June 2020 Moms

How will you dress your June newborn??

So FTM here and getting so tripped up with how to dress baby. Yes, it will be hot outside because it's summer but we will have a/c on all day and night inside. (They are window units, not central air.) How should I be dressing her especially for nighttime? We will keep temp between 67-70 probably. Are light footed long sleeve sleepers ok with a swaddle for night? Is that too hot? Should we opt for just a long sleeve onesie and swaddle for night? I also plan to have our ceiling fan going bc I heard the air circulation is good for babies. I've been buying mostly light footed sleepers for her, but now I'm worried they'll be too hot? 🤦🤷🏼‍♀️

Re: How will you dress your June newborn??

• Hi! This community operates differently than most forums. We're here to build a support group. If you'd like to join, please post in introduction in the Intro thread, read through the ***READ THIS FIRST*** thread, and get to know us. 

We tend to discourage one-off posts that are just a single person asking a question just about them, and are geared towards a common discussion point as a thread, so everyone can discuss the same topics in the same place.

This probably fits best into Randoms thread.

Every single person is going to have a different answer with different climate, house drafts and different babies. My son with a thicker swaddle was usually diaper only or diaper and short sleeve shirt, he was born in June. But my daughter didn't run as hot as could do footed pajamas under them.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi! This community operates differently than most forums. We're here to build a support group. If you'd like to join, please post in introduction in the Intro thread, read through the ***READ THIS FIRST*** thread, and get to know us. 

We tend to discourage one-off posts that are just a single person asking a question just about them, and are geared towards a common discussion point as a thread, so everyone can discuss the same topics in the same place.

This probably fits best into Randoms thread.

Every single person is going to have a different answer with different climate, house drafts and different babies. My son with a thicker swaddle was usually diaper only or diaper and short sleeve shirt, he was born in June. But my daughter didn't run as hot as could do footed pajamas under them.
    I see you've posted on several other threads about what you think is considered "a one off post" and how people are wrong for starting a new thread. Are you an admin or moderator of this specific community board? Either way, every question anyone asks is going to be a one off based on that person's experiences. I don't see the problem with people starting new threads? Isn't that the point of these communities, to help each other, give different advice/experiences? Also, I don't really see why something like this would be in a "random" thread. This is a board for June moms and I'm asking a question that is specific to that. Lumping every question everyone has into one random thread doesn't really make sense to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • Difference of opinion, but this is my third birth month board, and I've never been part of a board where people encourage everyone starting their own thread with every single question they have. We tend to group them with other similar ideas. So the board isn't full of a ton of threads which pushes everyone's questions down and makes it harder for others to find/see every question and answer. 

I can't tell you what to do, but I can make suggestions on how to get the highest number of responses for everyone. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have wondered about this too, especially considering we have window unit air conditioners  DD was born in sept. so she was older when summer came around.  I plan to be prepared with a few heavier items in case the house is coo .   
  • FWIW, I was actually planning on posting something similar to @pourmeanothermocktail 's reply once my toddler finished his nap fight. She usually gets to these threads before the rest of us, and therefore shoulders most of the welcome and introduction work for our board.  And making sure new people integrate and can join the community is that, work, whether it's recognized by an admin/moderator tag or otherwise.   

Also echoing that the sentiment of communal threads vs single-question threads was the same on my past BMB too. When the board gets cluttered, it's hard to find the conversations that I was engaged or interested in, and I lose interest in participating. Maybe that's not how it works for you, @teev12 , which is also cool.  Everyone processes & indexes information in their own way.

As for dressing June babies... We don't really have winter where I live, so all year is cotton jammies and a light sleep suit time.  While we may run our AC, we half-shutter the vents in the nursery and we're likely to be in and out of there often in the early months so we'll notice if it gets too chill.  DH and I also plan to sleep in similar weight clothes with a single lightweight blanket, so we'll be subject to the same inside temp as baby and can adjust for all three of us as needed.  I think it's easier to plan for daytime clothes because you can adjust as needed while the responsible adults are conscious and paying attention to the inside or outside climate.  My kids are destined to be glow-in-the-dark levels of pale, so they'll be covered up against the sun if we're outside. 

My DS1 was a Nov baby but we basically followed this same plan because it can be 100, 80, or 60 F on Christmas with equal likelihood. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Echoing what @pourmeanothermocktail and @kyrwyn said. The boards operate how they do for a reason, and those who have been on several, or have been here a long time, have seen that the way they are structured is for a reason. 

