August 2020 Moms

TTGP Grad Check-in 1.09.20

This is a check-in for people who were active on TTGP before getting the BFP. We welcome all TTGPers in other BMBs as well. 

What's going on this week?

How far along are you?

Upcoming appointments?

Cravings/Symptoms?

Rants/Raves/Randoms?

Questions?
Me: 33  DH: 36
Dating 4/2008
Married 6/2016
TTC #1  9/2019
BFP 12/13/2019!
EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3

Re: TTGP Grad Check-in 1.09.20

• What's going on this week? Hormonal headaches. I’ve been such a sloth as a result. I’ve gotten zero workouts in and feel like garbage. 

How far along are you? 9w6d 

Upcoming appointments? 1/23 NT scan/NIPT draw 

Cravings/Symptoms? Just the headaches and being tired. My cravings are all over the map. Today it was pasta. 

Rants/Raves/Randoms? I’m ready for these next two weeks to fly by so I can get another peak at our little one. I just want to get to another scan and come out with only positive comments. 

Questions? Anyone getting a Doppler or have one? I didn’t have one for my first but borrowed one for my second. It was fun with my daughter but now I’m scared I’m just freak myself out this time. 
  • @blackgirlmagic there’s no time quota in these ones, join us! 
  • Loading the player...
  • What's going on this week? Pregnancy wise I’m perfectly fine. Smells are strong at times but not consistent and the insomnia is probably the worst. 

How far along are you? 10+4

Upcoming appointments? Nurses appointment tomorrow. I’m not sure what to expect. NT scan 1/23

Cravings/Symptoms? Cravings change daily and all my symptoms are gone!  

Rants/Raves/Randoms? Nothing much. 

Questions? None 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• Morning girls!  Happy Friday!!!

@tyrion_ I feel you on the sloth, lol... I haven't done any workouts either... this fatigue is kicking me in the butt!  I saw that you could rent the doppler for I think $30/month.  I thought about it but read that it's not that easy to locate the heartbeat and I'm sure I'll just end up freaking myself out, so I'm going to pass I think.  I hope the next few weeks fly by too so I can get into see my little poppy too!!

@blackgirlmagic That's awesome that your symptoms are mostly gone!  I hope your insomnia clears soon, that's a rough one!  When are you leaving for Japan?

@emiliadkay Come join us girl... There are no time quotas here  :)

What's going on this week?  Been super tired this week.  Looking forward to catching up on some sleep this weekend.  Hubs and I are house hunting Sunday, so I'm looking forward to that.  Also, this weekend is supposed to be in the 50s and 60s (I live in NJ where it's been ~30), so I'm looking forward to walking outside!

How far along are you?  7w1d

Upcoming appointments?  January 21 to meet with the doctor (whom I haven't met yet!).  I switched practices a few months prior to trying to one closer where they have midwives and are focused on natural births.  I've only met with one of the midwives in the past.

Cravings/Symptoms?  I've been wanting carbs, salty carbs!!!  Tired, queasy if my stomach gets empty so I'm eating every few hours which is annoying and not helping the bloat lol... and my nose has been stuffy for weeks.

Rants/Raves/Randoms?  It's Friday so I'm excited for that!  And my boss is out today, yay!

Questions?  Should we not be eating bacon?  I read hot dogs and lunch meat because of the nitrates (although Boar's Head is okay??).  I feel so stupid because I love Taylor Ham (breakfast meat in NJ) and bacon and have had them a few times, and I didn't realize they have nitrates in them!!  Now I feel terrible, but I really want the saltiness!!  
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • ziggymama06 I leave tomorrow night and we don't come back to the states until the 20th. So I may not be active for awhile. Let's see how good the hotel wifi is over there. If I went to subway or bought deli meat, I would just heat it up. Last time I saw somewhere that that was ok. But I'm not a fan of "hot" sandwiches unless I get them from subway for some reason. 

• @blackgirlmagic Ahhh Have such a great trip!!  Don't worry about posting.. enjoy yourself and all the yummy salty foods!!  Isn't heating meat up for listeria?  What about the nitrates/nitrites?  I read conflicting info ughhh...
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • Hey ladies!  I started to update on Thursday night and it's just been kinda busy....

