March 2020 Moms
Options

January Symptoms

Re: January Symptoms

• Options
    @dunder_mifflin I am also a medical social worker in a hospital - and feel you on the stress and high demand of the job. I will likely be going on modified duty at 32 weeks, which for me will mean my regular work assignment will need to be covered by a per diem and I will most likely be making outpatient phone calls. While I feel bad (kind of lol), I also need to just think about myself and baby right now. Plus it’s flu season and every time I see a consult for a flu patient, I panic and I’m over that. Do what’s best for you and the baby - ur employer can handle it.
  • Options
    @dunder_mifflin, yeah, I've definitely had that happen. It seems random -- hits once when I get overheated on public transport and another time when I overdid it on a hill biking. There doesn't seem to be a consistent trigger, but the only thing that works is drinking some water laying down for a couple hours afterward. Hit up the nap room at work at least twice in the last month because of it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @pdx2020 NAP ROOM?!?! I need to come work at your job hahaha 
  • Options
    @mrsc918 I’m actually kind of relieved to hear that I’m not the only one, lol. And you have the same job as me so you get the fast-pace and the pressure to be “doing” and discharging. I think I can do my job but at like 6-8 patients max vs. the 14 each of the social workers are at right now. I just need to take it slow and we just brought on our retired social worker as a casual position (she’s a legend! And we love her) so it may be more feasible. I’m just one of those people who are really stubborn and are terrible at being sick/slowing down in general so it’s breaking my heart a bit to admit I can’t keep up. Just coming to terms with it but in my gut I think I truly need to slow down. I did today but I left two hours later and I can’t pull 10 hour days to get my work done.

im going to check-in with my midwife tomorrow and call occupational health at work too, thank you so much! Truly it means a lot to know I’m not alone - especially from another IP social worker ☺️
  • Options
    And @pdx2020 I want a nap room!!!
  • Options
    @dunder_mifflin I fainted on the plane a few weeks ago, which isn't the same, but likely a lot of what led to it was caused by a lot of what you're describing--overdoing it, mainly. Here is my advice (which is mostly from my ob & helped me not faint again on the plane when I flew for my campus visit--despite feeling light-headed for sure at a few points during the ride: get enough sleep, eat more protein, take breaks to get up and walk around, elevate your feet when possible.  I've alssooo been getting the little gold swimmies in my eyes at times, and I think trying to take it easy is really important, though so so hard for me--and I think you can relate to that difficulty.
  • Options
    I definitely find eating protein to be the only thing that helps me when I start feeling very off. Once I begin feeling faint I go for some type of meat and it makes a world of a difference @dunder_mifflin
    Me: 37 | H: 44
    **TW**
    TTC #1: May 2015
    IF DX January 2016- Me: Right sided hydrosalpinx 
    Right tube removed: February 2016
    Acupuncture + TCM: March 2016
    BFP: July 4, 2016 | DS: March 2017 (39w 2d)
    TTC #2: April 2019
    BFP #2: April 2019 | CP: April 30, 2019 (4w 2d)
    BFP #3: July 15, 2019
    EDD: March 23, 2020

• Options
    I’ve been having some really mild BH contractions. My MW wasn’t concerned but did say I should call if I have more than 5 in an hour.
  • Options
    @pdx2020 I want to give that dog a hug in the nap room.
  • Options
    The weird symptom I was hoping wouldn't come back with my pregnancy with DS3 has unfortunately happened for the first time last night.  :(  Starry vision and traveling tingling sensations on the right side of my body (in my fingers then my mouth.)  This happened to me once in high school, then a few times during third trimester with my pregnancies with DS1 and DS2.  Whenever I'd explain it to my midwives, they'd be at a loss for what would cause something like that.  At the end of my pregnancy with DS2 they said I should see a neurologist if it happens again.  I just called the nurse line and left a message asking if they have any neurologist recs.  Hopefully I can find a doc that doesn't just give me a really weird look when I explain these wacky symptoms.
    DS1 07/2015
    DS2 10/2017
    DS3 due 03/2020
  • Options
    Plus one to the feeling faint.. though mine happened when I was relaxing on the couch, so I'm not quite sure what caused it - at first I thought it might be a blood sugar thing, but I checked that and it was fine.  I just got really light-headed and felt like I was going to faint for sure.  freaked me out a little, since this didn't happen to me in my other pregnancies.  
  • Options
    @kailanae I had similar symptoms to that earlier in my pregnancy! My OB said it was likely a circulation issue and to try to walk, or move my arms and legs a bit. It typically happened to me after sitting for awhile. Hope that might help a bit!
  • Options
    Woke up this morning with no voice and a stuffy nose. Working around kids really isn't helping my immune system. All I hear is coughing and sneezing all day at my job. I went to my OB this morning and she suggested I take Vitamin A and C.