Also agree that everyone is going to have a different answer to this and honestly every baby is different, too. 
  • I am going to be the jerk here and say I hate how TB has changed to discouraging more topic posts.  It was not like that my first go round and my first BMB was incredibly active.  And I tend to respond to and read questions that have their own posts.  As long as they are valid topics.  I miss a ton of comments in the randoms threads. 

With that said, being a member here, I am doing my best to follow how the majority of people like it structured these days.  And no one is trying to be rude.  They are trying to be welcoming and informing others how the board is structured.  
  • @kerco925 TBH, I probably wouldn't care as much about the one off posts if the forum search functionality worked reliably for me... I wonder if this shift between your earlier BMB and this one is partly motivated by how annoying the app and mobile sites can be. 🤔
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • For the record, I am not a big fan of "one off posts," I just wish the set up was more that regular posters can start new threads to ask questions.  Although, when I asked a question about bassinets, everyone seemed ok with it. But I am cool with going by what the majority likes.  

I've also never used the app, so that could be why I feel the way I do. 
  • FWIW the bump has slowed down inactivity massively between each of my kids, who are only 2 ish years apart. may and June are also historically less busy birth months than others (like, less babies are born, probably because conceiving as school is starting up can be hard, lol!). 

But I'm active in both May and June right now, as my baby is due in June, but expected in May, and it's way busier than this board plus has less one-off threads. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • TB is nothing like it used to be.  A huge amount of people left when my DD was about a year or two.  I couldnt even keep up with how quickly it went back in 2013.  But it was incredibly informative and so much was discussed that it really helped prepare me.  I am kind of bummed to not have that experience this time around.  
  • brose1117brose1117 member
    edited February 2020
    @kerco925 same! When i was pregnant with my first, 5/2015, TB was so active I could never keep up. It was a little overwhelming but I felt like true friendships formed, friends that I still keep up with outside of TB to this day. I’m not sure what is different, and I am trying to be active so that I can help (which is difficult with two littles), but it just is different. 

As far as what I’m planning on dressing babe in... I actually dressed my May and February babies very similar at bed time. With a onesie, sleeper and swaddle. I felt like our home was a similar temperature at night during winter and summer months. We raised our temperature 1-2 degrees for the first month or so in the house so that while we were a little warm (not too noticeable except at bed time, so we just wore less/used thinner blankets), babe could be more comfortable. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kerco925 I agree, It was different with my first (4/2014) and our board does not seem like the most active. I've tried to start a few more interactive threads but it's hard to keep that going , I think it could help if we had more people starting dedicated threads which would make the board a little more interactive. But I try my best to keep with what it seems the majority of the board wants and stay as active as I can. I do hope we are able to form the same bonds we remember from our old BMBs. 

As for dressing the baby, I have an April baby which isn't too far off from a June baby and I dressed him in the footed sleepers for bed and that was fine. He ran a little hotter than most but still was good in a sleeper. 

TTC#1 - March 2013

BFP 8/9/13 - EDD 4/14/14 - DS born 4/23/14

TTC#2 November 2015

Dx: Secondary IF June 2016

Medicated IUI cycle#1- Clomid+IUI -1/15/17 -BFN

Break Mid 2017 - Resumed TTC December 2018

"She believed she could so she did..."

Medicated IUI cycle#2- Femara 5mg+IUI 12/22/18 - BFP 1/4/19 - MMC 2/1/19

Saline Sono 3/15/19 - All Clear!

Medicated IUI cycle#3- Femara 7.5mg+IUI 3/28/19-BFN

Medicated IUI cycle#4- Femara 5mg+Gonal F 50iu+IUI 4/27/19- BFP 5/11/19 - MMC 6/12/19 - D&C 6/14/19-

Incomplete M/C Repeat D&C - 7/3/19 -Testing concluded baby was genetically normal  :'(

Dx: Unexplained RPL July 2019 - Tested + as carrier for Usher Syndrome & Familial Mediterranean Fever 

Saline Sono 8/7/19 - Mostly Clear! All systems go for IVF#1 

But will need a repeat Saline Sono between ER and FET

IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 8/17/19

ER#1 8/27/19 - 12R, 6F, 4 biopsied+frozen! (3d5blasts + 1d6blast)- 2 PGS normal embabies!

