July 2020 Moms
Options

COVID-19 Chatter

Re: COVID-19 Chatter

• Options
    Currently in my favorite grocery store to stop at after work because it’s always dead. It’s a freaking madhouse. There are no Covid-19 cases in this county or any surrounding counties but that doesn’t seem to matter. I just wanted to get my shopping done for the week and everyone is here prepping for the end of the world. On a brighter note, I did manage to get the corned beef that I’ve been craving for at least a week. I was gonna be pissed if I missed out on that St. Paddy’s tradition! 😂
  • Options
    I'm in house counsel for a large company and they announced cycling teams (team A goes to the office MTW, works from home ThF, Team b does opposite) for foreseeable future. But my boss called and told me to just WFH for now, since I have the added anxiety of pregnancy, taking public transit, etc. I appreciate that, even though I really loathe working from home. I just don't feel as productive.  So this weekend I'll be super Type A and figure out some norms/scheduling that'll help me switch my brain into work mode and not feel like I'm in work mode 24/7 just because my office is now my home. I just need to figure out how to establish a routine, I think.  Total privileged position, because I know many can't WFH. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am at Costco right now and it is insanity. They don’t have any dog food!! This is such a surreal experience, not gonna lie. And buying foods that I don’t normally buy (processed snacks and such) with the thought of well at least my kid will have food to eat. Never something I thought I’d be thinking about. 
  • Options
    Well. While I dont have any children. Washington just implemented NO k-12 school form March 17- April 24. Throughout the whole state. 😬 

• Options
  • Options
    @rachelredhead I’m also so bad about being productive while WFH. My friend used to do it full time and said she had to get up, go to the gym, shower, and put on semi normal clothes to get herself in the right mind. I’m sure just getting into a routine will help...I need to do that too, today was my first day of WFH and I was a slug all day long. 
  • Options
    My company just sent everyone a "Guidance for remote work" email, my manager just told me to take home my laptop to be prepared to stay at home next week, Monday is a holiday here in Mexico so not sure if we are coming back Tuesday or in a couple weeks....

I really don't think I will be able to do home office... I will more likely be in pjs all day :lol:

• Options
    @kc0711 my work was talking about this. I told them time to start recruiting some more nurses 😂
  • Options
    I wonder, given this craziness, if now/next week could be a good time to go off this site and onto a more interactive/up to the minute site like facebook or what not. I've also gone full remote at work and the extrovert in me is dying for more consistent human interaction.
  • Options
    @kc0711 A FB friend posted that her local store was out of TP, soap, sanitizer, all that stuff - but the shelf of condoms was full. LOL
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • Options
    meanjellybeanmeanjellybean member
    edited March 2020
    @treeofcheem that’s hilarious. There probably will be a baby boom. Not in my house even if I wasn’t already pregnant lol. I’m already on the verge of killing my spouse and it’s only been one day of working from home. And they just announced that schools will be closed for two weeks so I’m assuming daycares will follow suit. This is a shitty time to not be able to drink (much). And yes I’m making light of this, I do understand that it’s a serious situation and I hope these measures address the rapid spread and slow the impact.
  • Options
    @meanjellybean I think it’s completely normal and kind of necessary to make light of it. If you don’t have a little humor then things get too intense. 
  • Options
    Public schools are closed and the daycare my kids go to is closed. It’s fine, a little annoying, but fine. BUT so help me, if my DHs work gets cancelled, after 8 days straight of being with him 24/7.....
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    @pocketrose I would support a Facebook transition. I hear you on the extrovert WFH pain. 😂
  • Options
    I know I was just joking about this whole thing, but now my throat hurts. I am seriously not a hypochondriac but all this shit is throwing me for a loop. I’m still chalking it up to allergies but if I get a fever I will probably lose my mind...
  • Options
    @meanjellybean 😂 thank goodness! I know that was a top priority task bahaha
  • Options
    The college here in town which is one of the big ones on the state has closed for the whole semester because a group of students were at a conference with someone who tested positive for it so now they’re in quarantine until they know if they have it or not and there’s apparently been a case here in town. Otherwise, there have been a few cases in other big cities here in our state. The grocery stores are getting to be slim pickings and TP is like no where to be found. Baby wipes and diapers are almost gone most places in town and DH is now working from home for however long this lasts. His nurse sent a note in since he has an autoimmune disease. He said they are telling everyone to work from home now though. I am pretty sure the school district will shut down very soon. 

• Options
    @meanjellybean hopefully you don’t get a fever or sicker! I’m like 99% sure I just had a cold this week, but there was a solid couple hours I convinced myself it was something more. 
  • Options
    I have a bridal shower to attend this weekend with a large group. Would you go? My doctor said stay away from people with flu symptoms, but didn’t say avoid gatherings. I would hope people with flu symptoms wouldn’t be attending a shower at this time. I had a few people question why I would go while pregnant, which now has me questioning (I was fully intending to go)
  • Options
    @Fullhandsfullheart I would still go. Maybe just don’t hug/touch anyone and use common sense with washing your hands, touching your face, etc. 
  • Options
    All schools in our state just closed from next Wed-April 6th. Our daycare is still open but I’m debating keeping D home in case someone that actually needs childcare wants to take our place... selfishly though working from home is obviously hard with D home and I have projects I’d like to do in her room and this would be a perfect opportunity to start! Lol... Maybe part time?? 
  • Options
    @Fullhandsfullheart I think it depends just how close I am to that person. Right now I’m personally trying not to leave the house unless necessary. This virus is infectious for 5-14 days before people show any symptoms so just avoiding people who aren’t sick isn’t enough. At the same time currently the only people who are eligible to be tested for the virus are people who have traveled internationally recently or have had contact with a person who has been diagnosed with covid. My point behind telling you is the number of people who actually have it is so so so much higher they just aren’t testing them. 
  • Options
    @meanjellybean my husband and I have been dealing with a mild cold all week. Normally I wouldn’t think twice, but instead I’m just kinda freaking out. 
  • Options
    One of our students tested positive.  They anticipate rest of semester will go online.  Still no concrete direction to staff but each is deciding who can telework.  My city and county have now been declared disaster areas.  Weird times
  • Options
    @pocketrose I support a FB group too. I’d participate way more on there! The Bump app is a Royal PIA if you ask me. 

