May 2020 Moms
Options

February Appointments

Re: February Appointments

• Options
    So my doctor reviewed my labs from my recent appointment and said my white cell count is elevated and it could be sign of infection of some sort.  Ugh.  I don't want to be getting sick.  I felt rough last week overall, but I assumed it was all just due to pregnancy and actually feel better today than I did most of last week.  
  • Options
    @pirateduck My white blood cells are elevated with every pregnancy.  My understanding is that it's a normal reaction to the stress your body is under. I'm not sure what the range is, you can probably look that up, but I wouldn't be too worried if you're feeling fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ruby696 the doctor said it could just be because of pregnancy and wasn't overly alarmed.  I did feel pretty crappy last week overall and did skip a day of work, but nothing that made me think I was sick and not just defeated by pregnancy.  I had high white cell counts at another appointment too now that I think about it.  
  • Options
    +1 for having higher white blood cell counts in pregnancy
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    I especially get higher wbc counts whenever I'm fighting off even a cold during pregnancy, and I have a preschooler, lol, so I'm always fighting something. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mamaj1220 - when I was pregnant with DD and asked my midwife about an alternative to the glucose test drink she told that though there are some things that can have a similar affect, nothing is as effective as the nasty drink and she wouldn't feel comfortable with anything else to ensure the best results. I don't like it, but can tolerate it as long as it isn't the orange one. I had the "fruit punch" last time and this time the office I'm at only stocks the clear kind. Lucky you that you were able to make a switch!
  • Options
    My office definitely didn't offer a choice, they only stock a clear lemon/lime that they said people seem to tolerate the best so that's what they go with.
  • Options
    My office usually gives you the orange one, but you can ask for a different one. With DD I didn't know that so I had the orange one for my 1 and 3 hour. This time I asked for the clear one, without dyes (lemon lime I think) when I did the 1 hour at 9 weeks. I tolerated it so much better, although it is a different pregnancy so I don't know if that was the reason or not. I am asking for the clear one again next week.

I did do research on alternatives and there are other options out there, different juices, some food options, also doing the finger pricks and tracking meals for a week. I asked about it early on, when I was seeing midwives, and it seems like my office really doesn't do the alternatives. I'm sure if I pushed and advocated more I could have, but I figured I would try the other "flavor" first.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    Yeah the midwife is laid back for the most part and she told me that since I puked up orange last time and they don't offer any other flavors at the office or lab anymore, she felt like I should do grape juice. I was like oh okay I can do that! 

@ruby696 what about adding a probiotic or something with iron supplement? 
  • Options
    @mamaj1220 I'm going to have to add something. I'm also thinking about asking my doctor for a stool softener, but I had a male colleague in my office when I got the call. So that will be a conversation for another time. On the plus side, I'm hoping the iron supplements help with my fatigue.
  • Options
    @ruby696 that would make for an awkward after call exchange if you had asked right then  :D though sometimes I do find it fun to mess with male coworkers about things like that though pooping not as fun.
  • Options
    @ruby696 are you taking any extra fiber at all?  (as in a supplement, not just though the foods you eat)  You can start with something like Metamucil and see if that does the trick.
  • Options
    @pirateduck I take Metamucil, but not as regularly as I should. I should also probably up the dose.
  • Options
    @ruby696 I have only taken it on occasion as needed, I've been pretty fortunate that I don't need it daily, but I think you can take it a few times a day, it's just fiber.
  • Options
    @ruby696 I’ve been on two colace per day since like the first visit. Totally helps with the iron supplement and I prefer that it’s a pill not something I have to drink.
  • Options
    @jkr2019 I picked up some colace when I got my iron pills. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to take two a day with no problems. Question - does the iron make you nauseous? I've been taking everything in the morning and I think maybe it's too much for me. Prenatal, prescription folate, baby aspirin, DHA, iron, vitamin C, and colace. I was feeling fine until I added the iron, vitamin C and colace.
  • Options
    I feel like I remember my doctor recommending taking iron in the pm because of nausea. 
  • Options
    Thanks @TattoosandLace. I know it's not the vitamin C.... I'll try taking it tomorrow night before bed. 
  • Options
    @ruby696 hope it helps!
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll I'm glad little man is doing good in there! I only gained 9 lbs during my pregnancy with DS and he was 7lbs 12oz at birth. Sometimes you just don't gain much. 
  • Options
    @splashmountain Yeah, I only gained 11 with DS1 and he was nearly 9 lbs at birth.  So this is all fairly "normal" for me and my body, but I was pretty thrown off by not passing the 1 hour glucose screening this time!  So glad I passed the 3 hour, because I can't imagine being told I'm not gaining enough, AND I have GD!  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    @shamrocandroll sounds like your babes are just super efficient at stealing ALL of your energy. Surprising how that doesn’t end when they are on the outside either 😆
  • Options
    Hmm...  I just noticed that they changed the name of the doctor on my appointment this week to someone I haven't heard of or met.  I wonder if they hired someone new to replace my midwife that recently left...
  • Options
    @allie456 I had bloodwork done last Wednesday which showed my iron levels were down from the last time I had blood drawn and I was slightly anemic. Prior to the test, I didn't have to take them.
  • Options
    @allie456 my OB did blood work including iron and a CBC at the same time as my 1 hour glucose test.
  • Options
    @pirateduck oh ok, that makes sense. I'm scheduled for my GTT in 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    oooo.... I should ask to have my thyroid checked again.  I hadn't thought of that recently, I have enough other stuff on my mind.  

@m6agua I have been taking vitamin D my whole pregnancy.  The doctor is always telling me I don't have to because it tested in normal range, but it only ever tests in normal range when I'm taking the supplement, all the other tests I've had done while not taking vitamin D were low, which is why I started taking it like 2 years ago.  Anways, hopefully all your tests come back normal!
  • Options
    @m6agua this is good info.  I hadn't thought of it in relation to BF at all.  While TTC and working with an RE trying to figure out why we couldn't seem to have kids, my blood was tested for a million things a million times.  I find it a little odd that now that I'm pregnant they don't seem concerned with re-checking any of that stuff periodically.  I know my vitamin D was low multiple times before being pregnant (so continuing a low dose of supplements, I also had the 10,000 IU prescription ones at one point), and I know I have thyroid issues (not currently medicated).  I'm going to ask about this at my appointment this week.  I like to think they can be persuaded to draw a vial of blood to at least recheck my thyroid.  It also makes me wonder if my insomnia is related to that at all.  Hmm...
  • Options
    That is great news @ruby696
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    TTC#2 April 2019 

• Options
    edited February 2020
    @ruby696 Yaaaaaay!  That's great news!  You must feel so relieved!

ETA fixed typo
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3