Saline Sono 9/13/19 - All Clear! Onto FET Prep#1

FET#1 - 4AA -10/4/19 - BFP 10/14/19 - EDD - 6/21/20 -Beta#1-10dp5dt- 379 Beta#2-12dp5dt- 1007 Beta#3-14dp5dt- 2844

DD born 6/15/20  <3

• I had an August kiddo last time and he ran super hot when he slept...still does. He slept pretty much just in a onesie and maybe a swaddle until winter because he would be sweating so bad.  If I put him in one of the velcro swaddles like a halo sleep sack he had to be naked in it or he would wake up drenched in sweat.  We keep our house between 68-70 year round. Even in winter he would be in a light cotton sleeper...no fleece sleepers ever and still cant do fleece PJs...cotton all year long. 
  • Yea the bump has changed so much. There are a bunch of pregnant women in my original group and everyone has been saying it! It kind of bums me out. May seems to be an anomaly. I’m hoping we can still transition to a close knit group though.

Clothes wise- summer here is such a crap shoot so I’m not sure. We usually have like two to three weeks of 80+ and the rest is 70 average. We don’t have AC but every year during our heatwave I’m tempted to get a unit! I’m just going to prepare for a multitude of seasons. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • During my first pregnancy (11/2017 BMB) I was not on the Bump but on a different board with very different rules. There were a million posts a day which meant you could never really catch up with all of it, but there were a couple of really great active threads with smaller groups by due date week, and there were plenty of other interesting threads on other topics to check out — as a FTM I wanted to read and talk about every possible topic. It was annoying that you would get the same questions posted as one-off threads 10 times in the same day, because that didn’t help conversation on those topics... but it was nice that people could get into their specific questions and the topics that interested them. The people from my week thread remained friends after we had our babies and created a FB group at that point and still stay in touch. 

When I joined this board, I liked the additional structure and the lack of one-offs with no responses, which made me switch to this site. I did think there would still be threads on lots of topics, that anyone could start those, and then we could stay on those to continue discussing everyone’s experiences on that topic. In practice, that hasn’t really happened. (I still appreciate that we don’t have 100 threads on the same topic or overly specific threads about one person’s situation, which I think some of our more active board members have really helped with, and tried to bring people over to other threads to discuss.) Unfortunately, this board moves really slowly and conversation stays pretty impersonal (it doesn’t seem like people talk about their home lives and how they are feeling as much). Like some of you, I’m feeling bummed that we may not form as much of a bond. 

Re “how to dress a summer baby,”  I have been wondering about this myself! We always put K in onesies, sleepers, and sleep sack, regardless of time of year. In winter, we usually make sure either the sleeper or the sleep sack is fleece. I am pretty sure this is overkill since we keep our house at 72 for bedtime but she seems cozy and sleeps well so we go with it. 

What about for daytime around the house in summer with a newborn? What are y’all thinking there? 
  • Our Nov 18 board is small - I think there’s maybe 30 or so of us on FB which is small for a couple years ago, but we talk every day. I’m hopeful the same will happen here even though this board is slow and smaller, too! I will say, I don’t mind one off post with questions similar to this, but I didn’t recall OP’s name posting anywhere else. If an active member wanted to start a thread for something, I have no issues with that, mine was more so when people come in here and treat this like their personal google. 

Also my last baby was a winter baby and there’s too many cute rompers and tanks and onesies, this baby will get them all and wear them outside and then we’ll do sleepers and swaddles at night! 
  • I think this group will get closer as babies get closer / arrive. Those motn posts and knowing we're not alone etc. I definitely find myself sharing my feelings more so with my Nov 18 moms because the bond is already there and our group is still extremely active. It's hard to start over but I am trying to keep as active as I can here! 
  • @chaos-and-coffee yea- In a different way mine started out with a large 90 person facebook group -which I think was too big and now 3 years later we have around 40 left and it’s still active. I really don’t think we got super personal until we moved to a private group to be honest.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We’re in Canada, but it’s generally 30-40°C during the day here for July and August. During the day our AC often has trouble keeping up, so I imagine baby will often be in just a diaper or a onesie when we’re at home. I’m getting a few long sleeves/footed outfits for trips to the doctors office and other places where they typically have the AC cranked during the summer. But otherwise, lots of rompers, light dresses, and short sleeve onesies. And I’ll bring a blanket when we’re out as about to throw over her if it’s a bit chilly.

I saved this on my phone from one of my Facebook due date groups. If you plan on using sleep sacks this is a good night time chart. 

• Also, I do enjoy one off posts as long as they aren’t super repetitive. That’s the only thing that annoys me about the Facebook groups - I don’t need to see the same thing posted multiple times per day. I don’t see a problem when it’s something like this that isn’t super specific and only targeting one or two people on the board. I find that sometimes posts in the random thread can get easily lost if multiple other people post about unrelated/more important things immediately after.

