October 2020 Moms

Week 3 (Oct 15-21) check in: week of 5/18

How far along are you?

Due date?

Upcoming appointments?

Rant/rave?

Questions?

GTKY: What is your current career? If you had to choose a new one and had no limitations, what would you do?

Re: Week 3 (Oct 15-21) check in: week of 5/18

• How far along are you? 17+5

Due date? 10/21

Upcoming appointments? Anatomy scan on 6/8 (a bit late I think... I will be almost 21 weeks. Blah.)

Rant/rave? Rave--feeling good but still not regular movement. Keeping me from freaking out too much since I haven't seen the doc since 12 weeks and won't see them for another 3 weeks yet. Also rave, I think my baby bump is more prominent this pregnancy in a good way. I weigh less than I did last time and I'm carrying higher. Also, this pregnancy is FLYING. I can't believe I'm almost halfway.
    Rant--none really. Can't seem to get off my nausea meds but I'm down to one pill once a day, so that's fine. Didn't go completely off them last time until 25 weeks.

Questions? Nope.

GTKY: What is your current career? If you had to choose a new one and had no limitations, what would you do?
    I'm in a very subspecialized area of medicine--finishing residency next month and then 2 yrs of fellowship to follow. That's as far as I will go in a public forum just because I'm 100% identifiable if I tell more. Things are weird right now with COVID but I hope to go back to work in person in June. I've been virtual since late March. 
      I love my job so I wouldn't swap unless I was in some alternate universe where I had to, but I think I would be an architect. I love art and math and think that might be a good way to use those skills.
  • How far along are you? 18 weeks tomorrow 

Due date? 10/20

Upcoming appointments? 6/3 for anatomy scan 

Rant/rave? rant: I have been waiting for the day I feel baby move but nothing yet. Not even a flutter. I know since it’s my first pregnancy I might not feel it for a while yet but I’m impatient lol. Also I’m still sad DH can’t come to our a/s. It’s our first baby and honestly I don’t think FaceTime will ever replace him being there to see our first baby together. 

Rave: I finally have my full appetite back!! It’s weird, I was never sick with this pregnancy but i had a hard time finishing a meal. Now I’ve been snacking like CRAZY the last couple days even after eating a full meal. Maybe I’ll be able to gain the weight I need now. 

Questions? how long was your anatomy scan? Mine is an hour long so I’m curious to know if that’s normal at every OB office 😳 

I am a preschool teacher (4yo). I have taught kindergarten and reading recovery in the past but I think preschool is my favorite. And I love that in my state we are fully funded by the state within school districts. If we weren’t fully funded as a preschool classroom or in an elementary school building at all I’d probably still be teaching kindergarten since I don’t want to ever teach in a private setting.

I would probably be a veterinary technician. Less schooling as a full veterinarian but still get to work closely with animals in the office. But I don’t think I have the stomach for the surgeries or giving shots lol. And I couldn’t handle it if the pet was dying in the office. 
  • Loading the player...
  • babyodobabyodo member
    edited May 2020
    How far along are you? 18+1 today

Due date? Oct. 18th

Upcoming appointments? Anatomy scan this afternoon, followed by routine OB checkup on June 10th

Rant/rave? Rave - I've been feeling really good, both mentally and physically. I'm getting quality sleep/rest, am able to keep up with housework, and got a lot of self-care in over the weekend (got some sunshine while reading in the backyard on Friday, sat on the porch swing and read a book on Saturday). I'm soaking this all in while I can, because I know once the baby gets here that these little indulgences will be few & far between for a while. Rant - The stress of my mom possibly not being able to move here and us having to find a daycare instead is hovering over me little a little black rain cloud in the back of my mind. It's stressful and the more I think about it, the more I procrastinate, which I know is NOT what I need to be doing right now. I have found three daycares in my area that are good options (2 close to my work, and 1 close to home), so at least I have that. Now I just need to get the ball rolling on actually submitting an application. It doesn't help that communication is limited and tours of the daycares are all but nonexistent right now during COVID.

