April 2020 Moms

Weekly Randoms 1/13

What's happening this week?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Weekly Randoms 1/13

• In major nesting mode and it's so hard waiting till next month for my Amazon registry discount. Been cleaning out our spare room for DS to move into next month, so baby girl can have the nursery.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I’m getting into major nursery finishing mode too! Crib is in and built, walls are painted, dresser is ordered...we need to order the wallpaper for the accent wall, change the closet door, and wait to see what we get at the shower to figure out what else we need to finish it. Writing that all makes me feel like I’m running out of time!
  • Loading the player...
  • @Kathryn0903 @literatureandink You ladies are way ahead of me. I’m thinking baby girl won’t have her room until a few months after she’s born at this rate. That, or we just won’t paint it, because that’s the big job I’m waiting for DH to finish. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • @mercury94 I don't know why I'm being SO ANAL about her nursery being absolutely finished before she arrives because she's going to sleep in a bassinet next to my bed for at least the first few months. I just NEED to have it done for me to feel ready....
  • @literatureandink I was like that with DS. Everything was done except his name over the bed well in advance. He ended up sleeping in our room for almost a year, because our bedroom is downstairs and the kids’ rooms are upstairs. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
  • @literatureandink I was that way with DS's baby monitor. I stressed every day about how it wasn't installed. And the day I did install it and finally felt ready for him to show up also happened to be the day I went into labor. It's like my body knew I needed to get that done.

@Kathryn0903 I also couldn't wait for my registry discounts, so I moved up my due date on all of them. They don't really care when you're having a baby 🤷
  • I’m starting to get the nursery bug... We’ll have to clean out the spare room closet and DH will have to bring the crib up from the basement and put it together. I’ll wash just the going home outfits once I get them and need to start/finish little girl’s blanket.  We aren’t painting as we want to keep the colors as is - two walls are mint green and two walls are a light lavender. 
  • Ugh of course a job I would love becomes available right now. Bad timing when I'm only a few months away from giving birth.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mandarenee898 those colors sound perfect for purple twins!! 😍 Do you have a theme in mind?
  • @mandarenee898 great colors. Those were my wedding colors!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just got out of my prenatal yoga class and it kicked my butt this week. Normally it's smooth sailing, but today I was struggling. Not sure if it's from being further along or if it's just a one off but holy moly I think I really earned the chocolate milk I bought after!

• @korthouse chocolate milk sounds amazing!

@literatureandink Thanks! I don’t really have a theme in mind, I’m more of a “get what I like and it will work out” type of person 😂 That being said, I am gravitating toward pastels and animals (puppies and bunnies). We’ll be getting new curtains as the ones in there are pink, I was thinking a light grey. We’re also keeping the spare bed in there for now for me to sleep in during my leave.  That will need to be moved out once they start rolling over and we need the 2nd crib. 

@Kathryn0903  that sucks about the job just now coming available!! Are you thinking of going for it anyways?  Those sound like great wedding colors! (I may be a little biased...). My wedding colors were the deep blue and forest green so they were more bold but they looked good against the fall leaves. 

• Also in nesting mode here! Waiting for furniture to arrive this week and next. Going to start cleaning out the office this weekend and transitioning the space. I’m also patiently waiting for completion discounts/our open house in February to buy what we need to finish up the space.
  • @mandarenee898 I'm still considering it. DH thinks I should just go for it and be upfront about being pregnant if I get an interview.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Kathryn0903 I say go for it if you want to! They are looking for the best candidate. Plus your pregnancy is something they shouldn’t take into consideration legally. 
  • @Kathryn0903 go for it!!

