November 2020 Moms
Options

Cravings + Weight Gain

FTM and I’ve heard all sorts of things around weight gain during pregnancy. I’m trying to keep healthy options on hand and be realistic about my intake, but THESE CRAVINGS. I also have been trying to integrate some light exercise (walking the neighborhood) to keep moving. 

I’ve decided it’s unlikely I’ll be able to stick to what I’ve been reading as “guidelines”, but I want to know from y’all — was it hard for you to keep it in check? What were some things you found that helped? If you feel like sharing, how much have you gained in past pregnancies if you’re STM+? 

This is probably the most nerve wracking part of pregnancy for me so far. I’m already feeling like I need maternity pants and I’m only 8 weeks and some change. 

Re: Cravings + Weight Gain

• Options
    You won’t be able to stick around tb? 

I’m not the right person to ask because I just East whatever I want lol. Snack your heart out. 
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Options
    With my first, I lost about 5 lbs, then gained 30 ish. I lost 15 almost immediately, dd1 was 8lb 6 oz. By 6 mo PP I had lost it all.
    With my second I also gained around 30, but lost very little. 
    I am hoping to keep this one around 20 lbs gained since I'm already at a higher weight.
    My biggest craving so far is melted cheese. So nachos, soft pretzels, baked potatoes have been high on my list. ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am nervous about the weight gain, I'm not the spring chicken I was with my other pregnancies. I've already gained a few pounds, since I've been eating like a little piggy, snacking on unhealthy foods. Right now I want cookies and gummy bears, and I have a soft spot for cheese. I'm hoping my cravings get healthier lol! 
    I always gained more than 20lbs, some I gained around 35, one I gained 50! I mostly lost it all during breastfeeding though. But my metabolism isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    With my first, I gained close to 40lbs and lost very little. My second I started out much higher than I did with my first and gained maybe 20lbs. I worked really hard over the past year and lost 50 lbs to get back to where I was before my first pregnancy (6 years ago) so I'm really hoping to keep myself on the lower end of weight gain this time. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so nervous about the weight gain. I was 20+ lbs lighter when I got pregnant with my first and gained about 35lbs only ever got about 10lbs from pre pregnancy weight. 
    I have been feeling nauseous all day every day so so far I don't think I'm over doing my snacking/ small meals. Plus being stuck home I'm not always about to feed my cravings. 
  • Options
    I was at my skinniest before I got pregnant with DD. I gained 85 lbs with DD. I blame it on the progesterone I had in the first trimester... and the no more adderall... and the no more cigarettes... ok and the I was starving and wanted sweets! I lost about 45 lbs in a year after she was born.  I didn’t try super hard to lose weight. I thought breast feeding was going to be a miracle drug. It wasn’t. 
    Dd is 13 mo and Now I’m pregnant again, and there is no way I can afford to put on another 85 pounds. I’ve got to watch my weight this time. I wish I would have been better last time.😩 The only times I have ever lost weight was not trying.. stress. Maybe 2 under 2 will do the trick!
  • Options
    I gained 65 with my first (but I was super tiny before) and lost 60 of it. Im not sure exactly how much I gained with my second but i think it was 45 pounds maybe? Lost all of that. Already gained about 3 pounds at 10 weeks with this pregnancy. I get gestational diabetes which doesn’t help, but I also breast feed and have toddler sized children, so I Th ink that’s why I’ve always lost all the weight.
    me 32 | dh 45
    married <3 11.11.17
     mama. epicurean. plant lover. wine enthusiast.
  • Options
    I gained 42lbs with DD.  I wasn't working out and definitely didn't watch what I ate at all.  I got super into working out again when she was 4 months and lost all 42lbs plus some more and got down to 11lbs below pre-pregnancy weight.  I put 6lbs back on over the holidays, oops lol, so I didn't start out as low as I would like with this pregnancy.  So I am very focused on continuing to work out and maintaining the cravings.  I have gained 1lb so far at 11w2d and I hoping to put on a total of 25lbs and no more.  It took me awhile to lose the weight before and I just can't do that to myself again.
  • Options
    Just for the record. With DD 1 I lost 24 pounds and then gained 15 and lost 10 more when she was born (she was 6 pounds). So in total with DD1 I lost 19 pounds. I was at my thinnest. 