How far along are you?  8 weeks

Upcoming appointments?  Wednesday have my first MW appointment after graduating the RE. :)

@ziggymama06  Now I'm so curious if we maybe even have the same practice??? Lol or I know there's another big MW practice we toured as well. (I'm also in NJ)

Cravings/Symptoms?  Not too much, other than shortness of breath, occasional waves of nausea/lightheadedness, rare flashes of RPL, and being ready to go to bed at 830 lol

Rants/Raves/Randoms?  Loss stuff still weighs a little heavy on my mind...

<div class=" Spoiler">I feel so sad for ladies who've suffered recent, sudden losses.  And scared, too, bc my mother said something to me when I told her about the pregnancy with DD, "not to feel too bad if I had a loss at 10 weeks." 😥 So I mean, how horrible - I know she had two losses between me and my brother.  But even 10 weeks seems like so far along, just when you start to think you're maybe safe... So.  Ugh.  I hate that that's one of the few memories I have about telling my mom about being pregnant.  I will be happy when we get to 2nd tri.</div>
    Questions?  

@tyrion_ I won't be getting a Doppler.  I know some people find them comforting, some people it just makes them more obsessive. 🤷 I think it helps to know yourself and how you would react. Like if you were to struggle to find the hb, would you panic and only feel more stressed out?  Idk.  For me I just want less waves on my belly, what with all the early scans we have to have anyway.  Omg I can't believe NIPT is so close!!!

@blackgirlmagic I know you probably said on another thread, remind me where you are traveling?  Hope you have fun and safe travels!
  • @BusinessWife I am traveling to Japan today. I’m not looking forward to the long flight and leaving my baby, but I’m looking forward to the trip. I agree with you that ten weeks seems so late to lose a pregnancy. I remember being a ftm and being so ignorant to pregnant loss and this time around it’s on my mind, but I do my best not to put too much thought into it. 

• Lurking (because I miss all of your!)

@ziggymama06 I didn’t know you were in NJ! We’ve got to be so close if you like Taylor pork roll! (I’m in PA just over the Trenton Makes bridge!) So from what I remember from my first pregnancy you can do lunch meat (cold cuts) because of the increased risk of listeria. I never heard anything about hot dogs or bacon or pork roll, those are all cooked (at least to 165 degrees which kills bacteria) so you should be fine!
    Our TTC Journey
    TTC #1: May 2011
    BFP: 10/27/2011 |  EDD: 6/30/12
    DS born 6/28/12 via C/S 3 

TTC #2: September 2018
    Me: 36 | DH: 39
    Mirena removed 9/13/2018 after 6 years
    BFP 11/11/2018 | MC @ 5.5 weeks on Thanksgiving
    July 2019 - Diagnosed with Secondary Unexplained IF
    August 2019 - 2.5 mg of Letrozole = Never Ovulated so Trigger and IUI were cancelled
    9/30/2019 - IUI #1 (5 mg of Letrozole + Trigger) =  BFP but Betas showed CP @ 4 weeks
    10/28/2019 - IUI #2 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Trigger) = BFN
    11/25/2019 - IUI #3 (7.5mg of Letrozole, Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    12/24/2019 - IUI #4 (7.5mg of Letrozole + Crinone after IUI) = BFN
    1/24/2020 - IUI #5 (50mg of Clomid + Trigger + Crinone after IUI) = BFN and an Ovarian Cyst
    3/2/2020 - Taking a break to reset/NTNP
    11/1/2020 - At peace with where things are in life and are no long actively TTC. Whatever happens will happen and it will all be okay. <3

• @ziggymama06 what @kpearse99 said!  Even with cold cuts, I would just heat them up at home JIK, or eventually have the odd sub or whatever from a place I trust.  I don't think you have to worry about it as much as they used to tell people.
  • @BusinessWife Omg I don't think I realized you were in NJ either!  I'm in north NJ not too far from NYC and my practice isn't that big.... where are you in NJ?? I also have the recent losses on my mind and it's a struggle to push them out.  10 weeks does seem far along and you're right that you'd start to feel safer... my heart is so sad for them.  Ugh, I'm sorry that is a memory you have with your mom of being pregant :(  Will feel so much better reaching second tri too!!

@kpearse99 I didn't realize you lived up here too!!  I'm closer to NYC but looking to move further west a bit!!  I miss you girls too ❤

@BusinessWife & @kpearse99 Aren't we supposed to avoid nitrates/nitrites too?  I thought that was also the issue with meats, but why Boar's Head was ok, bc they don't add any?
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • coldlifecoldlife member
    edited January 2020
    Generally speaking, pregnant women are told to avoid deli meats because of the potential for exposure to listeria. The major organizations don't mention anything about nitrates/nitrites in their reasoning for why you should avoid it - the APA, CDC, ACOG. 

