Infertility

Introduction (Warning - children & loss mentioned)

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kristen.  I am 27 years old and live in the beautiful Northeast Kingdom of Vermont with my husband and our two children, Noah (18) and Aubrey (7).  We are licensed foster parents and have been fortunate to have the opportunity to grow our family through adoption in the past (our youngest was adopted when she was 4 years old; our oldest unfortunately cannot be legally adopted as he was previously adopted by another family, but he has lived with us since he was 12 years old and is every bit as much our son). 

We have had a very difficult year.  Fertility treatments wreak havoc on me emotionally and we had taken some time off when we were placed with twin newborns (we stayed at the hospital with them from birth for a week before they were discharged to our home).  They were a part of our family, in our home and our hearts, for 11.5 months.  We experienced a change in our district judges and they were sent home to their birth family to an unchanged situation a week prior to their first birthday (we had thrown a birthday party for them the previous weekend just in case).  My heart was decimated.  The month after the loss of our twins, we experienced a positive pregnancy test before a loss several days later (right around the holidays).  I have had several other early losses in the past.  We decided to resume treatments right away.

We have been actively trying to conceive for the past 5 years, including 4 years of fertility treatments (medicated cycles, trigger shots only, then Gonal-F and trigger shots, then three rounds of IUI...).  I have been diagnosed with PCOS.  My husband, on the other hand, has been told before almost every procedure that he has "super sperm" and has passed every test with flying colors.  (It is hard not to feel guilty and personally responsible for our struggle.)  We are finally ready to try our first round of IVF, hopefully this coming cycle.  We are anxiously awaiting the return call from the RE this morning to schedule appointments for next steps - another injection training specific to IVF (we are familiar with injections from IUI) as well as another sonohysterogram. 

I have a really hard time with the "hurry up and wait" necessity of treatments, despite normally being an incredibly patient person.  I was excited to find this group and am hopeful it will help me find some peace as we go through this process.