Baby Names
Options

Do you know any boys named Bear?

mamainmainemamainmaine member
edited January 2020 in Baby Names
It seems like the name Bear is rising in popularity for boys. Does anyone know any boys named Bear (as their first given name, not a nickname)? I read that it is of German and French origin. It is growing on me! 

Re: Do you know any boys named Bear?

• Options
    I think Alicia Silverstone named her son that. 
    But I don't know any in person. 
  • Options
    I honestly would find it very odd, but if its "up and coming " obviously it's going to date your kiddo quite quickly.  

No, I do not k ow of anyone e named Bear and I work in a very large school district. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I do. It's an acquaintance's child, and I think he's probably 1 or 2ish now? So he was named that recently. I have to admit I sideeye it quite a bit. 
  • Options
    In my ten years of teaching I have never met a Bear. I do, however, know a 30+ year old named Bjorn which I believe is Swedish for bear. 
  • Options
    I know a couple of dogs names Bear but no children. I DO know of someone who named their boy Jacob. They didn't want the typical nn Jake for him, so they started calling him Cub and then Cubby. Sometimes they called him Bear-cub…...then that turned to Bear at times. 
  • Options
    I've only recently met a couple of dogs with that name too. I also second that as a teacher I have not yet met a student with that name and lastly, as a German, I can speak for it not being a thing in Germany. Bear is Bär and it is the animal, that's it. 
  • Options
    My friends son is Behr
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    There is a Bear in my son’s Cub Scout pack. He is not currently at the Bear level. 😄

I think Bernard, which means brave as a bear, with the NN Bear is a better option. Then he would have a more formal name to fall back on as an adult if he chooses. 
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I do!  A friend of mine named her son Bear. He's about 18 months now. I also thought it was kind of weird at first but it's grown on me. I think it suits their family - they're free spirited.