May 2020 Moms

FFFC 1/24

πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯ Let it out! πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Re: FFFC 1/24

• catem07catem07 member
    edited January 2020
    People who complain about jury duty really grind my gears. It's an important public service, not to mention it's really interesting to do!

ETA: Yes I know there are a lot of financial considerations and some states and employers are much less generous than others.
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• I don't like network television.Β  We lived without TV/internet for 2 years.Β  Now we have had internet service only for about 2 years.Β  I don't know if we'll ever have a television service again.
  • Loading the player...
  • @catem07 How about the people who won’t register to vote to avoid jury duty!? That’s the most ridiculous excuse. Voting is our right as Americans and I’ll do whatever I have to to be able to use my rights!
  • Oh, yeah, add to the annoyance the people who don't vote and then complain about the state of things
  • @catem07 Thank you! I would love to be on a jury. Many trials are super entertaining/interesting. And a word of caution to those who try to dodge, as a lawyer, sometimes I opt to keep jurors who are obviously trying to get out of it because 1) they clearly need help being a better person and 2) I don't trust the people who are desperate to be picked. πŸ˜†

And, at least in CA, jurors can ask for a hardship exception if financially they can't do it. Some do, but most just don't want to be there.
  • @ruby696 Three years ago (while 30ish weeks pregnant with DD1...) I was on a jury for a civil medical malpractice trial. It lasted something like 15 days and was so interesting! I am lucky that my employer paid me through it but some people on my jury were not getting paid. The judge knew it would be long and asked people about that sort of stuff, so I'm not sure if those people said it wasn't that big of a hassle or if the judge didn't think it was a strong enough reason. They did two days of selection for this jury, it was hard to get people.Β 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• @catem07 Many people think that inconvenience to their employer is a good reason, but it's not. Judges definitely take into consideration how long a trial is likely to be and what the hardship is. I've let people go because they were about to get married, travel, had a spouse having a medical procedure, etc. So judges and lawyers aren't totally unreasonable when you have a real reason you can't be there.Β 
  • I've never been called for jury duty and I am 31. I was subpoena'd as a witness in a child custody case once. I was probably 19 or 20 when I witnessed the mom give the baby (under 1 year) several sips of her wine cooler while we were all camping together. The custody case was maybe 5+ years later. There ended up being a bad snow storm that day and it was canceled. They must have resolved everything because I never ended up having to go in.
    TTC#1 July 2015Β 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 β€” MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 β€” Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019Β 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 β€” EDD 5/15/20

• My FFFC is I think I have an online shopping addiction so the Financing Baby thread is a good reminder that I need to slow down and save more for baby.Β  But when I get bored at work (I have an office job) I start reading emails, see a good deal (did you see Carters clearance sale today?), spend $50 here and $50 there and then go home to 5 packages from the last few days of shopping. I'm not doing this to the point we are in debt or avoiding bills or anything where it's actually a serious addiction, but I do know that with daycare costs going up in IL thanks to the minimum wage increase plus adding another child to daycare I need to cut back sooner rather than later.Β  I just love the thrill of getting new things delivered to my doorstop.Β Β 
  • @banapanda next time instead of pulling the trigger and making the purchase, just click to add it to your registry!Β  I know it's not as satisfying at all, but it's better than nothing.
  • @pirateduck I have been doing that with some of the baby things just because I know it's silly to buy something now for baby that we don't need yet when I can wait a couple months and use the completion discount.Β  It's all the "other stuff" that's getting me lately.Β  Like the going home outfits and other cute personalized things on Etsy, clothes for DD1 for all the holidays, stocking up on clearance clothes for the baby for next winter, etc.Β 
  • @bananapanda the "going home" outfits on Etsy could bankrupt me.Β  I know they are just an outfit like any other, but if you put that in the search bar on Etsy EVERYTHING that pops up is absolutely adorable.
  • @pirateduck yes, they are so addicting lol I already bought a cute personalized onesie with a matching bow etc but keep seeing more things I love.Β  I'm struggling to remind myself that she only needs ONE coming home outfit haha
  • @bananapanda the custom stuff is getting to me too, especially with this being my first girl. it's almost like a free pass to buy things (that I shouldn't be). Thankfully I got a diaper bag, a carrier, and a few newborn gowns over the last few months that should hold me over for a while. That and trying to finish the baby blanket i'm making.Β 
  • Copper pearl and spearmint baby are my big downfalls. The latter has the CUTEST gowns but ohh they are salty.
  • @randic22 oh boy thanks a lot now I have to go look up copper pearl lol I've been browsing spearmint baby already but haven't bought anything from there yet
  • Oh, and add milkmaid goods matching delivery robes and swaddle hat/bow sets to the list of must haves that isn't actually a necessity.
  • I normally allow myself 1 small cup of coffee, but me and DH are going out to dinner tonight so i'm having another one right now so I can stay awake, and I have no shame.
  • I didn't sleep well last night and I am too tired to deal with stupidity and bureaucracy. I'm leaving work early so I don't bite someone's head off on a Friday afternoon.
  • We met today about caseloads and to talk about moving people around (basically I needed to move more established people to make room for new ones) and my supervisor just realised that I get 16-18 weeks off. My FFFC I am not feeling one bit of guilt about taking it, I want the time to bond with my baby and summer with DS1.
  • @randic22 @bananapanda ohhh I’ve done too much browsing on spearmint... such cute clothes but so $$$. I have so many things on my wish list there I should never buy. πŸ˜‚