To all the nesters I'm there too!  We have Monday off but the kids still have daycare and I did a happy dance at the thought of having the house to ourselves to crush projects! I decided to burn a PTO day and take Tuesday off and I'm trying to get DH to take it off too.  DH's nesting turned into finishing our semi-finished basement (think 1970s wood panel but no floor or ceiling) for the older two kids.  There's a built in shelf in there that I plan on painting on Monday.  LO will share a room with DD2 so there's no painting to do in there but we never ended up hanging up any wall art between when we painted it/moved her in and when we got pregnant again so we need to rearrange furniture, organize the dresser and closet for the kids to share, and finally hang up some stuff.    
  • @Kathryn0903 go for it!! Maybe they aren't looking for an immediate start and maybe you are their perfect candidate!! 
    I do hate that pregnancy/baby puts such a career hold on women. I almost started job hunting just to test the waters right before this pregnancy, then didn't want to rock the boat before having a baby. After our loss etc last time, I wanted to stay at a company I knew would be understanding etc.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @mandarenee898 it's really one of my best friends   :D
  • Anybody else fighting a losing battle with baby clothes. Those ads keep popping up on facebook and luring me in! PatPat got me today.  :#
  • @littleredm That was me until my shower where almost every gift was clothes instead of things we need from our registry. This baby is definitely hooked up in the clothes department! Now my struggle is books. I want to get them all the classic collections plus my nieces' and nephews' favourite board books, plus children's books that just look cute (warning: they all look cute)
  • @korthouse oh man my shower isn't until Feb 29th so I've got awhile to wait. My fear is that will happen though and our registry will be ignored too. :( My mom's boss has told me his gift to me is to take me to Barnes and Noble for a baby book shopping spree so I know I'll be covered in the book department. 
  • @Kathryn0903 go for it! You never know, it may work out.

@korthouse we have so many books for DD and it's the best. We put a bookshelf in the basement and a kid friendly bookshelf in her room. I rotate the books out based on season/theme etc. and we read at least 3 books every night before bed (since she was born). Last time I was at Costco they had a whole bunch of Nancy Tillman books reasonably priced, she is by far my favorite children's author.

We are in a deep freeze over here and I am so done. I think it's like day 3 of -30C degree weather and we have one more to go! I literally don't want to do anything.
  • I woke up this morning, and I swear my belly grew overnight. I'm going to take a picture tomorrow or the next day, but I felt extra huge today. I also now have my nice silicone bands since my wedding ring fits a little too snug these days, and I don't want it to get stuck. I got like 7 of them for $11 and they're so nice and comfortable. I may wear them even after I'm no longer pregnant for working out and cleaning and such. I'm ready for this week to be over so I can enjoy my 3 day weekend from work; I'm exhausted already. 

@korthouse I'm definitely afraid that I'm going to get all clothes and nothing I need from the registry, and that people will choose what they like clothes-wise instead of what I like. But we'll see - I'm glad I finally have a date nailed down for the baby shower so that's exciting. It seems a tiny bit early for me - do y'all think that 29 weeks is too early to have a baby shower? My sister was 33 weeks when she had hers. 

• @littleredm That's an AWESOME gift!!! That would be a dream for me!

@doraleigh35 Nancy Tillman is great. I used to teach theatre summer camps themed around Dr. Seuss, Robert Munsch and Winnie the Pooh so I definitely want lots of those on hand, plus I love Sandra Boynton for board books.

@sbalding88 Mine was super early at 23 weeks because my best friend was in town for the holidays and she threw it for me. It worked in my favour because now I know what I need to get and I have time to shop around for it. As much as the clothes isn't of what we need right away was tricky, we're now set and the fact that no one knows the sex of the baby meant people got creative with either really lovely neutral earthy tones or playful rainbow colours. Part of the shower was also onesie decorating and my friend got the onesies in a range of sizes so bean will have a very unique assortment. Some people also gave gift cards which I've been able to put towards registry items.
  • @littleredm patpat has gotten me too! So has spearmintlove and maisonette- although maisonette has been a little easier to go easy because everything is SO DAMN PRICEY!! But really really really precious!

@Kathryn0903 I say you should throw your hat in the ring! Why not? Worst case is you end up staying where you are right now which would happen even if you didn’t try. 

