November 2020 Moms

Placenta Previa small clots/spotting

I am 9 weeks with my second pregnancy, first was a c-section. I went to the doctor yesterday with a fear of a MC as I had been spotting for 4 days (5 days now). They did and U/S and found a heartbeat of 161 bpm and the baby was moving. After talking to the doctor she told me I had placenta previa but there's still a chance it could resolve on it's own. She explained that the placenta could be laying on my cervix and causing the bleeding. That was it, no other instructions except no sex and take it easy. Everything I am reading is it's unlikely they would diagnose that so early it's usually around the 18-20th week. Today I am passing small clots and the bleeding has picked up slightly. I'm scared and wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Re: Placenta Previa small clots/spotting

• Ecat504Ecat504 member
    edited April 2020
    I had placenta previa with my first pregnancy. No way would they have diagnosed it at 9 weeks though. The chance of it moving is still very high. I was around 20 weeks when they started monitoring it and they didn’t call it until I was around 38 - 38 1/2 weeks. At 39 weeks I had a c section because of it. 

I wouldn’t let it stress you out at this point. 

ETA: I had pretty bad bleeding around 10 weeks with DD1 but she was good! I had a healthy baby. You will too! 😀

also ETA: my “no way would the have dx it” comment wasn’t @ you. I meant no way would my dr have dx mine that early. 
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Hi! Welcome! We try to avoid one off threads like this to keep the board from getting cluttered. This question is perfect for "The Great Question Thread".
    If you scroll to the top of the board there is a pinned topic entitled, "Read this First!- Board Organization and Rules". It explains how everything is organized.

As for your question- I had placenta previa with my first that was diagnosed at the anatomy scan. I had another check to see if it had moved around 32 weeks. It had not. I had another appointment at 36 weeks and by then it had moved. If it hadn't moved by that appointment I would have been scheduled at 37 weeks for a csection. Everything I read and was told was that they almost always resolve themselves.

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you!