July 2020 Moms

Baby Shower Timing and Guests

Hi all... there has been a lot of discrepancy with my family regarding every aspect of a baby shower.  I personally prefer to do it around 30 to 31 weeks so we aren’t trying to do everything right before the baby is born, and can also still have time to get any items we need and didn’t get at the shower to prepare for the little one.  Some others are insisting we do it much closer to my due date.   I was wondering what the timing is going to be for all of your showers.  Also, about how many guests are you inviting?  That has also been a disagreement amongst our group, so I’m curious what the norm is.  Thanks in advance for your input!  

Re: Baby Shower Timing and Guests

• I think that really depends on who is throwing you the shower and what is convenient for them.    Can they afford to host many guests? Or is a smaller event more in the budget?   I think you’ve really got to leave it up to the host/hostess.   

• Oh I agree with every point you have made.  Trying not to air too much dirty laundry, but the problem is predominantly 1 family member (my step mother).  She refuses to do a baby shower (mother passed away many years ago so step mother is the only “mother” figure) so my father seems to be trying to take the reigns.  He really doesn’t know what he is doing and only has my step mother in his ear about the planning.  Long story short, the step mother has never liked me and will do and say things to try and make trouble and purposely mess things up, so I’m just trying to get some feedback on typical size and timing of these events from a variety of impartial people to share with my inexperienced father who is stuck in the middle between his wife and most of the family.  
  • Loading the player...
  • There’s a sticky on changing your user name if you’ll be here often :) 

• You'll probably get more responses from the group if you take a look at the pinned threads (board organization, if your name begins with knottie, intro, etc), become familiar with those, and post this question within an already established thread (reading through those threads will help you understand where this actually belongs).