June 2020 Moms

January Teacher Check In

Hi Everyone! I figured since most of us have been back for 2 weeks we should check in!

How have the first few weeks back been? 

Does everyone at school know yet? And if not do you plan to tell them? 

Now that most of us are showing what have your students reactions been? 

Have your found out about your leave yet? When do you think you'll go out? And when do you have to go back? 

GTKY: What is your favorite thing to do during school breaks? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: January Teacher Check In

• How have the first few weeks back been? Pretty good! As some of you may remember I had an incident with a student in December and the ultimate decision was that he would move to a different class period with an additional adult. The difference has been night and day, he also apologized the Thursday before break and really seemed to understand why what he did was wrong. 
    I've also gotten a new second period class and that's been going really well too. Trying to keep myself super organized and on top of grading this semester. 

Does everyone at school know yet? And if not do you plan to tell them? I never truly announced to the whole staff. But it's pretty obvious at this point and word is getting out. Since we had a class switch I did get to tell my new second period so that was fun. I dont think I'll ever make an announcement to the staff. 

Now that most of us are showing what have your students reactions been? Well one of my students switched classes and her mom is the 8th grade teacher. She told me M was super sad that she doesnt get to see my bump everyday now. I told M she can come see me anytime. The rest of the kids just love that we now know it's a boy. And yesterday I had a student tell me that he didnt do it that another kid did and then bent down and told the baby the same thing. ( I teach 7th grade science) It made me laugh. 

There have also been some interesting reactions to baby's name. That also is making me laugh! 

Have your found out about your leave yet? When do you think you'll go out? And when do you have to go back? 

I heard from HR this week. I'm in California. I qualify for 6 weeks disability and 6 weeks baby bonding. Apparently I have to write a letter to the school board telling them I'm taking the 6 weeks baby bonding. I also plan on meeting with HR and Payroll to come up with a plan. I dont want to burn my sick leave even though it sounds like they will make me. Dh has a pretty unpredictable schedule and I need to be able to take time off if one of the boys is sick. 

I'm due June 4th. The last day of school is the 5th. I'm going to probably go out 3 weeks before my due date like I did with my son. 

I'm hoping to go back in October, I would like to wait until November but I dont think we can swing it. 

Spend time with my son and go do fun things like the train museum, or the zoo! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • How have the first few weeks back been? 
    Pretty good. Busy as usual. We have some testing coming up so that is fun. Not.

My principal knows and so do the staff members I am close to. I am not a person who likes announcing so everyone else I will let figure it out on their own. It is pretty obvious at this point anyway. 

Now that most of us are showing what have your students reactions been? 
    My students are middle schoolers so they have no idea how to be subtle and totally called me out on it the other day. They are super excited though. They have decided they will no longer stress me out. One wrote on my board that I am super nice and having a baby so treat me right.  :)

I am majorly struggling with this. My salary is not very great (which I am sure all you can relate to). I am barely bringing anything home now paying for childcare for 2 kids so it will be worse with three. I love my job but I don’t know if it is worth it to return. Anyone else struggling with this? 

My due date is 6/25. Last day for now is the 19th. I am going to try to make it to the end but my other came early so we will see. 

Hang out with my boys and husband. Also sleep in when the children let me. We have a three day weekend this weekend. Yay! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @ErikandAfton I am glad things are going better with your classes! I am trying to stay on top of things as well. I am Special Ed so lots of paperwork! 
  • I haven’t had time to fill this out for me yet but @bluehydrangea17 I’m so struggling with plans for next year! We already had to fill out our letters of intent and I put undecided because I am. This will be #2 but I teach in a private school. No way will salary cover cost of childcare here even at a very affordable place. Plus pumping a teaching with a newborn was sooo hard. Basically I’m working up the courage to admit to myself and my school that I’m done!

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
    EDD: 5/16/18
    DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
    EDD: 6/12/20
  • @alli392 I teach public, but it is pretty much the lowest paying district in my state. I am with you on the pumping too. It is practically impossible! I am working up the courage too. It is definitely a rough decision, especially after all of the time and effort I have put into my career. 
  • How have the first few weeks back been? They’ve been fine. We’re doing a persuasive Shark Tank unit for one of my classes so they like that. DD and I have the other kind of influenza now so that part has been pretty miserable. We did have a snow day though so I didn’t have to take a day!

Yes, thank goodness. I was so tired of sneaking around! I told staff at our last in service before break and students the first day back from break. 

Now that most of us are showing what have your students reactions been? They’ve been pretty chill. Catholic school kids are used to people having babies 😂 I think they were so surprised they honestly didn’t process it that day and since I’m not full terms til the last day of school it really won’t effect them too much. 

Have your found out about your leave yet? When do you think you'll go out? And when do you have to go back? I’ll teach through the end of the year (the Friday before Memorial Day) and then I’m not sure I’ll be back. I love teaching and will miss it so hard but financially there’s no point in my doing it when I know how much it also stresses me. I want to be present with my baby and DD, not constantly worried about pumping. It’s looking like I’ll be looking into online teaching during nontraditional hours so DH can be with the girls and I can still bring in some money. 

House Projects and take DD to the children’s museum or zoo. 

Married: 12/19/15         

BFP: 9/4/17             
    EDD: 5/16/18
    DD born 5/10/18
    Postpartum Complications

BFP: 10/1/19
    EDD: 6/12/20