July 2020 Moms

Weekly Randoms 3/16/20

I'm not sure how much I will be around this week, but I thought I'd get it rolling. 

There has been discussion (a little bit) about creating a private FB group so staying in touch would be a little easier/simpler. I know it would be for me, but I'm also aware that we are all still fairly new here and some would feel uncomfortable with that at this point. Is anyone seriously interested? Or anyone want to do a poll to get an idea of interest?

Re: Weekly Randoms 3/16/20

• I'm interested! Definitely like the idea since sometimes this page can get overwhelming and hard to keep up with everyone :) 
  • Put me in for a Facebook group, I think at this point it’s easier and less glitchy than the app 👍🏻
  • Loading the player...
  • It would definitely be easier to communicate with all the issues the app has been having, but I don’t know if I’m personally ready to make that jump when we haven’t even gone to a PG yet and weeded out potential crazies/lurkers (love you all, but you never know)
  • @b_1029 I understand wanting to weed out the crazies/lurkers. I think my August 2012 bmb went right to fb, but I don't think we had private groups back then, so I'm really not sure how that worked.
  • @modoodles Thanks for starting randoms! It's been a morning over here!
    We didn't have private groups when I was here with DD's group either. @b_1029 can you tell me more about how this works? 

My thoughts on a FB group are that my profile is on lock-down for non-friends and I imagine we'd just give a flat no to those who haven't been regs (vs a come one, come all attitude about admission into the group) so I'm not super worried, should we decide to go that route.
  • I've been of the opinion to wait until May/June before switching, but with all that's happening right now I think I'd be ok with moving to fb sooner for easier acces. I feel like we have a pretty well-established group here already.

That said, I do think we need some sort of vetting process. With my other group, we had 3 admins who created the secret group and everyone sent them a PM if they were interested in joining it. They then got their email address to send an invite that way and no one had to friend anyone on fb. Then once you were in the group, you had to post a selfie showing you, your bump, holding a piece of paper with your TB username, and a random (specified) object to make it hard to be photoshopped. We also didn't let just everyone who wanted in - definitely had to be a "regular" (but I can't remember exactly how that was decided initially).

@b_1029 from lurking some of the other BMBs, it seems like others are having a super hard time even trying to get a PG set up on here anymore... idk what has changed b/c I've never been in one, but I think you have to no email TB admins and it seems it's not at all an easy or quick process.
  • b_1029b_1029 member
    edited March 2020
    @blaf322 i don’t know all the specifics since I’ve never been on a BMB before but it seems like other bmbs, they move to a PG where they do some sort of vetting process.
    I’ve seen different stuff...but it seems like usually there’s a vote on the BMB for who will be moderators of the PG, then there’s always a roll call type post for those who want to join, and the moderators have some sort of internal vetting process (basically, do we know this person? Are they a “regular”? Do they post often or once in a blue moon?) and send out invites to those particular people. I think most do some some of verification process once they’re admitted to the PG too, like “post a picture of yourself with your bump, username, and a cucumber within the next week or you’re out”...just something random that you couldn’t get from a random stock photo online. 

Eta I guess I do know a lot of the specifics, I did a lot of lurking before I was finally able to join a BMB haha 
  • I have no clue how to set up a private or vetted FB group but I am all for it! The sooner I can trash this app, the better. 😃
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited March 2020
    @b_1029 haha... "I know nothing... just kidding, I know all the things." :D 
    @stlbuckeye132 we did all those same things with the exception of the photo with your username and a random item. Instead, we did intro videos where you had to say certain things... like pecan pie (because everyone says that differently and it was a topic of discussion at the time :D ). I, personally, really liked that b/c there's no way to fake it and it gave me a chance to hear everyone's voice (even if listening to my own made me cringe haha)

ETA- when it's all said and done, I'm feeling pretty laid back with all of this and am happy to go with the flow. Whatever the group wants :smile:

• @blaf322 omg an intro video! Genius! But also I'm internally cringing b/c it sounds so awkward too haha I like that though b/c that's way harder to fake.
  • @stlbuckeye132 it was so awkward. But meh.... we're all good friends now so no one even thinks about it... except the one time it randomly came up recently (so, 3 years after the posts lol). We all got a good laugh out of it b/c we know each other so well and can see where some were just feeling nervous lol...