Questions? Nah

I'm currently active duty military, having served 17 yrs 9 months. I finished my master's degree in clinical mental health counseling with a focus on child & adolescent development this past December, so that will be my post-military career. I'll have 2-4 years of residency before I get my license to practice in my state, and I would love to get my play therapy certificate. My ultimate goal is to work as a school therapist, either at one school or for a school district. If I could do it for free, I would, but that goes against the ACA Code of Ethics, and mama's got bills to pay. 
    Me: 37 / DH: 41
    Due with baby #2: Feb 2022

• @mamahosch I think mine was 30-40 min? They like to take their time and mine let us get some time to just watch and look at baby. It was wonderful. I think they build in extra time in case baby isn't cooperative and in case they find something they need to take extra time on. We had a very experienced ultrasound tech though, so don't assume that something is wrong if it takes longer!
    @babyodo good luck at your ultrasound today! ❤️
  • @babyodo good luck at your ultrasound! So exciting! That’s awesome that you want to be a school therapist. I am currently working on my masters in early childhood (all online). I have a class this fall that ends two days before my due date 😬 

@carrotsandpeas3 okay that makes sense! Thank you! 😊

• babyodobabyodo member
    @mamahosch - My doc told me the anatomy scan will be 45 mins to an hour. It's in the radiology department though, not at the women's health department. And MH can't go, so I'm going to ask if I can video some of it so he can see. Which will be good, because then I can share with his parents in MA, and my family on the west coast, too. If they say no, though, then I'll be satisfied with just getting pics, since we haven't seen her since our 10-week dating scan.

I bought an at-home fetal doppler that took me a while to get used to. I was able to find her heartbeat a few weeks ago and recorded it to share with MH (since he was napping when I did it) since he can't go to my appts with me right now. I promised him that next time I use it, I'll be sure he's able to heart it in realtime. The last time I did it, I wasn't expecting to find anything because it's a cheap $30 one I got on eBay, and after numerous attempts every week I just couldn't find it. But, now that I'm further along and know where to position the wand, it's easier to get it right.

I've felt flutters since about 12 weeks. At first, they were randomly every few days, now it's every time I'm hungry or eating, and then as I lay down at night to go to sleep, with some random movements throughout the day. She's very active when it's time to eat - which is pretty much all day because I am so damn hungry all the time, lol. Nothing detectable on the outside just yet, though.

• amapa20amapa20 member
    How far along are you? 18

Due date? 10/19

Upcoming appointments? 5/28 for AS

Rant/rave? Rave: I was able to stand long enough to do some dishes yesterday...and hubby showers me with gratitude whenever I do the most minor thing, it makes me feel good!  :D I honestly don't know how you STM+ manage!

I'm a biologist, I love my job and can't imagine doing something different. Like most biologists, though, as I advance in my career I spend less and less time outside, which is a bummer, but it's a fine line to draw - I want to be home sometimes too.
  • How far along are you?
    18 weeks yesterday! 

Due date?
    10/18

Upcoming appointments?
    I have my A/S booked for June 9th, although I'm looking at transferring to another practice tomorrow, so for now appointments are a bit up in the air. 

Rant/rave?
    Rave is I've suddenly felt a bunch of movement over the weekend, by this point last pregnancy I was feeling so much and every single day.. so that's difficult, but hopefully I catch up soon and start feeling stronger kicks! 
    Rant.. I hate anterior placentas. 

Questions?
    None for right now 

Currently I'm not working, if I got to choose a career... Honestly there's so many things I'd like to do, today I'd go the Midwifery route. 

@carrotsandpeas3 my A/S is scheduled for 21 weeks as well and it's later than everyone else I've heard from. 
    I was really hoping to do it on my birthday 5/31 when I'm 20 weeks.. if I transfer care I'll ask to move it forward. I'd rather it's earlier and we do a repeat than too late and we miss something. 

• @kalesix3 I talked to my DH about how late mine was scheduled to get his opinion because he's a radiologist. He said really the only reason the do it sooner is because there is a point where baby is too big to see some stuff, so 18-20 is ideal. He said being 21 or almost 21 won't make a significant difference though so I'm not worrying about it. He said it's usually more like 24+ where things start getting challenging. Sure, it's a pain to wait 3 extra weeks for my sanity, but I got an ideal appointment time for my schedule, and their ultrasound schedule is usually pretty booked up.

