April 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight- Travel Accessories

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Travel Accessories !

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For all....
What products do you reccomend for travel?
Any products necessary for plane vs car travel?

To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1j7iBv8rbDsTBMXAK7R3NWhG-619XNbpdNza2uci0iYs/edit#gid=0!
Next up: Teething Accessories 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight- Travel Accessories

• I'm interested to hear what others will say about travel at a young age. We didn't really do travel unti DS was 1, but this time I plan on traveling when baby is 5-6 months old.
    My thoughts for travel accessories:
    -Depending on what type of travel, a travel crib like a pack n play. Most hotels will give a crib or pack n play, though.
    -if baby is on formula, a travel bottle warmer if bottles must be warm. Also, I like to pack dish soap and a sponge for washing bottles in a hotel sink.
    - either a stroller or baby carrier is probably useful
    - a sound machine for putting baby to sleep

Others, please add your thoughts.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We didn’t travel overnight until DS was already over 1 and off formula. The first time we flew, he was 2. I don’t have any advice for traveling with young babies. I can provide some insight into traveling with toddlers, if anyone wants it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Loading the player...
  • We mostly traveled once DS was 1+. We borrowed a PnP mattress from my cousin that was foldable so it made sleeping in hotels so much easier.

I know I've said this before, but the Boon travel drying rack was so handy for me with all the pump and bottle parts that had to be washed.
  • Our first extended vacation with DS was when he was 9 months old. Six hour car ride and we stayed in a villa which made conveniences of home require less packing. We stopped half way to get out and move around and I sat in the back with him to ward off any issues. 
    We brought: pack n play, bumbo (to sit in for feedings), small bag of toys, lightweight stroller, and everyday basics (diapers, wipes, bottles, clothes, etc.)  
    When flying with him <1yo, we gate checked lightweight stroller and car seat, made sure we had a bottle for take off/landing to avoid ears popping, a chair-tie seat for feedings (don’t know the “technical” name🤔), and reserved a pack and play with the resort we stayed at. Also made sure our carry on had a days worth of what he’d need in case we had issues with luggage.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're going to be traveling with baby at just 3 months for my best friend's wedding. Just over 2 hour flight, so manageable, but if anyone has tips for traveling with a really little one like that I'd love to hear them!
  • @korthouse one nice thing about flying is the TSA (at least in the US) doesn't care about how many ounces of formula or breastmilk or even baby food you carry on. They don't have to be under 3.5oz.

For the ear popping, it's helpful to have them sucking/swallowing something. So we had bottles ready to go for take off. 
  • We traveled a fair amount when DD was an infant. Check with the airlines on breastmilk or liquid policies (Canada and US are different). I also downloaded airport maps ahead of time to see where the nursing rooms were located. For on board, I kept wipes, diapers, change of clothes in a small pouch so I didn't have to lug a diaper bag back and forth to the bathroom. Bottle or pacifier helped with ear popping. I gate checked my stroller.

PnP- got used way more than I would have thought. We seemed to take it everywhere with us. We went to Vegas when she was 6m old and I ordered a basic one off of Amazon for $30 to be delivered to the house we were staying at (I just left it after).

Carseat- We bought a Cosco Scenera (inexpensive, decent ratings) as our travel carseat so we wouldn't risk our expensive seats getting damaged if we had to check it or the integrity of the seat being jeopardized. Link

You can also check if there are any services that rent baby equipment at your destination. A lot of cities have places that will rent PnPs, high chairs, toys, strollers, etc.

Favorite travel stroller- Link

We also camp, and this high chair was amazing (can be used indoors too): Link
    Also loved having this: Link