July 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces

The Product Spotlight Series continues! Remember, the community is welcome to comment on threads like these throughout your time here, not just when it's their week in the spotlight. Big thanks to everyone who participates!

For this week, we've got Sleep Surfaces! Of all kinds! Feel free to discuss cribs, crib mattresses, travel cribs, bassinets, swings, etc.

One big note: Previous BMBs have provided guidelines on safe sleeping methods &/or cautioned members that co-sleeping & co-sleeping safety may be freely discussed here & not to judge others for their choices. I'm putting in both statements, even if they might perhaps slightly contradict each other. Please be sure to focus on products, though do feel free to discuss these matters in addition, especially when related to the product/s at hand.
Two little notesThis sleeper (and all other RNP) has been recalled. The Bump has a page of "Top Ten Baby Crib Mattresses."

For S+TMs:

• Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc):
  • Favorite [sleep surface/s]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Likes/Dislikes: 
  • Is there a sleep surface/s you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a sleep surface/s you've tried that you DON'T recommend? Why?:
  • Additional thoughts on [sleep surface/s]?:

For FTMs:
  • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc):
  • Sleep surface/s you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight Series: cribs/travel cribs/sleeping surfaces

• Options
    This is timely I'm ordering our crib this week.  It'll be something available on Amazon as we have multiple gift cards there. My wife likes the DaVinci Kalani.  The color seems to be her hang up and that's it not too fancy.
  • Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): house
    • Favorite sleep surface/s: RIP RnP lol... it was my favorite for the NB days and I'm a little worried about how things will be without it. 
    My only rec is to get one of those dual crib mattresses. I'm sure it doesn't REALLY matter and they'd sleep just fine on an infant only crib mattress... but the one we have is firmer on one side for infant sleep and a little softer (though, I can't really feel a difference) for 2yo and up. 

For NB sleep (prob the first 2 months or so) we're deciding between this cheapy travel bassinet and this Halo bassinet.
    The cheapy one is really similar to our RnP... but no incline and, maybe not as snug around the body as the RnP was? Not sure there.... We have a rice bed (high off the ground), so I love that the Halo can be raised to the height of our bed... meaning I don't have to get out of bed every time he wakes during the MOTN.... but I'm not sure if it's worth the, probably, $400 we'd spend on it between the bassinet itself and the infant insert, travel stand, sheets, mattress protector (so we could make sure no accidents happen that makes it so we can't get as much for resale), etc. I'm just so on the fence.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): single level house 
    • Favorite [sleep surface/s]: infant- halo bassinet crib- newton crib mattress 
    • Link/picture: GTS!
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): eh both are on the pricy side I would say
    • Likes/Dislikes: woo here we go! Y’all the newton crib mattress is AMAZING!! The cover is machine washable and the mattress itself you just hose down. I cannot say enough good things about this mattress. I recommend it to everyone. As for the halo, it has its flaws but all in all is super convenient. The lever arm on it is not super helpful to me, but how close baby is makes up for it. @blaf322 we never used it with the infant insert, just flat on her back in there from day 1 and never had any issues. 
    • Is there a sleep surface/s you don't have but are considering? Why?: I’m thinking about upgrading our pnp to the really nice Halo pnp the dream nest. We’ll see if I get a good BBB coupon.
    • Is there a sleep surface/s you've tried that you DON'T recommend? Why?: Nope.
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surface/s]?: we do have a little portable sleep thing, the baby delight snuggle nest. It is nice when over at friends houses to just plop baby in on a table or couch to nap, but usually there was always someone who wanted to hold her so it was underutilized. Perhaps baby #2 will get more use out of it. Although I will use it for naps, I do not feel comfortable using it for unsupervised night sleep. 
  • Options
    @kc0711 my friend had her baby about a month ago and is having lots of sleep issues without the insert... that's what's making me nervous. 
    Also, I've heard of some complaining that the baby moved b/c of the slight tilt of the Halo... like, looked over and their NB was rolled over either on their side or maybe face down (I can't remember what I read now). Did you experience that at all? 
  • Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): house, not much travel
    • Favorite [sleep surface/s]: ditto @blaf322 so sad about the RNP because it was the only thing that worked. Got a secondhand halo bassinest around 11 weeks which I plan to  use this time, then she went in her crib around 5 months. We also got a crib mattress that had an infant side and a toddler side, some expensive organic brand (Naturepedic?) lol but it has served us well. We used a pack and play whenever we went anywhere, which was not frequently. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): new halo can be $$, crib mattress was $$, crib wasn't anything crazy, just a pretty basic white one from BBB
    • Likes/Dislikes: I'm honestly just hoping this baby will sleep flat on its back swaddled in the halo bassinest from day one, because I don't know what to do otherwise. Maybe this should go in FFFC, but I did not return our RNP and if the choice is between being dangerously sleep deprived and using the RNP, I know which way I will go. If that gets me flamed, so be it.
    • Additional thoughts on [sleep surface/s]?: It's just so dependent on your baby, which kind of sucks because you won't know what works until you figure it out once they get here! Definitely get some waterproof mattress pads for the crib. I think we got whatever was recommended on Lucie's List.

