November 2020 Moms
Options

FTM Adjustment

I wanted to start a discussion about the transition and cognitive shift from being a lady without kids to being a mother.

How are you other FTMs feeling about this shift in identity? How did you STM(+)s handle this huge life changing event?

I always figured at some point I would want to have a kid, and this pregnancy was very much a conscious decision. I feel like I should be more excited about it, but I’m not. It just doesn’t seem very tangible yet. Yes, the nausea and having to pee a zillion times a day is pretty tangible, but knowing that I’m growing a human without seeing it or feeling it is strange and new.

Re: FTM Adjustment

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @lurvleybunchococonuts Painting toenails is crucial to feeling good! It’s so important to not lose your identity completely to mommyhood. Thank you for the assurance that it doesn’t have to be that way!

@name1109 I can relate to a lot of what you shared! I’ve been making an effort to bond with baby by talking and singing, but it feels so forced. I’m hoping that if I keep it up it will feel a bit more natural. ...I’ll have to remember your shoe trick!

@kitkatz1990 That sounds like such a challenging time, it’s good you had supportive family around. My family lives out of state and SO’s family is in another country. Hopefully by November someone will be able to visit.
  • Options
    The weirdest thing for me was that we spent so much time preparing for the baby and then BOOM...in the matter of a few hours I went from being pregnant to having this tiny human who needed everything from me. It was just amazing to me how one second I'm not a parent and the next I was. It's a huge adjustment in such a short span of time. We were much better prepared the second time around but it's still very overwhelming until you get to know your baby better. I'll second that we didn't really have much of a schedule in the beginning, but we kinda do now. It's very flexible because I find it easier to just go with the flow vs. having a strict schedule and my kid having a meltdown because things aren't the way they're supposed to be. I do think schedules and routines are important for your sanity, just not so strict that you let your kids schedule control your life!
  • Options
    @krystrist2014 we are the same way when it comes to not scheduling our lives around the baby’s schedule. We still went to restaurants and out shopping whenever we felt like it too, and started taking both kids to movies around 2. They are excellent movie-goers now at 5 and 7, lol. We were even able to take them to Avengers: Endgame last year (when they were 4 and 6) and they weren’t disruptive at all during the entire 3 hour movie. I definitely think it helps if you continue on with the things you like to do and just bring baby with you. 
  • Options
    I’m more of a go-with-the-flow type of person, and SO tends to prefer structure, so it will be interesting how things shake out in the day-to-day. We like to go to concerts... I’d better start researching hearing protection for babies... and maybe stay away from the metal festivals for a couple of years. 🤘🏼😂
  • Options
    @csardaszz I think the biggest thing is it’s your family. Do you but if you need help get help. I like to travel, go places...I’ve just packed up babes and gone.  People might look at me like I have fifteen heads but it’s me. So be it scheduling date night twice a month, flying solo with three kids, breakfast at a fancy restaurant...I’m gonna do it. Children aren’t to be shamed in my opinion. I’ve been shamed by others...but meh. It’s our family 🤣🤣🤣❤️🥰
  • Options
    crizz13crizz13 member
    I was 30 when I had my first and it was a HUGE change going from 0-1. I definitely didn't feel super connected to my daughter before she was born. I also didn't have the RUSH of immediate love at first sight when she was born due to her delivery circumstances...and both of those things are OK. She's five now and literally one of my favorite people on this planet. 

For me the biggest shift has been the mental/emotional overload of being a mom. In my family I'm the default parent https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-default-parent_b_6031128 and it has changed everything. Continuing to work has actually been good for me - it allowed me to still be "me" outside of being someone's mom. 

Pregnancy Ticker