August 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight Series 1/10: Strollers!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions about, S+TMs to share their prior experience with, and everyone to share what they're eyeing in the world of maternity, baby and postpartum products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week we're discussing STROLLERS!

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to navigate and respond to.

For S+TMs: 

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite stroller:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like and don't like about it:
  • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on strollers?:

For FTMs:

• Stroller you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DzmfbSu7toufv3p1VWNu1XOXDaU-tbI5FEfV8av46pc/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight Series 1/10: Strollers!

• Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: DH and I are both runners, so we wanted a stroller we could push while running. 
    • Favorite stroller: The BOB Revolution Flex stroller
    • Link/picture: BOB Gear Revolution Flex 3.0 Jogging Stroller - Up to 75 pounds - UPF 50+ Canopy - Adjustable Handlebar - Easy Fold, Glacier Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LC31T8L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_evhgEb8TEXE8A
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $400, but there are a lot of used ones out there. 
    • What you like and don't like about it: I like how rugged it is. It’s great for walking on rough roads and for handling bumps. I also like the storage. It can also hold an infant carrier. My cons are that it’s very heavy and bulky, so it’s not suited to travel with and can be difficult to handle on my own. 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: looking for a double stroller. I haven’t done much research but we are leaning towards a double BOB
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?:  No
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: We have another stroller for traveling. It feels kind of silly to have two though. 
  • I'm here for all recs on this. I need a new stroller. I babywearing, but ds2 will need one if we are out and about since he will not be 2 when the baby is born. The stroller I have now is a hand me down and is over 10yrs old. Definitely want one that easy to push one handed.
  • Loading the player...
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: We wanted convenience! Made us decide to go with the travel system.
    • Favorite stroller: Britax Travel System. I believe we went the B-agile line.
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): In the $300s
    • What you like and don't like about it: Easy to fold up. Nice big wheels for the crazy sidewalks in our neighborhood. 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: Looking for a double stroller as mentioned in my earlier post. 
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: No! We just picked this one mostly because we liked the carseat and it has been great for us! 
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: I did a lot of baby wearing. I found it easier than trying to navigate a stroller around busy places. But a nice stroller is wonderful for walks! 
  • Thanks @emiliadkay for organizing this!!  

I legit don't even know where to begin with strollers.  As a FTM, I'll admit this and carseats are so intimidating!!  Your recommendations are much appreciated   <3
    Me: 33  DH: 36
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
    EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: Wanted a travel system like @roo_baby mentioned for convenience and everyday stroller. We also have a jogging stroller
    • Favorite stroller: Chicco® Bravo® Trio Travel System
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $379
    • What you like and don't like about it: I loved the convenience factor. It traveled well and had good ratings. I liked you could buy multiple bases to transfer to my car or DHs
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: No
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: The travel system was something I decided would be a splurge item (once you buy all the "extra" pieces it adds up). I am very happy with this stroller and purchase. DD stayed in this car seat until she was ~1 yo. We still used the stroller occasionally when I knew there will be big crowds or tons of walking. 
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: We wanted a stroller that could work for two some day, and I had visions in my head of going on long walks around the neighborhood in my mom jeans, so wanted something sturdy/reasonably substantial.
    • Favorite stroller: Uppababy Vista (the 2-kid version of the Cruz, as @roo_baby mentioned)
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Stupid expensive. We bought the prior model year to save some money (yes, they have model years, which should tell you everything you need to know...) but it was definitely still the most expensive thing we bought for baby, by a good margin.
    • What you like and don't like about it: I love this stroller - it has the nicest ride and handles beautifully. Super tight turning radius. I've never used it for two kids, but I like that it has that functionality and am hoping we can use it as our go-to double stroller. The basket under the stroller is huge and sometimes I just skip the cart altogether when grocery shopping.  On the negatives, it is heavy and has a really wide base -- too wide to fit through the scanners at airport security or to navigate around some restaurants/coffee shops. 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: I'm forever dreaming of umbrella/travel strollers. Will keep an eye out here for recs.
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Nope. We also have a hand-me-down BOB and that's been nice for the like two times I've gone running since DS  :#
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: Just want to second what others have said above about thinking through car seat compatibility (stay tuned for next week's product spotlight!). We need a ring adapter for our stroller and infant seat, and it's super easy to use but one more thing to keep track of, and the couple times we forgot to pack it were devastating.
  • @emiliadkay we also got the prior year model to save money! We were reading the details about the great suspension, etc. and were joking that it was pretty much the same as buying a car. 