I’m WFH until further notice. I normally do two days a week but I’m going to really be missing the social aspect. 
  • Options
    I work as a teacher in Washington state but live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Washington has been hit pretty hard and they’re shutting down schools from March 17-April 24. They haven’t clarified what the expectations are for teachers during this time away. They are requiring us to all come back Friday, March 20 for a full day but haven’t said why. Meanwhile Canada’s cases are rising and they are talking about shutting down the border. I’m an American citizen living temporarily in Canada. If they shut the border while I’m in Washington can Canada technically deny me re-entry? I’m super stressed out trying to keep up with travel restrictions in both places. I’m stressed that I’m going to be required to be at school with no students, but not being able to cross the border and that I’ll end up having to eat away at my sick days to make it all work. The uncertainty is stressful; traveling between two hot zones pregnant is stressful. I just need a little certainty soon. 
  • Options
    @amygray725 ah man that’s scary and I’d worry about getting back and forth between countries too. Wonder why you all have to come on the 20th?

I’m starting to get a little anxious and have a potentially dumb question. Should I go back to the gym or should I wait a little bit? I’ve already been out for the past week since I’ve had a cold, and the gym keeps posting that they’re limiting class size / splitting them up into 2 rooms so we have more space to spread out, as well as wiping everything down / providing wipes for us to wipe down equipment before and after workouts...but I don’t know. Part of me feels like I shouldn’t risk it but the other part feels bad for not moving my body for this long (it has been gross and rainy here, but I’m normally down to just go for walks). Ugh I don’t know. 
  • Options
    @b_1029 I’m hoping they have information about telecommunications companies offering free WiFi to Washington students while school is out. That way we can get devices to students in need and continue some sort of online learning in an equitable way....but those are high hopes. 

Also, I’d avoid the gym and look into programs you can do from home. The number of cases being reported everywhere are severely UNDER reported because there are not enough tests available to see who actually has the virus. The priority now is to limit its spread, and unfortunately that means staying home where necessary. We are finding each day new information about its spread. Many people have no symptoms but have the virus and are spreading it. While we as younger, healthier citizens can probably handle the virus if we get it, other populations cannot. And really these measures are in place to help protect them 💕
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye13 . I'm pretty frustrated over here too.  Mostly with the people around me.  I am starting home and trying to be as cautious as possible while everyone around me is acting like nothing is going on. My in laws keep going shopping because they are bored (they don't need anything...) , my friends are all meeting for lunch Monday, my husband wanted to go to a hunting show at our expo center yesterday.  

A lot of my feelings are anxiety, but if everyone would just stay home now we might be able to go back to normal life sooner.  
  • Options
    @JessDG @stlbuckeye132 I was feeling much more anxious when I was in your position than I am now. Now, MA has banned all meetings of over 25 people, cancelled all school, made restaurants takeout/delivery only, and no visits to hospitals and nursing homes. Every industry that can WFH has ordered it as well. H and I have stocked up and hunkered down. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pretty anxious, but it's come down a good deal since I've seen my community take so many actions like this, and to know we've done what we can too. So...hopefully you'll feel better when some of these things start happening near you? 😬

That said, MA is one of the most impacted states so we reeeeally need this stuff and also we have a lot to be nervous about. I don't know you guys this is all really crazy
  • Options
    Is anyone concerned about their prenatal appointments? I’d rather not be in a hospital now, considering asking my midwife if I can do a virtual appointment and figure out the other stuff... like Doppler for heart rate, my mom said I could order the test strips for the urine tests, and she’d help figure out how to measure my belly... maybe not for all of the,, but my next appointment is the week after next and I just have no desire to go there right now. 
  • Options
    @Pascal86 does your practitioner only see people at the hospital or do they have a remote office location? I wouldn’t enter through an ER door, but you would think if they have offices in the facility they would have a “well” entrance, for lack of a better term.
  • Options
    @kc0711 it’s Kaiser, and the only options are hospitals or clinics that are just for everyone. But either way, it’s still just being around other people when I’m trying to isolate. Kaiser has mentioned for prenatal they’d setup different waiting areas for anyone with symptoms - but I’d rather just not go at all. 
  • Options
    @mehugg yes, I know I'll feel better if (hopefully when) serious action is taken by my state. Just last night my county and some surrounding counties announced school closures for 3/18-4/3, so that's a start, but... I'm still expected to come to work. I think I may reach out to my OB to see if she thinks it's worth me really pushing to work from home.
  • Options
    As of Friday, I am working from home until further notice! The introvert in me loves this, but I'm afraid I might run out of things to do while self-isolating....started a book, but may need some more ideas! 
  • Options
    I have a follow up ultrasound on Wed morning. I want to see baby but I also don’t want to be out and about. Such weird times. 
  • Options
    @Pascal86 my OB is also located inside the hospital. I’m not concerned, but I’m also not in an epicenter of the cases like you are. My office sent out an email with specific instructions if you’re having symptoms of being sick. I know COVID needs to be taken seriously but I also feel like I need to maintain a level of normalcy and it’s just as important that I continue my prenatal care as I have been. Have you called to see what they suggest?
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19