@korthouse people really didn’t shop off your registry?? That drives me bananas! I know some people like to get creative along with a registry item and you’ll always have outliers who think they know your taste better than you do but was it really most people?!
  • babybisonbabybison member
    edited January 2020
    @korthouse Dr. Seuss books have a coupon from the site in the spoiler. 5 books for $6, and I think you can pick the ones you want. 
    ETA: you just have to remember to cancel 😆
  • @literatureandink It was definitely most people, but that said my shower was so soon after Christmas that I think a lot of people just went the easier route for their own sanity. My mama is getting us the stroller and carseat we want, my sister got as an awesome Nuna carrier, and DH's fam are getting us a crib so at least the really big ticket items are covered. Our close pal who went off the registry is a new mama and she got us a couple really practical things we never would have thought of so that was awesome (bath thermometer and a baby electric nail trimmer that files instead of cutting so it's safer). Otherwise almost everyone got clothes, with a few exceptions.
  • @korthouse Also look up Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. It's a program that mails age appropriate books each month to your child. You have to check to see if it's available in your area though. Unfortunately it isn't available in mine :(
  • I second the imagination library. Not available in my area, but is available where my parents live, so we just put that as the address.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sbalding88 - we had my sister's shower in the second trimester. She's a planner and a worrier, and we wanted to make sure we could all gift her things she really wanted and needed so that 1) she didn't just get everything herself or 2) didn't spend months losing sleep over how to afford everything they needed. It was fun and no one said anything about how early it was! 

• @Kathryn0903 great idea! I just checked it out and not available in my area but it is at my parents! 😀
  • I finalized the details for my baby shower this week! Mine is pretty late. I’ll be 34 weeks! We just started planning because the holidays were hectic, so we made it out far enough for people to have the invites a month ahead of time. 

Anyone else helping to plan their own shower? My mom and mother-in-law are technically throwing it, but I’ve done a lot of the work making the invites, deciding where to have it, who to invite, and planning decor. 
  • @babyrummom I helped source the venue, took on getting and assembling favours and I brought a bunch of things to help with set up. I would have done more (I love event planning) but it was forbidden by my pals!

• @babyrummom Same here! I’ll be nearing 34 weeks when we have the shower. It was the weekend that worked best for my mom and my sister to travel. My mom and some of my friends are “hosting,” but really I just convinced them to help me plan an “open house” at our home because what my husband and I really want is a party with our friends before we don’t see them much for a while! 

I designed the invites and compiled the address list, but my mom is having them printed and taking care of mailing them out this weekend. There won’t be much in terms of decor. I have designed some signage and I have planned the food/drink (grazing table and a small bar). Basically, my mom and my sister and my friends who want to be included will help shop for food and drink the day before and help set-up/tear-down.
  • jealous of all the showers! I had an awesome brunch shower for DD, but we didn't do anything for DS1-no one even sent us anything. Not even the grandparents. And with this one no one has mentioned anything either. I think everyone is so nervous to do anything before this kid shows up and is ok, bc of everything with DS1 but I kinda want to celebrate the fact that we are lucky enough to have another little boy.
    Hopefully we will at least get some stuff after he is here. DD got a bunch of monogramed blankets and even a hand knit blanket from my moms friends and family- so I would like this kid to get some things that mean something outside of us buying blankets at a store. I don't care much about the everyday stuff- though I'll take it, but the stuff that I will pack away for DD to have when she has kids, I want DS2 to have some of that.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @korthouse look at those babies!!! What a great way to wake up! 
  • @korthouse Cute puppies make for good mornings. 

@babyrummom My SIL, MIL, and mom are doing a “sprinkle” at my mom’s house when I’m 36 weeks. It’s pretty late, so I’m expecting to have bought most things by then. I didn’t want a shower as this is my second baby, but my family wants to party and it felt rude to say no. Work will probably do a diaper party or something, but no one has said anything, so I’m not sure. Generally, we like any excuse to take a break and eat cake. 

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017