ❤️

• @savykay I hope I can remember your “nursing kits” idea come January. I love it! Thanks for sharing.  :)
  • @the_road_to_oz I’d love to see that timeline happen, but I’m not optimistic. Usually trials alone can take over a year, especially in cases like these in which we know so little about the virus. Trying not to stress, but also desperately brainstorming options. Such a bad combination :wink:
  • This board has been so quiet lately! Do we need some fun threads like GTKY’s or gif parties to liven things up? 

Also lurked babycenter out of curiously that place is crazy! The drama is insane! So glad to be here on our small board!

• aels12aels12 member
    @stillcozy I was lurking the Dec 20 board the other day and they’ve done some fun GTKY threads, I’d vote yes for something like that!
  • my in laws are coming to visit us in September (we are in California, they’re in Tennessee) and I’m seriously stressing out over their visit. They’re going to church and visiting friends and going to dance recitals, going out to restaurants and even to a wedding. They have family coming to visit them for Fourth of July. They know I’m pregnant and they don’t seem to be worried. I don’t want to tell my husband his parents can’t come visit but I’m seriously worried about the possibility of them bringing the virus. Am I being crazy?
  • Its so weird for me to be on the later end of a BMB. Both DD and DS were due on the 3rd of the month of their respective BMBs and both were born early. DS is the oldest on his BMB and DD is one of the oldest (but her board had, and still has, hundreds of mamas) so its so bizarre to not be dur until the 20th and have so many of you closing in on the first trimester already! 
  • @carleym93 same here. My due date last time was the 11th so I was in the first half. Now I’m the 30th and it’s so strange
  • BuckeyeNut05BuckeyeNut05 member
    edited June 2020
    @marikkita12 um, no. Your house, your rules. I would have no problem telling them no if that makes you nervous. Especially if they know you’re pregnant. 

Edited to add: the fact that you are more concerned with hurting their feelings than they are about your health in the middle of a pandemic speaks volumes. 
  • savykaysavykay member
    edited June 2020
    @marikkita12 I agree with @BuckeyeNut05. We went to see my in laws over Memorial Day to visit my sons grave. My MIL has diabetes, so even though she isn’t “at risk” per se, her health isn’t great, and they weren’t comfortable with us staying with them. We got a hotel room out of respect and everything turned out fine. We were still able to see them in outdoor settings while distancing-the cemetery, and take out lunch in a park.  Maybe these are things you can suggest to them? That you would still love to see them, but staying with you is too risky right now. Or rather, have your DH explain this to them. 
    There’s so much growth, change, and other stressors happening during pregnancy, I would hate to add catching COVID to that list. 
    ETA: I had another idea, bring it up with your Dr at your next visit. He’ll either calm your fears, or validate that’s it’s not a good idea, then you can bring up his concerns about it with your in-laws as well. 

• I haven’t been able to load the community tab on this app for like a week and it finally worked today! So uh hi again 😂 We sold our house five hours after it was listed and our offer was just accepted on the new one on Monday. I finally had a few minutes to just sit and *be* this morning. Between the housing shuffle, car trouble, major appliance trouble, a two-day spotting scare, and three kids, I’ve been at our local protests and trying to do my part to bend that moral arc of the universe a little extra. 
  • @marikkita12 I’d feel nervous, too. Completely agree with posts above that you wouldn’t be wrong to bring it up and request some measure of social distancing during their visit.
  • @marikkita12 No, I’d feel the same way 100%. I’d definitely bring it up. 
  • @marikkita12 yeah I’d be uncomfortable with their plans she violently knits

@sheviolentlyknits yay for the house selling so fast! Also yes the app has sucked so much this week!

• They are definitely not staying with us. Even at the new place we don’t have room for two extra people. They always get a hotel but things are still fairly locked down here so there’s not a whole lot of things that can be done. Playgrounds aren’t even open so there’s no entertainment for my 3 year old. I guess there’s no point in stressing and I’ll definitely bring it up at my appointment and see what she says. Thank you for your support. 

