December 2020 Moms
Options

Nursery Chat

Re: Nursery Chat

• Options
    @tryingktogku We are planning to have the baby sleep in our room for the first couple months.  The AAP recommends six months to a year, but I understand where @bearmomma1 is coming from with both parents and baby waking each other up.   We will evaluate moving once we all get settled in a little bit.  We are planning a nursery setup, but keeping it pretty basic I think.  Our design style is minimal at best. 

Are there things from your girl plan that you could make more gender neutral or boy themed?  Maybe thinking about that might give you a jumping off plan on how to change it.  
  • Options
    @tryingktogku We room with baby for quite awhile. It's much more convenient for nursing and overnight changes 🙂
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @tryingktogku we absolutely always have a nursery set up. We're all on the same floor so it's NBD to have baby down the hall, and we all sleep better. We are only starting the baby in our room this time so baby doesn't wake up DS. BUT if baby is too much in our room baby will move into the living room  :D Boy/Girl it doesn't matter when it comes to "decor". All babies are stimulated by bold colors and patterns, they don't care if it's pink/blue or anything else. IMO when it comes to a nursery, function first. 
  • Options
    We’re in a 2br apartment, so the second bedroom is going to be his room combined with some storage. He’ll be sleeping in a pack and play in our bedroom for the first bit, but the second will definitely be set up for him. We might be moving when our lease is up in March, but we haven’t decided yet. Living on the third floor with a mobility issue and chronic pain is awful 😣
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020
  • Options
    @gingkomama Thanks! That’s reassuring because some people think we are crazy but I’d rather have another baby than wait and miss a chance between my kidney disease and GD! But honestly, I also don’t care what they think at the same time and usual I would because I’m a people pleaser lol
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    @tryingktogku I was having a hard time too used a lot of Pinterest posts for inspo, and also ended up doing a room design on Havenly.com. I’m not doing exactly what they designed but using a lot of the colors/patterns they put together! 

Also we’re going to start with baby in the room, but I have a feeling my husband isn’t going to be able to handle it for very long if she’s a very loud sleeper.
  • Options
    We bought a new crib for baby, it’s grey. But just came up with The idea of maybe reusing DD’s dresser since it has a changing table attachment, instead of buying a whole new one. But it’s white. We have another tall white dresser we can put in her room. Also planning on putting the nice comfy glider in the new nursery, which is also white. Weird to have mismatching colored furniture? It got me going with the idea of a grey and white nursery and then pick an accent color to spice it up.
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    @bearmomma1 - I think a gray crib with a white dresser and glider would look great!! I like mismatched furniture! We're planning on doing a white crib, white changing table and a blush pink dresser in the nursery!
  • Options
    @bearmomma1 - DD's nursery has white furniture and soft gray walls and I *love* spending time in there - it's so soothing! The color combo also lends itself well to a lot of different secondary color choices for linens/accessories as well :)
  • Options
    @bearmomma1 omg I love that for names!!
  • Options
    hham10hham10 member
    Today we had board and batten put up on the accent wall and over the next couple of days we’ll start painting! We already have the furniture since this is our 4th he will get the hand me down crib and dresser 😂 I will splurge on new bedding and wall decor though. 
  • Options
    @hham10 I love that deep blue color! It looks great!
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    @jbal918 thank you! I’ve always wanted a navy wall and this was the perfect reason to do one! 
  • Options
    *lurking from November BMB* 
    @shelmcclel your nursery plan is gorgeous! Would you mind sharing how you did the 3D rendering? Was it a specific website or something?
  • Options
    @bserena I did it through a designer on Havenly.com! It was $100 and a really fun process!!
  • Options
    Just as an FYI - you can use floorplanner.com for free to plan the layout of your nursery! I've been playing with it all day! You measure your room, create a custom floorplan and then you can scale all the furniture you place to the exact measurements of the furniture you are looking to buy! You can even make these really awesome renderings of the space! 

• Options
    All my nursery furniture is in and stacked in the baby room in cardboard boxes because DH is very insistent that he is to put the nursery together. So there it shall sit until he comes home sometime before October lol I’ve decided I won’t “decorate” until the furniture is up because the room is small and I don’t want to over clutter it!
  • Options
    @tryingktogku oh man that’s a long time to wait!
    TTC History:
    Me: 36 H: 40 Married 2015. Together since 2010.
    TTC: Sept 2016-Oct 2017
    BFP Oct 2017. DD born July 2018.
    TTC: March 2020. BFP March 2020
    Due date was Nov 2020
    DS born Sept 2020. DS passed away Nov 2020 due to prematurity and birth trauma.
    TTC: March 2021
    IUI #1 Nov 2021, BFN
    IUI #2 Dec 2021 BFP.  MC Jan 2022
    IUI #3 Aug 2022 BFN
    IUI #4 Sept 2022 BFN
    AMH test came back at .081. Was going to move on to IVF with DE, but have decided not to. Will be leaving it up to the universe now.

