Baby Names

Galadriel or Elanor

I finally asked DH for some name ideas and these were his suggestions. They're both from Lord of the Rings, his favorite books. Our first two are named after Little Women characters which is my favorite book. DS is Theodore Robert nn Teddy and DD is Anastasia Josephine nn Annie. 

Elanor could have the nn Ellie and then it would be similar to what we did with DD.
I love the sound of Galadriel but can't think of a way to shorten it.

I'm willing to put both of these on the short list but I'm not sure I can actually commit to either. Also, suggestions on middle names? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Galadriel or Elanor

• Elanor

MN suggestions:
    Amelia
    Elizabeth
    Isabella
    Charlotte 
    Rosalie
    Victoria
    Genevieve
    Marion 
  • What?... Are these real names that I’ve never heard of or are these names that were created for the books?
  • Loading the player...
  • @doodleoodle I believe they are both made up for the book, although Elanor mimics Eleanor.

@austenreader85 the only nickname I can think of for Galadriel is Gal. I’d lean toward Eleanor personally. Galadriel is a lot of name for anyone who is not a medieval Tolkien witch.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Anastasia and Theodore are classic and vintage. Galadriel seems way out of place. Eleanor could work but I prefer the common spelling. 
  • I understand your DH wanting to choose a name from his favorite books since you did that with the first two, but Anastasia and Theodore are actual names... Eleanor spelled correctly would be fine, but Galadriel and Elanor are not actual names. I mean, how would your husband feel if his dad were a big Star Trek fan and named him Spock? You’ve got to draw the line somewhere.
  • If you are absolutely choosing between those two, Elanor by a mile. So many people will instantly associate Galadriel with LotR because that's literally the only place that name is found. I feel for any child named that. Elanor will be less so. Can you spell it the regular way - Eleanor?
  • Eleanor and spelled that way, sorry. 
  • What PPs said. Galadriel is pretty but it’s very obviously Tolkien and elven. Doesn’t really go with your other children’s names. I get that they’re from literature as well but it’s not the only association with those names. If you guys really love it, I know there have to be other Galadriels out there so go for it. Nicknames could be gal or Elle/Ellie. The spelling of elanor looks odd to me but I think it’s a better choice than Galadriel. Also what about Rosie? (Elanor’s mom). Can be standalone or a nickname for Rosalie or rosemary if you want a fuller name. But I think Rosie is cute and would go well with Annie and teddy. 
  • What?... Are these real names that I’ve never heard of or are these names that were created for the books?
    They're from the Lord of the Rings books. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I understand your DH wanting to choose a name from his favorite books since you did that with the first two, but Anastasia and Theodore are actual names... Eleanor spelled correctly would be fine, but Galadriel and Elanor are not actual names. I mean, how would your husband feel if his dad were a big Star Trek fan and named him Spock? You’ve got to draw the line somewhere.
    It's funny you should mention that since our boy name choice is William Thomas and he sometimes jokes he wants to add Riker to it. Lol, I'm with you on this but I thought I'd entertain the notion because he feels strongly about it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Out of the two I'd definitely go with Elanor.