April 2020 Moms

Weekly Questions 1/19

Re: Weekly Questions 1/19

• I’m looking at buying a Spectra Pump (my insurance let’s me buy whatever and then they reimburse). Problem is there seems to be more than 1 site for them to purchase from and I’m not sure what is legit.  Anyone know from prior experience? (I’m in the US)
  • Is anyone else super emotional/moody? Everything is a BIG DEAL right now. Wallpaper for the nursery out of stock? Huge deal. Dress I wanted to get for my shower not in my size? Gigantic deal. Tears. Crying. Pouty mood. You name it.
  • Loading the player...
  • @literatureandink Welcome to 3rd tri. On Saturday I was all sappy telling DH what a great dad he is. Then he got sick yesterday, which makes him very grouchy. My response has been becoming a crying grumpy mess. The emotions are triggered super easily right now. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @literatureandink I told DH that I’m officially completely insane, but he doesn’t seem to remember that conversation because he keeps poking the hormonal pregnant bear today.

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mandarenee898 I got mine off aeroflow. You should be able to order one without putting in your info. I don't know if it's more expensive there though. Target also has spectra I think 
  • @mandarenee898 a few friends have used aeroflow and said it was very easy. That's who I'm going to use, based on their recommendations.
  • @mandarenee898 I’m also going through Aeroflow. They contacted my midwife for the prescription and did all the work with my insurance to make it super easy! 
  • @literatureandink omg yes! I had two crying meltdowns yesterday. I just feel like my emotions are out of control the past few days.
  • @mandarenee898 I got both my spectras through edgepark. Super easy and had them in like a week (I could order months ahead of time). 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Not a question per se - but I'm low-key starting to freak out about childcare. It's just so dang expensive. I feel like it might be easier for one of us to quit, but I have the better job between my husband and me. We've started talking about him quitting one of his part-time jobs and having him focus on his online teaching job while our daughter is young. While he seems totally on board with all that, I don't think he quite realizes all that being a work from home dad would entail so we'll see. So that's what we're trying to work through right now. Any advice would be appreciated. 

@mandarenee898 Ordered my Spectra S2 Plus through Aeroflow. It was very easy and last I heard from them, they said it will be shipped 3/29 as my insurance company Optima won't let them send it until a month before my due date. 

@literatureandink Ever since the second trimester hit, I've been extra moody, but I think it's hitting a new level these days. Things I've cried over? Washing a business card that was in my pocket, lobster mac and cheese that was just SO good, my pillow not being fluffy enough, and basically the entire time I've been watching Anne with an E on Netflix. I'm sure there's more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. 

• Has anyone had their baby flip? I think baby boy went from head down to breech yesterday. DD's dayhome provider is a former midwife from Iran, so I asked her to check this morning at drop off and she said she definitely thinks he's breech (she was feeling head near my ribs). I have an OB appointment next week. I know it really doesn't matter since I'll have a CS regardless, but I  would have preferred him to stay head down.
  • @doraleigh35 I know last pregnany, I was having weekly BPPs starting at 32 weeks. DS went from breech to transverse to head down eventually.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @doraleigh35 my baby is breech right now, my daughter was as well until 35-36 weeks before she flipped. My OB said not to worry until 34-36 weeks but if he’s still breech at my 32 week scan, I’m going to do what I did to help my daughter flip, acupuncture with moxibustion. 