Also, TW termination discussion--I think they also try to do it by 20 weeks because there are some medical distinctions between terminating a less than 20 week versus a more than 20 week fetus if something awful was found at the A/S. I won't get into those unless anyone wants me to. End TW
  • @babyodo is your office in a large hospital setting? Mine is it’s own OBGYN office building (which all Unity Point clinics are, whether it’s peds or family medicine, etc) so ultrasounds and everything are in one location. It’s nice. I also ordered a fetal Doppler and it’s been such a stress saver. I’ve been able to find the baby’s heartbeat since about 11 weeks.

• How far along are you? 18w

Due date? 10/19

Upcoming appointments? A/S on the 28th

Rant/rave? I feel like I get short of breath easy already. I feel huge already!

Questions? Nope

I am a pediatric RN and I work in our children’s hospital’s urgent care. If I changed it would just be specialities - I’d want to work in the NICU. I just can’t handle night shifts anymore and there’s no daylight only option :(
  • babyodobabyodo member
    @mamahosch it's at a military hospital, which is HUGE. Seriously, I have to allow myself an extra 15ish minutes just to navigate from the parking garage (which there are two) to where I'm going in one of the three buildings. So far, though, most of my appts have either been on the 4th floor of one building or on the first floor of the other building, so it hasn't been too difficult. After driving 45 minutes (drive includes going through a bridge-tunnel) to get there, it's definitely an expedition whenever I have an appt.

Anatomy scan went great! They give me a disk with all the images (77 in total). I have a few things I want to look up as far as her measurements go, since the ultrasound tech wasn't allowed to answer any of my questions, so I knew not to even try to ask. He did tell me she weighs around 8oz with a BPM of 140, so that's good. :)

• @carrotsandpeas3 yes you're right 21 weeks is definitely not too late to see everything, my concern is more with scheduling a repeat after 21 weeks with everything we have going on in June. Anecdotally I have heard bad things from women who did have 21/22 week scans but if I change providers who really knows what will end up happening. 
  • With my first I didn’t have an anatomy scan until week 22. It just happened that way didn’t even think twice about it. Then she didn’t cooperate and refused to show her face. So I had another one done at 25 weeks and everything was great. I wouldn’t be too concerned but I know I hate waiting. My office didn’t realize I was going to be almost 19 weeks at my appt so they had to scramble to squeeze me in for anatomy scan before my appt. She did call and tell me to drink some oj and eat a banana on my way to the appt so now I’m kind of excited and less anxious. 

@babyodo  I love places that give you a disk! I wish mine did but I’ll have to settle for the pictures. 

How far along are you? 18 + 5 

Due date? 10/16

Upcoming appointments? Tomorrow for anatomy scan and check up. 

Rant/rave? I’m allowed to bring my husband but my toddler can’t come. I can’t find anyone to watch her so husband has to stay home with her. It’s super depressing to be going alone but I’m just trying to let go of the things I can’t control. 

Questions?super glad y’all mentioned the length of the scan because I was assuming it would be like 15 minutes. 

Has anyone ever done those private sonogram places? There’s one by my house that allows my daughter and husband to come with me and I’m debating doing it so they can see her too. 

Currently SAHM, but before we got pregnant I was applying to go back to school and get my law degree so maybe some day I’ll do that. 
  • babyodobabyodo member
    @babycakesday A former coworker of mine is about 12 weeks ahead of me, and she had an ultrasound at one of those private sonogram places that does 3D/4D so that she could bring her husband since he couldn't go with her to any of her recent appts. She highly recommends doing it, especially after 26 weeks since that's when they can get a good shot of the baby looking all chubby and more like a baby than an alien (lol). The first initial one was $80 and then if you return it goes down to $60 for return appts. I'm considering doing this, as well, since MH couldn't go with me to my AS on Monday and he won't get to go with me to my upcoming OB appts at the hospital for the foreseeable future, and I want him to feel included.

• @babyodo this one does a second trimester scan for $65 and a 10% discount if i come back for the 3D/4d sonogram. I don’t need that but I want them to be included. I definitely had a whole different expectation on how this was going to go for us this time. You know, DD getting to see her baby sister on the screen and being fascinated. So I’ll probably do it since I’ve heard good things so far about it. 

Also DD keeps asking if it’s time to push the baby out. Every day. She’s ready for someone to hold.