Infertility
Options

2nd Egg Retrieval or FET?

Hello!I have an odd question. First IVF (in vitro fertilization) cycle here. I did my egg retrieval Feb 15. Triggered with Lupron because I was at a high risk of OHSS. They turned my cycle to a freeze all. Took 55 eggs out, 36 mature, 34 fertilized. Have 6 frozen embryos at the moment.I have an appt with my RE (reproductive endocrinologist) on March 4 to go over everything and hopefully plan our FET for early April.I've been doing some thinking (which gets dangerous sometimes!).Since I only have 6 frozen embryos, no pgs testing... would you start off with your transfers? Or would you do a 2nd round of IVF (in vitro fertilization) to maximize chances? I'm 27, so I'm still young and could still do a 2nd round if I did get pregnant with one of these embabies. But me and DH (dear husband) would like 3-4 kids (I know this may change) and I'm not sure I like those odds with only 6 embryos.Let me know what you all think.Thanks

Re: 2nd Egg Retrieval or FET?

• Options
    Well, based on your age and the fact that you were able to retrieve 55 eggs (and 36 mature!), I would just go ahead with transfer as you are young and with your high ovarian reserve, you probably won’t run into any difficulty with IVF in the future. And at your age, those six embryos will likely be all normal, so chances of you getting 3-4 kids are good. 

Another reason for being a bit hesitant about repeating IVF now is that I’m not sure it’s a good idea to repeat your protocol. Getting six embies is great, but a sharp drop off from 34 frozen embryo to 6 blast worries me. You might want to ask your RE why so many did not make it. Is it a problem with the embryo or the way your clinic cultures them? If it’s the problem with the embryo, then transferring them would be one way to find out. If you had a couple of unsuccessful transfers, then you may opt for another round of IVF with a different protocol. 

And you may change your idea about having 3-4 kids once you have your first child. 
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • Options
    That was extremely helpful! Thank you!! Yeah, I'm not sure how 34 fertilized and we only ended up with 6 frozen embryos. I'll definitely ask my RE what happened. Thank you for your help!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I second what @cashewchicken said - given your age, the chances that your embryos are good are high!
    Also, even if you have a child (or two), and then decide that you don't have enough remaining embryos, you will still be young enough to repeat IVF with pretty high success chances then.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My story in signature spoiler. Children mentioned.
    Me: 37 DH: 45
    I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
    Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
    Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
    March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
    Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 (10dpt) - 253, Beta#2 (12dpt) - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
    Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
    Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
    April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  <3
    Sept 2020 FET#3: one XX embryo, BFP, Beta#1 (9dpt) - 161, Beta#2 (11dpt) - 519, Beta#3 (19dpt) - 7174, Due date 05/30/2021
    DD born 05/23/2021 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 - My family is now complete <3
  • Options
    Thanks so much. I really hope so, fingers crossed! I don’t mind doing it again though, it isn’t ideal. But none of this is. :(