Nitrates/nitrites aren't good for you in general! But right now, that's not considered a pregnancy thing. That's a general thing for everyone. 

That said, I don't specifically avoid nitrates or nitrites when I buy meat (which is not often because we don't eat much for sandwiches and buy few commercial meat products), and I also don't avoid them or throughly heat them because I think the listeria risk is waaaaaay overhyped. 

ETA: sorry, I don't really go here! Didn't realize what thread I clicked on. 
  • @ziggymama06 sometimes I'm more vigilant than others about nitrites etc. Because they are just not good for you!  And other times 🤷 for example today, I imay or may not have indulged in pepperoni, summer sausage, and two kinds of cheddar - that I'm sure had absolutely nothing to do with this thread! Lol 🤣 I just need to make sure I drink enough water to make up for the high salt, but otherwise I'm not too concerned.

I'm farther west now than I used to be, actually not too far from PA @kpearse99 I was going to try Avalon this time and switch hospitals, but we also did the orientation with Midwives of NJ. @ziggymama06
  • Ah, I see.  Thanks so much girls... definitely makes me feel better!!  FWIW I did read that consuming vitamin c with any nitrates helps you body not absorb the negative effects.... so I'll just have a glass of oj with my taylor ham egg and cheese bagel 🤣🤣🤣
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • ziggymama06ziggymama06 member
    edited January 2020
    @BusinessWife Is Avalon in western NJ?  I thought that was down the shore near Cape May?
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • Thanks for the welcome, @ziggymama06! I wasn't sure about protocol.

What's going on this week? Last week was all about getting back into the swing of things at work. This week I'm hoping to get a little more organized/proactive in our cleaning, cooking etc. routines.

How far along are you? 7w4d

Upcoming appointments? Yep, first OB appointment tomorrow!

Cravings/Symptoms? Some nausea, some headaches (could be unrelated to pregnancy), general off-ness and low energy. I want to eat all the time, and while I'm normally a sweets person give me alllllll the salt at the moment. 

Rants/Raves/Randoms? My jeans officially hurt when I wear them now (darn you, fashion and your high-waisted trends!). I think it's probably all the extra eating and sodium as much as any early baby bump, but it's cue-ing all that "what the hell am I going to wear today??" anxiety of late 1st/early 2nd tri.

@blackgirlmagic Safe travels and enjoy this trip to the fullest!

@tyrion_Just seconding what @BusinessWife already said about the doppler. It really is a "know thyself" sort of thing. I'm not planning to get one -- we did Bradley classes for DS, and they sort off freaked us out about how loud/stressful the doppler can be to the fetus. I don't actually know if that's real science, Bradley can be a little woo woo here and there. But maybe something to ask your doctor? I'm sorry this has been such a tough week on you physically and hope this phase is short-lived.

@ziggymama06 All my friends in the northeast are raving about the weather this weekend!! Yessssss to all the salty carbs. And I'm glad your go-to breakfast is safe for now :) If you haven't already looked into it, I would highly recommend Expecting Better as a fun, relatively quick read that goes into all of the science and latest research on the dos and donts of pregnancy. There are still so many unknowns and so much of it is finding your own comfort level, but I did learn a thing or two and in some cases felt better just confirming that many things are, really and truly, gray.

@BusinessWife I'm sorry the risk of loss is weighing especially heavily on you at this moment. I think someone, maybe even you, asked back in the day about whether posting that "probability of NOT having a miscarriage" chart would be helpful or triggering. The group decided against, which I understand, but for me personally it does provide some comfort. We are never safe, but with each passing day we are a little safer, our pregnancies are a little stronger and we can be a little more hopeful and excited. I hope your sense of peace returns soon <3

• @ziggymama06, @BusinessWife, and @emiliadkay I was pretty disciplined with my daughter when I had one. Once a week, less than 5 minutes. Always found her quickly. I passed it along to a friend once I felt her move consistently. But that was pre-loss life when I just had regular pregnancy anxiety 🤪 I think I’ll be passing on buying one but if a friend passes one to me I may set the same limits for myself as I did before. And if it gets to be too much, I’ll get rid of the thing. 

@blackgirlmagic Have so much fun! Hope the WiFi is plentiful! 

@BusinessWife That loss in our group rocked me, too. I had to step away this weekend and reset before I let it consume me. One day at a time. We are pregnant today 💗