November 2020 Moms

Insufficient Fetal DNA

I received a call today that my NIPT came back as "Insufficient Fetal DNA." I am freaking out to say the least and google is not my friend. Does anyone have any experience with this? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Insufficient Fetal DNA

• bserenabserena member
    I don't have any experience with this, but I know someone else on here posted about receiving this result, I think twice, in a previous pregnancy (and that it didn't mean anything was wrong!). Hopefully they will chime in, but if I can remember who it was I'll tag them here. How far along were you when you took the test? Are they doing a retest? Hang in there <3 
  • crizz13crizz13 member
    @bserena Thanks. I am going in for a redraw asap. I just called they released the number was 4.5%. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @crizz13 Tiffany in our J18 group just went through this.  The draw was actually too early and she went back in, had it redone, and everything turned out great.  Ping her!
  • crizz13crizz13 member
    @jaclyn0405 I thought I remembered someone but couldn't find the post/ remember who! Thank you!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @crizz13 hey girl! I 125% understand! I posted about my double insufficient fetal cell results with my DD in the great questions thread. I know it is terrifying, but BREATHE ❤ there's a couple things that factor into it.

1) how many weeks were you when it was drawn? It simply could have been too early. 

2) if you have a higher BMI you are more likely to get an insufficent fetal cells result.

3) along the lines of bmi, but for some odd reason *and this may be purely anecdotal*, but I actually was losing weight while pregnant with my daughter. I was eating healthily and it was not intentional but, I had a high BMI and was losing weight while pregnant. My OB wasn't concerned because baby was doing great. But I made an acquaintance who was going through a similar experience (high bmi, losing weight while pregnant) and she also receieved insufficient fetal cell reaults. 

I know I went through ALL the fears and feelings. 
    After my 2nd insufficent result my OB offered to send me to MFM (I would assume your OB will offer the same). It is 100% up to you if you'd like to follow up with them. I received my redraw results (thankfully) only about a week before my 20 week anatomy scan was scheduled, so I decided to wait on following up with MFM until after the scan. I decided if absolutely anything looked abnormal on the scan we would go to MFM for further testing (amnio). Thank God, we had was perfectly unremarkable in the scan. And it was a shocker to find out LO was a girl! I had been convinced it was a boy. But my DD is now a rambunctious perfectly normal almost 18mo. 

Could there be something wrong? Sadly, yes. But insufficent fetal cells results do NOT always mean there is a problem!!! Please feel free to PM me or reach out. I know it is so scary and waiting is thw hardest thing to do ❤ 

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• PS: STEP AWAY FROM THE GOOGLE! I promise nothing good will come from that except worsening your fears and worries ❤ 

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• crizz13crizz13 member
    @lurvleybunchococonuts Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Going by my LMP (which is what my ob is insisting on using) it was drawn at 10 weeks. Going by my tracking, it was drawn at 9w4d. My BMI is on the higher side but I am about 30lbs lighter than I was when I was pregnant than DD2 and I didn't have this issue with her NIPT (but for her they did Materniti21 and this time did Panorama?)

It sounds like this could be a long road of waiting to see what is going on - I have an NT ultrasound scheduled for Friday and am very nervous, but thank you for giving me some hope that things could be ok. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @crizz13 Just remember that every pregnancy is different!  Even after getting the insufficient results with my DD we're still planning on doing the NIPT at my next appt (around 13 weeks).  I'm hoping it was just a little on the early side and your redraw goes well and that your NT goes perfectly. I hope time goes quickly and stress free and looking forward to hearing how your US goes on Friday!  

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• @crizz13 Sorry you are going through this! My doctors recommended waiting until 11-14 weeks to do both the NT and NIPT. It could simply be that there hasn't been enough time for LO's placenta to release enough cells in your blood stream. Take a deep breath until you redraw and get results - FX this was drawn too early. Good luck at your NT. Sending you hugs!
  • KateBeeKateBee member
    Out of curiosity which test did you take? I think some are more sensitive than others.
  • @crizz13 it happened to me twice last pregnancy and my kid is perfect! They could not give me a reason why it happened. I took the quad screen and it came fine. 

At the anatomy scan they discovered cysts on the baby's brain and said that those plus the 2 insufficient tests could indicate genetic disorders. They had us totally freaked out and basically a complete mess. At the next scan a month later the cysts were gone. My baby was born at 40 +1 completely healthy and perfect. 

Hang in their momma! I know first hand it can be so scary not knowing what is going on. Sending you good vibes! 
  • crizz13crizz13 member
    @windywoman Thank you for sharing - I'm hoping if my NT ultrasound goes well, it'll give me some peace of mind while I wait for the redraw results. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @crizz13 thinking about you today! Still quietly lurking in my minimal downtime. Hugs
  • crizz13crizz13 member
    @mimser Thinking of you. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mimsermimser member
    Great news @crizz13 💙 !
  • KateBeeKateBee member
    So happy for you @crizz13!
  • bserenabserena member
    @crizz13 yayyy!!! So happy for you
  • @crizz13 I'm so glad the redraw went well and the NT scan looked good <3

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 

• Ecat504Ecat504 member
    @crizz13 so happy to see this update! Congratulations 💙💙💙
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • mimsermimser member
    Ok so 14 business days after my NIPT, finally got confirmation of low fetal DNA or at least it didn't pass their quality control. The genetic counselor was super reassuring as my NT scan was good and the previous test I had done put me at what they qualify a moderate risk but still quite a low risk. And at this point, even if I can't get results with the next draw, my current risk wouldn't even qualify for an amniocentesis. So the waiting game continues, next blood draw is Tuesday.
  • crizz13crizz13 member
    @mimser I'm glad you've got the reassurance of NT scan. I'm so sorry you've got to wait. The quality control issue is what the genetic counselor at Natera told me as well. Hang in there. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mimser I'm so glad you finally got results! I was ecstatic to get results the first draw this pregnancy after dealing with 2 insufficient with DD!  Hooray for healthy babies <3

PCOS dx January 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018!