@sheviolentlyknits where on the app is the community tab? I can’t find it anywhere on mine so I have to load things through a browser. Congrats on the house shuffle! We are moving next week so I understand
  • @marikkita12 It’s really convoluted. From the home page of the app click the menu button at top left, then click the arrow beside “pregnancy” to expand that into topics, scroll down and most times out the bottom there is a “Community” link.
  • So DH’s bday is tomorrow but I have to work so we are going to have a nice dinner tonight. I have no idea what to do gift wise because he hates celebrating his birthday and is so hard to shop for. I think I’m going to let the girls pick out something for him and get him a visa gift card so he can get a new game or something maybe even though I hate giving gift cards

• @stillcozy OMG just looked at BabyCenter's board. What a mess. How do they keep track of anything?! It's just throwing posts out into an abyss!
    @marikkita12 I'm late to this but that's encouraging that they're at least not staying with you. I think it's totally reasonable for you to require social distancing pretty much the whole time! Do you have outdoor space where you can hang out? If they weren't flying there it would be a little less worrisome. We're finally seeing my parents in a couple of weeks but we're just meeting them halfway between where we live and a campground they are going to be at, to have lunch at a park. 
    @sheviolentlyknits That's so great that you went to the protests!! We had some big ones here last week. Ordinarily I would definitely be at them and have gone to other BLM protests before but I'm being paranoid about the pandemic (mostly just b/c of the pregnancy) even though I know outdoor transmission seems like less of a concern. My friend who's an OB-GYN said she thought I could go if I wear a mask and distance myself but I still chickened out over the weekend. Were you able to socially distance enough and feel safe?
  • @whitealbum29 I don’t know the quick scan gave me anxiety. I’m guessing it’s like WTE and there is no order and it’s a total free for all haha. I like order so I’ll stay here in my safe space 😂

• Are anyone's kids back at daycare? Ours is opening June 30th with limited capacity until September.  It's a center but owned by a family and they have two locations basically right down the street from each other.  I guess not enough people are coming back for the summer so they're condensing the two centers into one.  We got an email today that my 3 year old got a spot for June 30th but I'm just feeling so conflicted about sending him back.  My work is completely suffering and it would be extremely difficult to do this for another almost 3 months but I also feel guilty sending him back. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @feelingjovani, ours opens on Monday and we are sending our 2-year-old daughter. We made a pros and cons list, and decided that the benefits outweigh the risks. My husband and I both have demanding jobs, and we basically have Daniel Tiger or Sesame Street on all morning. She doesn't get enough attention from us because we are either on calls or we have deadlines, and I feel so guilty. Our center sent us a long list of precautions they were taking, and we feel comfortable with them. We just know she'll be so much happier being around other kids (even though there will only be 3 of them in her class for now), she'll learn so much more, and of course, she'll get more attention. And she will have less stressed parents because we can actually get our work done!
  • @feelingjovani yup, ours is back at daycare. The only ones allowed to be open here are small daycares with a stable group of 12 children. To us that sounded reasonable, and we know the other parents well enough to trust that they are social distancing and being careful.
  • I think it’s physically impossible at this point in the game (10w 4d) but I could swear that I popped a bump yesterday. I didn’t eat much of anything during the day so I don’t think it’s bloat!
  • @supersara2 yeah, we're in a similar situation.  I feel like we can't give him enough attention and he's basically playing alone all morning.  I know that it'll be better for him to have a routine and be able to do more activities it just feels so weird to send him back in 2 weeks after over 3 months at home.

@marynog ours is a center but they are limiting the classes to a max of 10 kids and the classes won't mingle.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @marynog the bloat and blump for me is a very real struggle 😂

• We are in the middle of moving and obviously my husband has done most of the heavy lifting. Because of this he got all sweaty today. My pregnant nose can’t stand his smell right now and he wants to cuddle. This is making my already bad nausea worse