Oh! Also, people were allowed to delete their video after the deadline had passed. So people can always post and then delete if they don't want the video out there until the end of time :D 
  • I'm one of the pro-facebook group folks mostly because even the webpage for The Bump is clunky/slow and also because I'm now full WFH and the extrovert in me is dying. Happy to have any verifications folks want in order to get in or whatnot, am probably not the best to set it up.
  • My last BMB had to move a bit earlier than norm due to a massive bump crash. It was a HUGE deal with a private group created that excluded people/was invite only and then a second group of us who just wanted to stay in touch. I’m in the second group, I wasn’t cool enough for the first  :D I am in favor of a fb group, it does work better, however I am a little concerned about some of the on the fencers. I think we all definitely know who our main contributors are, but I have noticed a handful of newbies that may or may not become main contributors. I’d hate to cut them out early if they really would like to be in the group, but if I had to vote if I wanted them to know my personal data right now, it would be a no. I’m not saying that to exclude people, just trying to be safe in the online realm. 
  • I think that's very reasonable @kc0711. I honestly have no problem moving to a fb group and excluding people who haven't been around very long- those that remain here could still continue to build relationships and getting to know one another, because that's what this forum is for. They would still be able to continue contributing in the way they recently started. Also- I'm not saying that to be intentionally mean, but I don't know them/they dont know me. And if they've just been lurking since November, then, sorry, but that is their own fault I guess. 
  • @modoodles my feelings are the same with regard to the noobs.
  • I also think that it wouldn't be terrible for those of us who move to a facebook group to still be here periodically (for like J20 check-in) with a reminder we do have a facebook group, at least for a bit, I'd defer to folks on that though.
  • I wouldn’t be super opposed to FB if there was a vetting process, but I’m still not entirely convinced. 
  • I’m in for for FB. This app is hard to keep up with. Except please don’t make me do an intro video. I promise I’m a real human and not a creep 😂
  • I am with whatever the groups wants to do, but I do think a FB page would be easier. I feel like I could participate more. I get really overwhelmed trying to keep up with the threads. 
  • @Mamaof2beautifulgirls do you get overwhelmed because of the volume of posts on the threads? Or is there something else? I feel like I've only seen your posts for your weekly check in and mental health check ins and worry you may feel even more overwhelmed on FB. With the ease of posting, I expect some will be more active. 
  • JessDGJessDG member
    edited March 2020
    I would be down for FB too.  I find it really hard to reply to something when I am late to the game on the app.  Also, the app only works for me now when I am not on the wifi, which is annoying!

Eta: definitely want some vetting process!
  • I'm fine with a Facebook group.  A video would give the introvert in me hives but I can be a good sport.  We seem to not have issues (so far FX) with internet trolls but I have seen the vetting other groups did. 
  • NO VIDEO INTRO. Lol. Sorry just getting flashbacks to when I got tagged to do that ice bucket challenge and I wanted to die when I watched the video back  :disappointed:

But we for sure need a vetting process. This is my first BMB so I'll leave it to the more experienced ladies to determine what is best. I'm also down to move to fb now or later.
  • For fb groups I know there are sometimes questions to answer, maybe we have that with "about me" Qs? Like username, region you live in, why you want to join, etc.
  • @blaf322  it’s the volume of posts. Like each week I check in and think I am going to
    come bag for tags in the afternoon and by the time I do there are so many I can’t tag everyone. Then I feel really bad because I want to offer support to everyone on here. I do read through other’s posts and try to hit love or reply when appropriate. 
  • @pocketrose imo, those fb questions wouldn't be enough of a vetting process to make me feel comfortable. Anyone lurking could say they're one of our usernames and pretend to be us when they're not. To me there needs to be some sort of photo or video vetting process.
  • @stlbuckeye132 we had to do a photo with very specific things, my last one was a sign with your user name and real name hand written and legible, piece of fruit, and bump all showing. I have a funny photo of me balancing an avocado and my sign with a big belly because I had to do mine the day before I delivered (I was the first to deliver in my group a month ahead of schedule). I think it needs to be very specific things like that. And I think we vote for 2-3 admins to run the vetting process. 
  • I am in for a FB group. My actual FB is pretty private so I don’t feel like too much info would be given in a group. I am also not a video fan just because I get so nervous but if I had to I would because I get people being nervous. I tend to check my FB a lot more and like the alerts better so I think it would be easier to participate especially with this app not always working the best. 

• Do we have any volunteers or suggestions for potential admins? Like 2 or 3? If they would want to create a vetting process (specific photo/video seems like the way to go imo) we could go ahead and start? It seems like there are quite a fee interested. And I like sending the invites via email idea, so you dont necessarily need to become fb friends with anyone to join. Not that you may not change your mind/want to later- but that we can still get to know each other more before additional privacy is removed. 
  • @modoodles I think 3 is a good number. That was if there's disagreement over if someone is a "regular" or not, 2 out of 3 would be the deciding factor instead of 1 vs 1. I think @blaf322 would be good at it! She keeps our weekly posts going most of the time :)
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited March 2020
    @stlbuckeye132 bahaha... you say that the one week I don't post (without prior notification) :D 

I'm happy to admin if others are cool with it. @stlbuckeye132 I nominate you :smile:
  • @modoodles or @meanjellybean I know you both have a lot going on, but any interest in admining from either of you? I feel like y'all seem to have your lives together and would make good admins too :D 
  • @blaf322 I'd be open to it too if others are good with that (I'm currently an admin in my other BMB fb group, but I didn't start out as one so the transition to fb would be new to me). Also good with your suggestions of @modoodles or @meanjellybean!
  • @stlbuckeye132 I didn't on my BMB either.... but I feel like this is something we could wing based on experience.
  • I am 100% down for a Facebook group. I try so hrs to participate in here but the app is garbage and doesn’t load 60% of the time. However the idea of finding a cucumber with what my grocery stores looks like right now sounds awful lol. 
  • I think @blaf322 would be a good admin. And totally agree with @stlbuckeye132 about 3 being a good number for tricky situations. Also, if she wants to admin, I'm good with that!

I never have my life together- so let's just get that out of the way 😂 but I'd be happy to do whatever for the group. 

• I’m fine with that group of admin. Let the crossover begin!
  • I like that group of admins!