If anyone is super excited about uppababy, they are having a 20% off sale now at a variety of retailers. 
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: I love in a small town close enough to most things to walk so wanted something that would hold up but not be too heavy. I also liked that it worked with the car seat we picked. But it is a single stroller and we are expecting#3...
    • Favorite stroller: Graco Click Connect
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$$ with car seat, full travel system
    • What you like and don't like about it: I love it. Lightweight, easy to fold (one hand) and pack up. Found it fit well in any vehicle we needed to get it in and worked well on and international trip (airports included).
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: Not really because I have 2 but my oldest still loves stroller rides so might have to look at something that can seat 3 somehow....probably won't but it's in the back of my mind. 
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: nope
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: I have a used Graco double. I love that it fit my car seat yet. If I had known with my first how much I would use the stroller with two I likely would have gotten one like the City Select doubles. My sister has one and it is awesome! With one seat it looks and feels like a single stroller but both seats work so well also. Expensive but can often find them second hand in good condition. I would get the peg adapters for whatever car seat you get as it makes using it so much easier. 
    For those wondering, for us, the double stroller for our 2 was extremely useful. Not sure how I would have gotten out as much without it. 
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: live in a rural suburban area
    • Favorite stroller: city mini GT 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$
    • What you like and don't like about it:  Cons: it takes a lot of trunk space doesn’t come with many accessories  Pros: easy to fold and super smooth decent under storage 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: Possibly a stroller wagon. Dd will be 4.5 so she won’t need much and I love to baby wear. I like the Keenz but feel like the customer service lacks, Veers are so $$, I’m considering the even flow pivot but I’m not sold. 
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I got a Chico travel system to start with and sort of regret it. The stroller is ok but feels cheap and doesn’t steer nearly as nicely as the city mini
    • Additional thoughts on strollers? Also considering a glider board 
    Craft Blog
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: ages and size of kids. What activities you are using it for
    • Favorite stroller: uppababy vista (if you have two kids or are planning on having more than one in the future) and the double bob flex. With my first I got the uppababy Cruz because I wasn’t sure when we would have a second baby, but I should’ve just went ahead and gotten the vista instead. Also, the vista rides smoother than the Cruz because of the bigger wheels. 
    • Link/picture: https://www.piccolinobaby.com/products/uppababy-vista-2019?variant=12112484139134
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): In 2017 I bought the 2016 vista for $650 from piccolino baby website. So try to find deals on brand new previous models. 
    • What you like and don't like about it: pros: I love the uppababy vista for doctor visit visits (I like to keep my kids contained because of the germy toys at the doctor), every day target trips, mall shopping etc because it has tandem seats and a huge storage area underneath. I never need a cart when using this stroller. Cons: it’s not great for walking in the neighborhood or parks because it’s difficult to turn and to pop the front wheels up on curbs when you have both kids in it. The front child weighs it down. This is why I also have a double bob that I keep set up in my garage for walks and runs in the neighborhood. 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: I’ll stick to the vista and may get the piggyback board for my oldest who will be 4.5 years old. 
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: 
  • We have an older model double BOB and a cheap umbrella stroller. 

I really like the BOB. It's smooth and comfortable. It is big and bulky for transporting places, but I don't mind that. The umbrella was a cheap grocery store purchase. It is nice for in a pinch, but the handles or horrid. Take any one you buy for a test walk before buying! Ours the handles are juuuust short enough that you have to hunch, and it's incredibly uncomfortable to push it around anywhere for more than a couple minutes. And neither DH nor I are overly tall people! I want to try one of the PVC pipe hacks to make the handles taller. 

