October 2020 Moms
Options

Ask a STM, June Edition

2»

Re: Ask a STM, June Edition

• Options
    jgrodojgrodo member
    @mamahosch I found it helpful to do. I would just freeze a portion or two of what iwas already making. So I froze instead of having leftovers, little less meal prep that way. The begining was just hard to figure out everything that having some frozen options was helpful. That being said we've since moved have a tiny fridge and freezer so we'll see if able to do it this time.
  • Options
    @mamahosch I personally didn’t feel it was necessary to have premade meals but I guess it just depends on the person/family.   My daughter came home as a preemie before most of my previous bmb even had their babies.   She was on an every 2 hour feeding schedule from the nicu.   Even with getting up every 2 hours every night I was just fine with cooking.  I got bored on maternity leave  so cooking wasn’t a challenge.  I also didn’t have any help either.  No family members helping out.   So if you have family that wants to cook for you then go for it!  Even now with my second on the way I don’t think it’s necessary.  Just some basic meal ideas are really all I need.   At the end of the day it’s really up to you and how you think you’ll handle the sleep deprivation with a newborn.   
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mamahosch my parents and ILs made us freezer meals when they were visiting during the newborn period. We didn't use it much right away, but it was super helpful when I went back to work. 
  • Options
    @mamahosch We didn't with DD and won't this time either. However, DH is the one who cooks always so I never had to focus on that.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    @mamahosch I prepped a lot of crockpot meals in freezer bags I could just dump in and it was very helpful. I will definitely be doing it again, but if you don’t meal prep now you may not find it helpful. I also made a huge batch of lactation cookies and froze the unbaked dough balls so I could bake them fresh a few at a time. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mamahosch I am on team “not necessary,” especially if it stresses you out. But it helps if your partner can cook, if you have family/friends nearby that can help provide meals, or if there’s room in the budget for more takeout than normal. I think where it’s most helpful is reducing the number of dishes at the end of the meal, since my husband and I both HATE dishes (and our dishwasher SUCKED). We didn’t do any freezer meals before our first; it stressed me out too so I put it off till the end, and then I ran out of time because baby came 3 weeks early. That said, I probably will do A FEW this time... I have America’s Test Kitchen Make-Ahead Cookbook that I am looking forward to utilizing! I also like @Kurtni’s idea for frozen cookie dough!
  • Options
    @mamahosch No it isn’t necessary but it’s super nice to have. We made like 6 meals we could pop in the oven or crock pot. We also got super lucky and our friends and family did a meal train for us that covered us the first two weeks. If you have some go to easy meals that you can make or SO can make you’re all set. 
  • Options
    @Kurtni lactation cookies?
    Current pregnancy -
    First BFP on 1/4/22.  Due date 9/13/22.

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    @mamahosch agreed with what's been said, if you don't meal prep maybe it's not a big deal. I had my mom to help for 6 months and she made food every day plus a large lasagna before she left. I think I only premade some burritos/breakfast burritos and some chili and pretty sure that was it. 
  • Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    @kboydbowman This is the recipe I used- oatmeal anything definitely helped my milk supply

https://www.simplisticallyliving.com/homemade-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-lactation-cookies/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! DH does his share of the cooking, and most meals either of us make are simple recipes so it may not be a big deal for us then.
    @jgrodo I like the idea of freezing leftovers... I may talk to DH about that! 
  • Options
    @mamahosch What @morethanamama reminded me that I did ziploc baggies with frozen fruit veggies for smoothies. So I could make a quick breakfast if I was a zombie. DH doesn’t cook (if he tries we’d be poisoned 😆 ) so I did it with that in mind. But if he cooks, I wouldn’t stress out about it at all. Also so many food delivery services are available now that if neither of wants to cook you can order! 
  • Options
    @kboydbowman I made these no bake lactation bites for the freezer and they were great. The brewer's yeast and oatmeal are supposed to help supply. For me though I think it was more that they just provided a quick snack and source of calories because I was seriously starving the first few months while nursing. https://thebakermama.com/recipes/no-bake-lactation-bites/
  • Options
    Ok this is a weird question and I know it. Can I bring pee from home to my ob appointment? The bathroom in their office is small, and the toilet is smaller than our toilets at home. With a growing bump, it's only getting more awkward to try to collect and last time I dropped 2 (partially filled) cups into the toilet (AND had to fish out 🤮) before I was able to successfully get them a little squirt. It stresses me out and they take my blood pressure immediately afterwards, and I'm sure that makes it higher.

