January 2021 Moms
Options

NIPT under 35 ?

Hi,
I really think to do that testing, but a bit scared reading about ridiculous bills people are getting, even over 35 yo.
Please, share if you have any experience  or if are planning to have tests or not 

Re: NIPT under 35 ?

• Options
    karmbakarmba member
    Lurking from D20 - call your insurance company and ask if they are covered for you specifically.  I had my son 3.5 years ago at 30 and it wasn't covered.  Now I'm 34 (won't be 35 by EDD) and I called my insurance company and they said it's medically necessary and will be covered as long as they use an in-network lab.  My OB told me that a lot more companies are covering them under 35 now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    edited June 2020
    *lurking from... well everywhere*

If your insurance company won't cover it, speak directly with the testing company that your OB uses. They'll often offer very cheap rates for testing without insurance coverage. With my first pregnancy it was $250, and with my second it was $100. Both without submitting to insurance. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m 35 and will be 36 by delivery but I’m leaning towards not having it done. I didn’t have it done with the other pregnancies and I just don’t know if I want the extra worries about potential more invasive tests needed because of a false result. I’ll talk to my midwife about it at my next appointment, but so far I’m leaning towards not having it done. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did it last year when I was 30. Your doctors office should be able to give you paperwork on companies that will cover a lot of the cost for you if you just ate a questionnaire. That’s what I did and I think it ended up being $2/300 
  • Options
    Thank you  for all answers
  • Options
    I’m doing it this time, even though I didn’t with my other two and I am under 30. Like @cricket1688, my OB has a questionnaire and it will be about $250 for us to get it done. 
  • Options
    aels12aels12 member
    I’m going to do it and am only 31, I’ll have to ask my OB about the questionnaire!
  • Options
    My husband was over 40 with our first, and that is the male cutoff for an increase in genetic abnormalities, so I had it done (and covered by insurance) at 30. This time I'll be 35 by the time the baby is born, so it will be covered even though I am not yet 35. They will also do it if you have certain ethnicity - I am French Canadian and Tay Sachs is big within that group. 
    It ended up being about $80 after insurance with my son, but there was paperwork you could do where you donated the results (gave them permission to use them in studies) and without insurance it dropped it to $120. That was the Harmony test. I've already hit my deductible, and we have 100% after deductible, so this shouldn't cost us anything OOP.