• Options
    @tryingktogku - OMG I could never wait that long! My DH is away working for 10 days and the crib is getting delivered Monday and the only reason I won’t be putting it together is because I won’t be able to get the box up into the nursery 😂
  • Options
    @feather_heather I know I’ve had to close the door because seeing the boxes makes me tempted to go in there and take it all out haha but it’s the one thing DH reallllly wants to do to feel like a dad pre baby so I gotta give it to him! And he will prob do a much better job thab n I haha
  • Options
    Sorry if this is huge - but these are my plans so far!  The crib and dresser are from DS's nursery and I've already ordered the bedding/mobile.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    @willashbaby.  You mentioned getting a Ruggable for your nursery.  Do you have any experience with that carpet?  My husband and I are just bad at it I think.  We washed it last night and always struggle to put it back on the bottom mat correctly. Not sure how the lady does it one person in the video.  Granted ours is a large rug, but didn't know if you knew a secret trick.  I love that it goes in the washer.  We learned our lesson house-training our Dobie.  
  • Options
    @dobiemom11 mine is a runner so it's pretty easy. I start with it rolled up at one end. Get it all lined up with it slightly over the bottom part and just unroll and smooth as I go. 
  • Options
    So DH won’t be coming home from working out of town until AFTER my drive by baby shower and now my type A personality is in full panic mode because I just feel like I have to have the nursery set up so I can efficiently put away and organize all the goodies my lovely family and friends will be getting for this baby. I just can’t stock it all into that room and wait for DH to come and set it up then unpack it it’ll drive my OCD crazy and I’m not sure how to break the news to him that I’m going to set everything up. Do you think I should tell him ahead of time or just let him come home and voila the baby room is done? I’m torn lol I think he will be a little upset either way because he really wanted to set everything up but he is pushing it real close to baby time when he even gets home lol 
  • Options
    @tryingktogku so I know my DH would want to talk it through. He may end up a bit bummed, but he’d want me to tell him first and explain my POV. I find that 95% of the time he acquiesces, and the other 5% of the time he makes a good case, and I give in to his side, lol. But about this - I think you’re in the right!
  • Options
    @shelmcclel I know and 100% understand why he wants to do it, it’s his way to feel connected to the pregnancy and the baby and a way for him to feel like he is doing something and as much as I don’t want to take that away from him if baby came early and everything was still in boxes in the room it’d make me 1000X more anxious that I’d have to do it all fresh post partum! I am the type of person that likes to be super prepared lol and right now DH is hoping he will be home around the 32 week mark which is cutting it too close for me lol (most women in my family have delivered 4-6 weeks early historically)
  • Options
    @tryingktogku That stinks that he’s gone so long! Maybe you can just set up the bassinet and essentials but wait on most stuff? I’d definitely talk to him about it. I do feel bad that the partners don’t have the same opportunity to connect to baby as we do and that does seem like a big way that he would get to participate and feel involved. Nesting is important for men, too. Plus, even if you did deliver that early, baby would likely spend a couple weeks in the hospital before coming home, I would think. I get it, though, it can’t be easy having everything sitting there!
  • Options
    @tryingktogku. I am not sure what furniture you need to setup, but can you do one piece (like the changing table or dresser) and leave some of the other furniture?  That would allow you to get some of the essentials setup (like the diaper area or the clothes washed etc) but still allow him to be a part of setting up the room.  

I would also consider the personality of DH.  Mine can be a procrastinator which would also add anxiety if you are working close to the end.  Maybe set up a date for when he gets back to work on it and make it a big celebration for the two of you (also an excuse to eat cake as putting together furniture is hard work).  That way you both can participate and make the time special. 

I know it is hard for you to be without him during this time.  It is also hard to walk by all those boxes knowing the work involved with getting everything set up (and let's be honest, some amount of fun as well!).  But your husband is probably aware and feeling both those things too.  
  • Options
    @tryingktogku a good compromise might be you setting up the dresser by yourself.  That way you can wash all of the clothes and get all of that put away.  It's not everything, but it's a good chunk of what needs to be done and you can feel productive.  That way you can set up the crib together, which is the most "baby" and "nursery" item.  You can have the bedding all washed and ready to be put on when it's set up.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• Options
    @tryingktogku so glad to hear the convo went well! I’m dying to set up our furniture but we’ve still got another 4 weeks of renovations to go before the room is ready for furniture 😬
  • Options
    @tryingktogku Oh good!! I hope the talk helped you feel a bit better too!