April 2020 Moms
Options

Weekly Questions 1/27

Who has questions this week?

Re: Weekly Questions 1/27

• Options
    When are we think of moving to FB/private group? I know my last BMB dud it around a month prior.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 I don't know because I've never had a BMB before but I'm down for whatever everyone else wants!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For STM+ - what kind of pads did you buy for postpartum? What are the best or most absorbent/less chance of leaks kind to stock up on?
  • Options
    i'd join a fb group, for what it's worth. I belong to a couple already but it's mostly drama and who needs that?
  • Options
    Ok, I added a poll to discuss this more before we decide.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @literatureandink They gave me a bunch at the hospital. By the time those ran out, I was at the point where it was basically just a period. I got standard overnight maxi pads and then less absorbent as time went on. It does continue for quite a while, though, so I’d get some that have good smell and are comfortable. Kotex was recommended to me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    @literatureandink I got a bunch from the hospital. After those ran, standard overnight pads should work.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @literatureandink I liked the infinity brand. I'm not sure who makes it, but they were slimmer than the rest and still absorbed a ton. 
  • Options
    @literatureandink it varies from person to person, but expect to use bulkier pads anywhere from 1.5-6 weeks. I typically took home whatever was in my room at the hospital, and then used a half pack of overnight extra absorbent pads before switching to regular ones. I had spotting off and on through 6 weeks, so I would recommend having liners as an on hand option too!
  • Options
    sbalding88sbalding88 member
    edited January 2020
    @literatureandink Thanks for asking that question; I had been wondering about that too! I have some super maxi pads from July that hopefully I can use once the hospital ones run out. My periods have always been awful, and I gotta say that as rough as pregnancy has been some days, I am glad to not be having my period right now. :P 

Question for you all: I'm trying to save money on what I can by buying things used or secondhand? But what would you absolutely not buy used or secondhand so that I can focus my money on those things? 
  • Options
    @sbalding88

I am a big advocate of consignment sales/buying second hand. we have a huge baby/kid sale twice a year where I love and I buy all my kids clothes and have bought a lot of baby gear there. They wear and use the stuff for such a little time that everything is usually in such great shape too. 

What I would not buy used:
    bottle nipples (the actual bottle and pieces are fine and can be sterlized)
    pacifiers
    shoes (doesn’t matter prior to walking)
    baby monitor 
    car seat (you can never be 100% certain that it has never been in a car accident or damaged in some other way and they also expire)
    Crib/bassinet or crib mattress due to changing safety standards unless you can verify date of manufacturing 

You can really save money buying used on a high chair, bouncers/swings/activity centers, baby baths, diaper genie, wrap/carrier, stroller

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• Options
    I agree with @coaster102516. Absolutely don't buy a carseat second hand unless it's like your sister and you know for sure. 
    And like she said,  the crib laws changed in 2011. So if you know the date then go for it. I think they made drop-side illegal and made the spaces between the slats smaller. 
    I don't buy mattresses secondhand, but that's because other people's bodily fluids creep me out. 