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• @doraleigh35 I was told at my last appt baby was already head down, I think I was 26 weeks then! 
  • @Kathryn0903 good to know. @coaster102516 I hadn't even thought of acupuncture I may try that, I have a 32w ultrasound as well. I know he can flip again, but I have a bicornuate uterus and breech presentation is very common because they run out of room and are unable to flip. I am just bummed, because he has been head down for so long.
  • If I'm not planning on breastfeeding, would you reccomend getting nursing pads for until I dry up? Any reccomendations on brand?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • To piggy back on @Kathryn0903's question, I plan on BFing but I'm also planning on it not working and switching to formula (with DD1 and 2 BF didn't work, even though LC told me everything looked fine, so I EPed and I don't think I can mentally handle that again) so I'm not really sure how the drying up process works without it being a drawn out weaning situation.  Do you just suffer through the engorgement and it goes away after a couple of days?   
  • @Kathryn0903 you may not need them, but you could get a small pack of Lansinoh disposable ones to be safe.
    *TW* I had to dry up my milk after having DS, I found a tight sports bra and an ice pack were all I needed. It only took a few days *End TW*
  • @KFrob I chose to formula feed from the beginning last time. Tight sports bra and cabbage leaves helped. Also, don't stand facing a hot shower until they dry up. It sucks for a few days, but definitely gets better.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kathryn0903 as I wasn't going to be nursing after we lost DD, the nurses told me to put peppermint essential oil on my nipples to help dry up.   My doctor then told me that a lot of her Hmong clients swear by cold cabbage leaves for drying up. 
  • @Kathryn0903 if you didn’t try No More Milk tea last time, I highly suggest it! Most grocery stores have it. As for nursing pads, I’d suggest the Avent ones - they’re a bit softer than the other disposable ones, so they don’t tend to stimulate production the same way others can if they’re too abrasive!
  • @doraleigh35 at my 28 week growth u/s and today at my fetal echo baby girl was breech. My ob isn't worried about it and said she still has plenty of time to flip and if at my 32 week growth u/s she's still breech, she'll have my try doing certain stretches/exercises/positions to encourage her to flip.
  • @skc040512 I'll look into that!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the suggestions on drying up!
  • I've heard cabbage leaves are good for engorgement too, regardless of if you're BF or weaning or formula feeding.
  • anyone else having issues with the Bump app?  It won't work on my phone and I've re-downloaded it plus logged out and logged back in.  The Bump isn't working on my ipad when using Google Chrome either.  Only the laptop!  
  • @sbalding88 - we are in the same boat with the childcare situation. It made more financial sense for my husband to stay home (and the fact that I prefer to work and he prefers not to). We had talked about it for weeks before deciding, and I still have concerns that he doesn't realize how much work that will be for him. He kept saying things like "Oh, when I'm home with the baby I can..." fill in the blank with things like "bake bread twice a week", "grocery shop for one or two days at a time," "keep things clean around the house", "take the dog on more walks". 

My response to all of these is... Well, let's wait and see. It's hard to imagine how much energy and work it will be day to day, so let's not make too many plans now. 

I also got him talking to some of my sisters who are or have been stay at home moms to their kids, really talk to him straight about how they felt and what their schedules were like. That has been really helpful for him. 

We also talk about ways that we're going to make sure that he still has time for adult interactions each week - seeing his friends/family, enjoying hobbies that don't involve baby, etc. 
  • @KFrob I never had much supply to begin with, but when I gave up on BFing, I used cabbage leaves. They helped a lot. It didn’t take long to dry up for me, though. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mandarenee898 Yes. The app isn’t working right. It’s frustrating enough that I just didn’t want to deal with it when I was really sick. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @mercury94 glad it isn't just me.  Hope you are feeling better soon!
  • Do we want a product spotlight today? The schedule says baby containers. Not sure what that's supposed to be - like pack n plays or food storage containers?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just want to thank everyone that commented about the Spectra S1 pump for me. For the life of me I don't remember what discussion it was on!   My insurance is pretty awesome where it doesn't require a prescription and says "buy it where ever you want and submit the receipt for reimbursement" so I could just buy it off Amazon/Target after all!!!!
  • Anyone else get told it's too soon to preregister at the hospital? Just called the hospital and was told I had to wait till 30 days before my due date. I was preregistered by 32 weeks last time!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 my doc had me pre-register weeks ago and when I went online, I was already registered since my c section was already booked.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @mandarenee898 Yes! I am on my computer right now because the app isn't working well. It was taking forever for the conversations to load or they weren't loading at all. 
  • @Kathryn0903 My hospital had me go in at 29 weeks to preregister and sign up for classes. We filled out all the paperwork for the hospital and even the birth certificate. Hopefully we still like the name we chose when he comes out! It probably depends on the hospital though. I am giving birth at a small community hospital. 
  • @babyrummom We got all that paperwork too. Our birth certificate paperwork is 3 pages long!
  • @babyrummom @mercury94 @mandarenee898 the app is crap for me right now. It’s annoying because I haven’t had time to get on my laptop or my work computer. It better sort itself out.
  • @babyrummom @babybison Seems odd that they want the birth certificate information already. What if you were Team Green or just didn’t have a name picked? My hospital called my room about 20 minutes after DS was born to get the information for the birth certificate. I don’t think we were technically required to have it filled out until we were discharged, but I’m sure that gets the paperwork moving faster. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017