• Options
    @meanjellybean same re: not returning the RnP. I was going to return it b/c people are still getting, like, $100 for them... but my friend with a NB (mentioned above) told me not to and that she super regrets returning theirs. I'll be doing the same as you, if given the option.
  • Options
    @meanjellybean also, is your mattress absorbent? We got waterproof mattress protectors, but the only time we used them was when she had a bad stomach bug and we layered sheet, mattress cover, sheet mattress cover, sheet (I know, questionably safe but we felt okay b/c everything was tight on there) so that if she puked during the MOTN, we could quickly pull the puked on stuff and get her changed without having to turn on lights and make it a whole thing.... otherwise, her mattress could prob be hosed down and dried if we really needed to so we didn't have a need for them.
  • Options
    @blaf322 she rolled on her side as an infant, but she was 5 weeks early so she was pretty much stuck on her side in the fetal position because she was not ready to be on the outside world! But never enough that it was dangerous. We blanket swaddled and put her in there from the beginning. A few times I found her against the mesh, but realized she could breathe just fine and I stopped worrying about that. 
  • Options
    @blaf322 that's a great question  :D I have no idea... I don't think it's absorbent, but I could be wrong. The ones we got were more like a mattress pad, like if I just put the sheet on the mattress I feel like it might feel weird. I know, my answers are so helpful lol. I'll have to take a look next time I change her sheets which I clearly don't do often enough... I think I just added a bunch of shit off Lucie's List to my amazon registry without actually taking the time to see if it was all really necessary lol
  • Options
    @kc0711 Insta influencers are always talking about those Newton mattresses, good to know a real person who likes theirs lol. Apparently they are also recyclable when you're done with them haha. I just don't think I could spend that much on it though (especially for our second). 

@blaf322 @meanjellybean We never had an RnP but I'd be right there with you holding onto mine if I did. 

DD has just a basic crib mattress (though ours does have the two sides like @blaf322 mentioned). We have pack n plays coming out the wazoo, apparently an item people are happy to get rid of (I think we have 3), which was convenient, we left one at camp, one at my mom's and then had one if we ever needed it, we set it up downstairs when DD was a newborn. 
  • Options
     We live in a single family home and travel a little.  Mostly to my parents and they have a crib and such there.

For DS, we used a bassinet in our room for the first 6 weeks or so.  It wasn't a halo or anything, just a regular old school bassinet that MIL insisted we used and it did what it needed to for the short time and was perfectly safe.  We started him in the crib at 6 weeks when he wasn't waking up AS much.  I didn't want him in our room for super long or in our bed, so I'm hoping this kid will let us follow the same procedure.  (probably not, because kids haha)  I was also pumping and bottle feeding and not nursing at night, so we were able to take turns, which made it easier for him to be out of our room.  

We got a relatively inexpensive crib from Target that transforms into a toddler bed and with rails, a double bed.  We got all the parts and are sticking with that in his room as he grows.  We'll probably get the exact same one for new kid and do the same thing.  Here it is:  https://www.target.com/p/delta-children-174-emerson-4-in-1-convertible-crib/-/A-51610780?preselect=52767485#lnk=sametab

I would definitely recommend a pack n play with the bassinet attachment/diaper changing attachment.  We kept ours in our living room and used the hell out of the thing.  This is a newer version of what we have https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Portable-Napper-Changer-Playard/dp/B079PC1SYB/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=pack+n+play&qid=1580751256&sr=8-12  It was so so nice for diaper changes and naps during the day.  Also pretty easy to fold up and take on the road if you need to.  

And yes to two sided mattresses!  The toddler side is a little softer.  

• Options
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): house. 
    • Sleep surface/s you're interested in: I've been looking through alot of options for a bassinet for the first while during roomsharing. this is the current top contender I've found for a bassinet. I thought of just doing a pnp, but where it will be in our room, I don't want to take away most of the entire walkway with a wider sleeping area.  We are getting a graco 4-in-1 convertible crib(again nothing super spendy, but will be usable for awhile) for the nursery. and I chose a random mattress off amazon that had a TON of good reviews haha. But i will definitely be looking into the two for one mattresses, my sister just got a foam one for 2nd babe. 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): we don't want anything too spendy(especially because we're knowing it wont be used for too long), both my sisters have gotten halo bassinets, generally for cheap secondhand (thne just bought the extras, they preferred the infant insert, etc) so maybe if I come across one secondhand I may go that route. but will not buy one brand new.
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: thoughts on the bassinet I have linked? I feel like thats been one of my hardest decisions.
  • Options
    @nursejenn5
    I had seen that same bassinet that I had considered as well.  I am not sure if we will get something different this time around, but it seems like a good option.  