We have never tried to attach a car seat to a stroller. I prefer baby wearing for tiny babies. 
  • I haven’t bought a stroller in over 7 years! We had a city mini and used it for the first two kids. I’m planning to get an uppababy Cruz this time around.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: I plan to walk a lot in the neighborhood and use stroller to take to the mall, errands, etc. Already have an Uppababy Cruz and a Bob, DD will be 4 when baby arrives. 
    • Favorite stroller: Loved my Cruz for DD when she was younger, but she is too big to really use the it now and we just mostly use the Bob to take to the park or when I jog (rare)
    • Link/picture: https://uppababy.com/cruz/overview/
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): both $$$
    • What you like and don't like about it: love both for different purposes. The Cruz was awesome with the Mesa car seat, super easy and used it a ton the first 2 years. The Cruz isn’t compact, but we have flown with it several times and it was easy. Bob has been great since 8 months old and still fits our large 3.5 year old.  I rarely ever fold and take it places in the car because it’s sooo heavy. Mostly use it to run and walk around the neighborhood, but have taken it on dirt trails and it was great. 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:  Considering an umbrella stroller that is lightweight for when baby is 6mo+
    • Additional thoughts on strollers? I thought the strollers we chose were so expensive, but for how much I used them over the past 3 years relative to other baby things they are so worth the expense! I spent a lot of time deciding between the Vista and Cruz and went with the Cruz because we weren’t planning on a second child for a while. 
    • Questions: Do I need a double stroller?? DD will be 4 - has anyone gotten the piggyback board for the Cruz? Best umbrella stroller recommendations
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited January 2020
    We almost did the Chicco Keyfit 30 + City Mini GT, but DH was primarily concerned with carseat / stroller compatibility, so we found a great deal on the Chicco bravo travel system and haven't looked back!

<p>For S+TMs: </p><ul><li>Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice:  I also have various wraps, slings, and SSCs for babywearing, so I wasn't planning on using the stroller a tonne.  We do have trail access near my house, but I figured babywearing would be easier to hike that anyway, due to the really varigated, steep, bumpy path we'd have to walk for access.  I thought it would come in handy maybe at the park, mall, etc. i.e. moreso for smoother pavement / floor, than rugged outdoor terrain, and who am I kidding, I don't really run hardly ever anymore, least of all pushing a stroller.  So realistically, if DH were to watch the baby and just let me run on my own, that would probably be more my bag anyway.</li><li>Favorite stroller: Chicco Bravo</li><li>Link/picture: I got the travel system at Albee baby</li><li>Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$</li><li>What you like and don't like about it: I love how easy it is to fold up and throw in the backseat with one hand.  The infant seat is super easy to click in, too, especially when the baby falls asleep in her carseat.  In the big kid setting, I like that the seat reclines so she can also nap or work on a bottle in there.  And I can fit an awful lot of stuff in the basket underneath.  I'm a little annoyed that one of the strap pads slipped off somehow and is no where to be found.  Really, the only con is that she can get hot / sweaty in the carseat, but to me the safety of the Keyfit 30 is what sold me anyway, and much more important in my book.  The carseat cover is actually pretty easy to pull off, wash, air dry and put back on again, which I've done several times (while watching the YouTube tutorial for a refresher lol) so that's very cool.</li><li>Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?:  Thinking about the Chicco Bravo For 2. I want to get more practice babywearing my toddler though, and decide for sure if it'll be worth it.  If the nb is asleep in the carseat, I'd rather click him / her in, rather than take them out and wrap maybe, which leaves me wearing or dragging a toddler, unless we get the double.  Of course I'd rather wear the nb and push the toddler, but I realise it may not always go down like that.  Maybe a double umbrella once both the kids are bigger.</li><li>Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?:  I've only ever used the Chicco Bravo.</li><li>Additional thoughts on strollers?:. I think being honest about your lifestyle when you decide whatwto look for is the most important thing.  There are so many pricey strollers out there that may end up costing much more than they are worth, depending on how much use they get.  For as much as we use it, I think I would have felt a little silly if we had spent a whole lot more $$.</li><li>ETA but honestly, they are all good!  So I would try not to overthink it too much.</li></ul>
  • @jdl330 That is an excellent pointer re: the 2-child configuration for the vista being front heavy. I hadn't thought about that. How bad is it without the kids loaded up? We have a one-car driveway and as annoying as it is to always plan who's parked behind who, I'm equally frustrated that it means I can't ever push the stroller through to the garage and have to pull it up the steps into the house.