I feel ridiculous asking, but if it won't make a difference, I think it would ease my anxiety if I could just bring it with me. There are very few times I wish I had a penis, but jeez they have it so much easier!
  • Options
    @peanutorcookie I’m not sure the answer to that, but my OB isn’t even doing urine samples because of COVID. But I totally get why you’d want to! That’s frustrating!
  • Options
    @peanutorcookie Maybe you could ask them if you could take home some test strips to use at home? At the practice I go to we test our own urine samples for protein and glucose and write down the results to discuss with the midwife. 
  • Options
    That reminds me, I wonder if Covid is why I haven't done any urine samples! I used to do them every appointment...
  • Options
    KurtniKurtni member
    @peanutorcookie I would definitely ask first so they don’t suspect drug use if they get a randomly cold urine sample. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @peanutorcookie That is definitely something you would need to ask your practice, as policies will vary. My dr too has not been doing urine samples because of Covid... my first appointment after all the precautions took effect I had to pee so bad, and I was trying to save it for the sample, but then they didn’t make me give one!! 😂
  • Options
    I agree about the test strips at home. I haven’t had an in person visit since the first one at 8 weeks so I’m not sure if my practice is doing them in office or not. I go next week so we’ll see!

Side note though, that’s pretty ridiculous. Are they worried about germs in the bathroom between patients? Provide some Clorox wipes and gloves for patients to wipe down before/after. 
  • Options
    @coldbrew I don't know about where you live, but in my county almost 90% of things are open. Yet, I can't have ONE person with a mask during an ultrasound...ummm....
  • Options
    @coldbrew No visits since 8 weeks sounds scary!  I would be going insane...
    Current pregnancy -

Four prior losses, no living children - 1 first trimester miscarriage, 1 blighted ovum, 1 chemical, and one extreme premature live birth daughter who died at 15 days old.

• Options
    Anyone dealt with restless legs during pregnancy and have any tips? It’s been been driving me bonkers the past few nights. 
  • Options
    @mckjacks I got this lavender lotion through 8Sheep Organics which is helpful.
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    @mckjacks magnesium salve helped me a little bit.
  • Options
    @mckjacks I take a magnesium supplement every night (have for years) and haven't experienced RLS since. It used to be nearly every night.
  • Options
    @peanutorcookie @kboydbowman @themoonandme I’ve been taking magnesium since before even getting pregnant. ☹️ I’ve read that low iron can also contribute to RLS and I’m at a greater risk for low iron with twins. They took my blood today so hopefully I’ll find out if that’s contributing 
  • Options
    Has anybody been treated for anemia while pregnant and was not treated through supplements? I’m worried about developing anemia because I’ve had iron problems for a few years before getting pregnant, but I can’t take iron supplements, they completely mess up my digestive system and I actually had to take a trip to the ER once because I was severely dehydrated from them. The only treatment I can tolerate is getting iron infusions when my levels get too low. But I don’t know if that’ll be an option right now with everything COVID going on right now since I had to go to a cancer clinic to get the infusion. Just wondering if anyone knows of other treatment options for anemia that aren’t iron supplements.
  • Options
    @ccstlln1 can you do iron infusions?
    Current pregnancy -

• Options
    @kboydbowman I can, but its only one specific type. The first infusion we tried I broke out in bumps all over my hands and feet. They weren’t hives and they weren’t itchy, but doctors didn’t want to try giving it me again in case other side effects developed
  • Options
    @mammatoomc Resurfacing this... is the kiinde good for travel? We have a *tentative* trip planned for next spring, assuming the virus is under control, and someone suggested it. From what I can tell, it seems like there would be just as many parts—pump, milk bags, bottle parts—but the difference is that I wouldn’t need to wash a bottle because the milk is pumped into a bag, then fed from the same bag using their special bottle frame? Am I understanding that correctly?