I also looked on my local Facebook marketplace and there were a bunch of halo bassinets in what seemed to be great condition for like 80 - 100 bucks
  • Options
    We have a small duplex currently and have used a variety of sleep surfaces. We’ve always started out with just a basic basinette for the first few weeks. Then DD1 and a full sized crib and DD2 is still in a mini crib. 

The mini crib saves so much space! It’s on wheels, so we first had it in our room and then moved it to their shared room. DD2 is 17 months and still easily fits in it
  • Options
    Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): House Favorite [sleep surface/s]: I am sad about the RnP too! My in-laws just got us a bassinet I’ve been eyeing though and I’m really excited about it! It’s a bedside one and can be adjusted to your bed height. It will make nursing at night so much easier... I hope. It can be inclined on one side but I’m still a bit skeptical about that part since the RnP stuff. We also have a convertible crib that I’ve loved with both girls. I’ve used the toddler bed and it’s been a full sized bed. It’s held up really well but unfortunately I don’t remember what brand we bought. 
    Link/picture: 
    Is there a sleep surface/s you've tried that you DON'T recommend? Why?: I personally didn’t like using our pack n play. It came with an infant sleeper but just wasn’t a fan. They never liked sleeping in it either and I didn’t like how much space it took up in our room. 

• Options
    b_1029b_1029 member
    edited February 2020
    • Lifestyle (house, apartment, travel often, etc): house- we like to travel, but I wouldn’t say we travel all the time or anything (sadly). It would mostly be to my parents’ house but we do want to take a bigger trip before baby can really walk/can be contained 😂
    • Sleep surface/s you're interested in: a crib and some sort of bassinet / PNP to keep in our room for the first however many months they’re supposed to sleep by you
    • Link/picture: NA
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): don’t want to spend a ton
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: convertible cribs- if you’re planning on having more than one kid (fingers crossed), are they worth it? Or should we invest in a nicer non convertible crib to use for all the babies and get toddlers/kids a different bed? Also what happens if we get something like a PNP and the baby just despises it lol
  • Options
    @b_1029
    We got a 4 in 1 crib the first time since it wasn't much different in price from the regular ones.  We waited awhile on the other pieces (toddler rail and bed rails) and figured we would play it by ear.  I don't think DS will be completely out of the crib/toddler bed by the time baby arrives, so we just decided to get another 4 in 1 and got the other pieces for DS.  We will prob get the same crib so we can re-use the toddler rail.

I didn't buy anything expensive like a halo or Mamaroo purely because if baby hated it, I was going to be really mad.  Haha.  In a perfect world, having someone who owns something like that for you to try would be awesome.  
  • Options
    FTM thinking of going the PNP route for bassinet purposes. Question - will the baby sleep on just the mattress set nice and high for ease of access, or the inserts that sometimes come with it?
  • Options
    @b_1029 I’m team convertible crib. We bought sets each time and my hope is to not deal with kids furniture again for many, many, years... if ever again. 

Re: PNP, if your kid sleeps in a crib, they’ll sleep in the PNP just fine, more than likely. Bedtime away is always a crapshoot, but it’s way better if you have a routine. We never had issues with it. 

@mehugg the part that sits higher has a weight limit and then you’ll have to put the baby on the mat or mattress (if you get one) that sits in the bottom of the PNP. My issue with that is that I’m short so reaching all the way down with a baby you’re trying to transfer without waking is nearly impossible for me. So, if it’s a very short term thing, you’ll definitely be fine. If it’s a longer term thing, just consider that.
  • Options
    We live in a 2 story house and are likely going to rearrange things and move our bedroom to the 2nd floor so we'll need sleep surfaces on both levels. We used the halo bassinest for #1 and #2 but after two babies it seems to have developed a tilt. I am not sure how it happened but basically with our 2nd he seemed to always roll to one side because of the slight tilt. So this time around I am thinking I'll buy the bassinet stand for the uppababy bassinet (which we already own from the vista stroller) and she'll sleep in there next to our bed for the first 2-3 months. My 2nd slept better in there anyway. Not sure what we'll do when she outgrows it...maybe just set up the pack n play, or maybe move her to her nursery. For downstairs I may keep a regular bassinet for naps during the newborn sleep constantly phase while we are helping her figure out day vs night - I finding napping in the light/noise during the day helps them figure it out, then when they reach 2-3 months I move naps into the crib in the nursery. I am actually relieved the rock n play was recalled. We had a really scary incident with second when he was napping in there and I vowed never to use it again after that, so having the recall will help me resist temptation this time around.