@WishesSheCouldCook Ah! I forgot about stroller wagons! I have a friend with a 3 year old and 10 month old and she loves that solution. I think partly because it saves her from having to strap anyone in (not sure if you're supposed to, but she doesn't) and then she can just keep an eye on both of them more easily than most stroller configurations.
  • @emiliadkay It’s possible to pop up the front wheels when the kids aren’t in the stroller. Another point is that it is so long that moving it through doorways when you are trying to hold the door with one hand and maneuver a limo-like stroller with the other hand is kind of awkward to do! I’ve been able to figure it out along the way though and I hold the door open and go through myself, then grab the front seat bumper bar to pull the stroller through towards me. I do really like the tandem configuration though. Imagine trying to get through clothing aisles in a store with a double wide stroller! Seems kinda impossible. 
  • @WishesSheCouldCook you can purchase Veer wagons with an Amazon credit card for small monthly payments. The payments will end long before the kid outgrows it. 

For S+TMs: 

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $ a month
    • What you like and don't like about it: I like that it could work for walks, visits in tight spaces 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: the wagon and a double stroller that isn't side by side. 
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Graco click connect stroller. I believe it was the original one from years ago that was passed down to me. It was easy to put in a vehicle and attach the car seat to but it is extremely hard to push, the wheels get stuck a lot. My girl is very tiny for a 1 year old and it has been miserable to push, so weight isn't a factor. 
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: I'm just here for the recommendations for double strollers that are one above the other instead of side by side. 

Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• cornichonmamcornichonmam member
    edited January 2020
    For S+TMs:
    • Individual (e.g., lifestyle) factors that might influence your choice: I wanted to buy well and buy once, we were planning on having more children, so I wanted one I could turn into a double buggy, our house is up a flight of steps so it had to be easy to get up and down. 
    • Favorite stroller: Uppababy Vista 2018 Link/picture: https://uppababy.com/uk/vista/overview/ 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$$ It's so expensive in the UK even more than in the US because of import duty and poor exchange rates but it's still supper popular, I know at least another 6 mums with one. 
    • Loves: Supper sturdy, goes up and down steps well bc of big wheels, can be turned into a double, multiple configurations, stands when folded (which is great in restraints where space is tight), the bassinet lifts of with a press of a button on the handle (this was great to get it up into the house then I would go back and get the base), fits in my small car (VW Polo), The sun shade of the bassinet and seat is great and creates a nice cosy private space for naps, the basket is huge, adjustable handle height (this was very important as my husband is a lot taller than me), the wheels come off easily (great for cleaning if muddy and it takes less room up in the car), it fits with multiple car seats, the bassinet is certified for overnight sleeping and we used it when traveling may times, everything has held up very well after 16 m of hard use. 
    • Dislikes: It's pretty big and wide (there has been a few isles in small shops that I haven't been able to get through), it's quite heavy. 
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering? Why?: I was going to get an umbrella stroller but my mother-in-law got one for when she looks after him and it actually doesn't fit in my car because it is too long. 
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: You really need to consider your vehicle, how you get into your home, where you will store it and if your going to have more children. What makes your buggy the right one for you will be how well it meets those factors. The thing that has really made mine the one is that I could easily take the bassinet off to carry it up the steps to my house. After my c-section it was months before I was strong enough to get the whole thing up with my son in it.
  • We have a BOB jogging stroller for my daughter and we love it. I'm not sure which one it is. I need a 2 seater now. I also want it to have a space for my dog since he's older and doesn't last as long on walks now. The search has started! I think the BOB for 2 might be too heavy. 
    Married July 2014
    DD born June 2016
    Second due August 2020 (team green!)
    • Factors that might influence your choice: Converts to double stroller, Travel system, Hand brake
    • Favorite stroller: Baby Jogger City Select Lux
    • Link/picture: babyjogger.com
    • Cost: $630 for the stroller, $200 for the additional seat
    • What you like and don't like about it: I wanted a high end stroller that I could convert to a double. I used the City Go car seat (adapter costs extra) on the stroller first. Now we'll do the car seat plus the regular seat and eventually two regular seats. The extra parts are all expensive, which sucks. Its heavy but easy to open and close. It is really easy to push. The hand brake is nice. I bought the drink holder/storage thing that hangs off the handle bar, but it's not that great and doesnt really fit right. I wouldn't use this stroller for traveling or quick trips, we use the lightweight umbrella stroller for that.
    • Is there a stroller you don't have but are considering?: No
    • Is there a stroller you've tried that you absolutely hate?: No
    • Additional thoughts on strollers?: For expensive strollers, use a bike lock so they dont get stolen.