Pacifiers and some bottle brands tend to come in the registry gift bags from Target and Buy BuyBaby. I know my local BBBs don't check to see who you are, so I get more than one gift bag 🤫. 
  • Options
    @babybison and @coaster102516 My husband found a new crib mattress today on clearance at Wal-Mart so we ended up buying that for her crib that we haven't bought yet so we're good there! (Checked on-line and it's rated 4.6 out of 5 stars so I feel good about it.) I had been contemplating buying a crib secondhand, but I think I'm gonna look and see what I can find at our local IKEA or maybe we'll find something else that has been marked down at Target or Wal-Mart. I gotta find those deals! I felt weird about the car seat being secondhand, and then my husband found one of those travel systems marked down so we decided to go with that, but I saw so many on Facebook marketplace and wanted to know if I was just being weird about not wanting secondhand of  certain things like mattresses and car seats.But I'm gonna keep hitting up those thrift stores and secondhand shops to see what gems I can find, like my recent find of unopened packs of size 1 diapers for half off. 
  • Options
    How are STMs handling having their other kids being watched while in the hospital? We know my parents are going to watch DS. Others, are you having a bag set for your child or just gonna have instructions on what's necessary to have/do with the child?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 I’m not sure about kiddos but I’m also curious about what people do about their pets while they’re at the hospital.
  • Options
    I’m curious what laundry detergent STM+ use on baby clothes? I am a sucker for nice smelling detergent but would love to find a scented one that’s good for baby’s soft skin.
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 My parents are probably going to watch him, but there’s a good chance that they will also have both my brother’s kids that week, so we’re asking MIL to be available too in case they need another adult. I hadn’t planned to pack anything other than clothes for him. My parents keep him one afternoon during the week and already have most of the things he needs. I’m more worried about figuring out who is watching my dogs. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @literatureandink my parents will handle our cats while I'm in the hospital if needed. Cats are easier, so DH could get away, too depending on whether or not I've given birth yet.
    As far as laundry detergent, we used Tide Free & Clear. Still use it to this day. I think it's reccomended to use something like that without a bunch of extras in it since baby's skin can be extra sensitive.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @literatureandink I also used Tide Free and Clear, but we are back to standard Tide now. I probably need to switch back soon. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @literatureandink we found that anything with a scent irritated both of our daughters’s skin (Dreft was the WORST). Use a free and clear brand, or make your own - it’s super simple and cheap, and you can add in essential oil for scent. If you go with the free and clear option, get some wool dryer balls and put a few drops of a nice scented oil on them - it works better and smells better than dryer sheets! And no, I promise I’m not one of the crazy oil people 😂😂 but I’ve found it to be the best option for my kids and DH who all have sensitive skin
  • Options
    Molly's Suds is a great safe laundry detergent without irritating ingredients. No artificial fragrances. 
  • Options
    @literatureandink We have a close friend that our furbabies love. We'll be giving her a spare key and she's agreed to be on call to come stay with them for whenever I go into labour. 
  • Options
    I'm in charge of my SIL's cat when they go in, but she won't need as much love and attention as a dog would. I would plan for 3-4 days in the hospital just in case? It's hard because, if you're not scheduled, then it really could be whenever!

@literatureandink I've heard awful things from detergent studies about Dreft, even though it's touted as being made for babies. We use All free and clear. DS and DH both have eczema, and no one gets a reaction from it.
  • Options
    @Kathryn0903 my sister is probably coming up from st Louis the night b4 our c section and she'll take kenzie to daycare/ stay with her mom and tues. Probably come meet baby on tues then DH will go home Weds and I should be home Thursday.
    My parents aren't healthy enough, and DHs mom would do it, but wants to do it at her house and take DD out of daycare for the days. We want to maintain her routine as much as possible before introducing a new baby.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    We are having IL's watch the kids since they have a bedroom set up for them and a playroom in their basement.  BIL&SIL live in the same town and will feed the cats.  We use the All Free and Clear.
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 You just reminded me that I need to have a serious conversation with my mom about keeping DS in daycare. That’s what started our last fight with my mom she didn’t want to take him to daycare. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • Options
    @literatureandink Ditto on the Free and Clear detergent; we've been using All Free and Clear for years because my skin is so particular about what will break it out and I don't do well with detergent with fragrances. (It helps that I can also regularly can find coupons for it!) And since it's good for baby clothes too, we'll continue to use it when our sweet girl is born which will make things simpler for sure. I do wonder what people use for getting those stubborn stains out before you wash the baby clothes as I'm sure I'll encounter that soon enough. :) 

• Options
    @Kathryn0903 my mom is on call for the kids. I will have an update care sheet for her as well to reference, she knows their schedules but I give her ideas for meal time, remind her about DS’s meds, bedtime routine and also list important household items like alarm and garage code, mailbox #, etc. I also like to put little things like dosage if they need Tylenol or Advil, where we keep extra diapers/wipes. Stuff she doesn’t normally know. Since she will come to our house, they won’t need bags. They will also be kept on their regular schedule as well which means going to school if baby is born during the week. 

@literatureandink pets will be here with the kids and my mom will take care of them if I go into labor before I would be induced. If I make it to induction, we will at least board the dog to make things easier. We use the free & clear Amazon brand of detergent.  

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• Options
    @sbalding88 I’ve always used enzyme based spot treatments for stains when they’re really small but you can get a bunch of different less-harsh stain treatments now at most stores. Or go back to the basics and use baking soda and a damp toothbrush on stains! 
  • Options
    My neighbor is retired and is my dog’s best friend.  Usually when we go out of town for a night or 2 she keeps him. She has a key so will bring him home to eat and if she’s leaving her house for lunch shopping or whatever - she’ll leave him at our house. She just grabs his bed if he is going to sleep at her house. 
  • Options
    @sbalding88 Dr. Bronner's is amazing for poop stains!
  • Options
    I'm a big fan of oxy clean to soak spit up clothes in, especially for the hand me downs that you think are clean when you put them away but then come out of storage full of yellow stains.