With DD2 I gained about 35-40 pounds and lost about 15 when she was born. (She was 7 pounds). And I retained most of the weight and then put on another 15 or so pounds in the past 4 years. 

I’m down about 12 pounds with this one right now. 
    ECat504
    SO
    SD (11/2010)
    DD1 (09/2014)
    DD2 (10/2015)
    Baby Girl #4 (11/2020)
  • Options
    So with my first I gained right at 40 lbs. I started at 186 lbs and I’m 5’6”. For years I had tried dieting and it just didn’t work out for me . Then after my daughter was born I was lookin weight like mad , (I think my hormones finally corrected themselves I have extremes thyroid issues ) 
    when I got pregnant with the twins I was around 155 ( 9 months after my daughter was born ) . I gained 60 lbs with the twins preganancy ( or close to it ) and I lost everything but 5 lbs with them . 

Things that helped me personally . I am so sick for every pregnancy so I eat what sounds good / I can keep down . I have tried beiNg “healthy” during pregnancy and it just doesn’t work out for me . Exercise is out of the question , hell getting out of bed and off the couch lately being I feel like death. Don’t get too hung up on it . I’m not saying eat a bag of gummy bears every day but don’t stress about weight too much . I have 1 pair of pants that currently for and I am 7+3 lol
    due to the fact that I had dieted almost continuously from age 16 to when I got pregnant with my daughter at age 26 I was terrified to gain weight and seeing the numbers on the scale go up was an aweful feeling . Because of that I chose to only step on the scale at the doctors office backwards . As long as my blood pressure and vital signs checked out I made a promise to myself that I was growing a human and that part wouldn’t matter to me . And it was the best thing I could have done for myself . 

With the twins I had a nurse tell me I was gaining too much weight and I lost it with her lol I’m pretty sure she will never comment on that again.. 

And I am very fortunate to have breast feeding come extreme Easy for me ( I was over producing feeding twins) and for me that’s what helps it all come off once they are out . 
  • Options
    With both of mine, I gained about 30 lbs and lost it all without any particular effort, and I ate whatever I wanted. I’ve always had a high metabolism though. I am a little nervous that it won’t be quite as easy this time since I am older now (I’ll be 30 when I have the baby) and it’s my third, buuuut I’m still planning on eating what I want lol. 
  • Options
    With DS I gained 24 and with DD I gained 23. Granted with DD I had a less than tactful nurse who made me feel horrible for a 5 pound gain between 12 and 17 weeks. Hindsight...I should've smacked her. 🙌🏻 Anyways, with this baby, I refuse to sweat the scale as much and just enjoy being pregnant! I’m still running a bit, but also giving in to some of my not so healthy cravings. Balance! 💜
  • Options
    kelk5kelk5 member
    When I was pregnant with DD my OB always told me at the end of each appointment to just focus on growing the baby. She said to eat what I can, try to eat from all food groups, and if I have a craving that it's okay to indulge.  With DD I gained 35 lbs and lost all but 10lbs then gained 25 lbs with my son, so I actually ended up the same weight on the scale at the end. I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight after DS, a few weeks before I got pregnant again. I didn't have very strong cravings but was very sick throughout my preganancies, I would get nauseous walking around for 20 mins. I didn't work out when pregnant and spent a lot of time laying down. I use to be an athlete but I'm now the most out of shape I've been in my life but oh well, I'll get back to it one day.  I figure with twins I'll gain more but so far I'm only up 4 lbs at almost 10 weeks. I'm definitely starting to show and using my bella band.

Also, remember if anyone tries to shame you for weight gain while pregnant to not listen and tell them off. It's one thing if your doctor/midwife has a legitimate concern that they discuss with you  but there shouldn't be any shaming or rude comments.