I’m a FTM but long time name nerd and used to spend a lot of time in the names area of TB a few years ago (like 5+ yrs ago). That places was busy! And now not so much. It makes sense though, forums in general aren’t as active now that there’s so many other types of social media. And especially when the mobile app for TB works like trash most of the time haha
  • @bbluemoo can you translate what TOG refers to? I'm assuming the weight of the fabric? 
    Me 29 DH 33
    Married 10/2016
    TTC since 04/2019
    BFP 10/12/2019, estimated 6 weeks
    EDD 06/07/2020
  • This board has been slow and that's probably part of why I have a hard time remaining active (plus add into the fact full time teacher/mom of 2/director of musical/planning my parents' 50th wedding anniversary - a lot is going on :P) It is very different than my first which was before TB implosion.  Even my second, which was after, was still fairly active.  That being said, it doesn't really bother me when new threads pop up because it's like oh! something new to read! And what can I say - those tend to be the juiciest posts.

I do find it funny though for someone who has started 5 discussions and had a total of 9 replies to feel like they know how things are around here?  I mean, maybe participate more in general vs. just trying to have people answer your particular thoughts and questions?  That's really an important part of the initial response as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @horsesmeetbaby it’s basically a measure of insulation/thermal effectiveness. Most of the bigger brands that make sleep sacks use the TOG rating system. It’s usually dependant on the weight/type of fabric used so obviously muslin would be a much lower TOG than microfleece. 
  • kimber308kimber308 member
    edited March 2020
    I love when people create posts for questions. Otherwise I never see it. Who wants to read through hundreds of pages under one monthly randoms post to find something I'm looking for? Not me.

My second child was a mid-May baby. We started with long-sleeves, pants, and socks during the day. By mid-June it was hot though, and baby was wearing less. We used the muslin blankets a lot for shielding legs from the sun on walks and whatever. 

For sleep, I remember swaddling in a light cotton swaddle with a onesie underneath on the hot days. We don't control the temp in our house, so sometimes it can get up to 75ish. 
  • I've had 2 winter babies, so this is my first summer baby.  We don't have A/C and our house ranges from ~60 at night to 84 on the hottest days at the hottest time of day.  I'm planning light sleepers or onesies + sleepsack depending on night temps, maybe one fleece sleeper for colder nights.
  • I’m not against one of posts either necessarily. I also semi follow the wte forum this round and its alllll one of posts, it’s honestly impossible to keep up. It’s more amusing than it is a place i feel i can confide and find friends in. 

@bbluemoo I’ve been so disappointed with the baby names section 😂 i keep checking hoping more ppl post or new threads are opened and they are sort of at a stand still. 👎🏻👎🏻
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is my first summer baby but I’m planning on swaddling (if he likes it. DD loved it but I guess it’s not for every baby) with a onesie. I also got lots of lightweight sleep sacks/sleep gowns from market place since DD was a sweaty lil thing when she sleeps so I’m guessing he will be too! We also keep our house a little cooler, as we have a big fluffy dog (newfie mix) that can’t take the heat! As for during the day I’m just planning on light weight one piece outfits or onesies and shorts/pants. I haven’t bought any new clothes for him but he’s already got a couple drawers full of fb market finds and some hand me downs that I think will last him a good 6 months!
  • Echoing a few other's sentiments. I like the one-off threads because I get busy with work, life, whatever and I only check in here every few days. There have been times I have wanted to contribute to a question but it's posted in the monthly randoms thread and the last person to post about that topic was 4 days before. I feel like I can't respond because it will mess up the flow of those discussions.  I would be way more active on this board if there were more single topic threads. 

As for how to dress our summer babies, I have no idea! My son was born in September which is the hottest part of the year in my neck of the woods. We usually just had him in a diaper and maybe a muslin swaddle. I feel like there will be more things that cause us to be out during the summer than in the fall (4th of July, BBQs, etc) and I worry about having this one get sunburned if we don't keep him covered up but I also don't want the baby to overheat. I guess I'll just have to figure it out in the process.
  • If it’s cool in the house all the time, just follow the general rule of thumb- 1 more layer than you’re comfortable in. When we go outside, he’ll be in a tee-shirt and diaper only, and a super lightweight muslin blanket for sun protection. Just don’t put the blanket over the stroller, it holds heat in there like crazy. Stick to the shade.