The other day at work I felt faint and my heart rate was way higher than normal. It's the first time it's happened to me but it definitely didn't feel good. My supervisor is going to stop assigning me any new detainees starting the end of this month so they can slowly start reassigning my caseload. Seeing 15 kids a day is really not working for me anymore.
  • Options
    @treetop19 were you laying on your back? If so, it could've been because there was too much pressure on your vena cava vein. 

@kailanae I've had starry vision and tingling in my limbs too. It doesn't happen super often, but I've chalked it up to my blood pressure being a little on the low side during this pregnancy, and the increased blood volume that comes along with pregnancy. I'd only worry about the starry vision if it's accompanied by high BP, lots of swelling, etc. as those things together can be signs of preeclampsia. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Options
    @dunder_mifflin Hugs! Getting that light headed etc. can be very scary. I had one episode like you are describing two weeks ago. Oddly, I also momentarily broke out in a rash. I immediately called the doctor on call and she reassured me that barring other symptoms it is VERY normal because of all the increased blood flow etc. to have these types of episodes. As @miss.sally said, she indicated that I should rest and drink fluids--and call if it happened again. I would just make sure to mention it at each appointment but try not to stress. I do think it is relatively normal. It CAN be a sign of early pre eclampsia, but they are monitoring you for that regardless. 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @miss.sally Lol definitely feeling like a rotisserie chicken as well. I toss and turn all night and I now have a hatred towards my pregnancy pillow I feel like it’s just in the way. I flung it across the room last night lol I guess in trying to get comfortable I keep falling asleep with my hands underneath me somehow and I keep waking up with them numb. Ugh I miss sleep!!! 
  • Options
    @pdx2020 I want to live in that nap room!
    @miss.sally I also feel like a rotisserie chicken! Ha! Great analogy, especially with the hot flashes I'm experiencing.
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • Options
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @miss.sally +1 for feeling that way too. I have found prenatal yoga before bed and a hot bath help a bit. But as I dehydrate throughout the night the aches and cramps in my hips and IT band just get worse and worse. Blah. 
    **TW**

• Options
    Haha @miss.sally I read that and thought “I mean I guess rotisserie chicken sounds good. But that’s a weirdly specific craving.” 😂

but yeah, I toss and turn all night and can’t stay comfortable.
  • Options
    What a day!! I’ve had a persistent cough and runny nose for a few days now and last night it just got worse and I started having body aches and chest pains and could not sleep. I went to urgent care this morning and they sent me to the ER because they said my heart rate and blood pressure were high. Spent 4 hours at the ER to monitor my heart rate and they swabbed me for the flu (which was an experience lol) luckily everything came back good and I just have a bad cold. They gave me an asthma treatment and prescribed me an inhaler and some Flonase. Sunday is my baby shower so I’m just planning on staying in bed till then to get better. I really am not someone who easily catches colds but it seems pregnancy has weakened my immune system. This is the 3rd time I’ve been sick in the past few months. Any safe cold remedies I should know about? 
  • Options
    @stacey6689 I drank hot tea (a bag of lemon and a bag of peppermint mixed) with a tablespoon of honey pretty religiously when I was sick. It helps soothe the throat. Also tons of cough drops. But I had a cough as well. I hope you get better quickly and can enjoy your baby shower!!!
  • Options
    @miss.sally Thank you! The tea with honey has definitely been helping. 
  • Options
    Woo, Thursday and yesterday I had heartburn for 17 hours straight!!! I was too terrified of ODing on tums so I made do with ginger tea... eventually it subsided. Praying I can avoid a spell that bad for a while.

My brain's been a total fog all week, from stress and lack of sleep and probably a few hormones. I don't know if "pregnancy brain" is real but at least I have something upon which to blame my absence of sense and patience.
  • Options
    @mauvelousone I read somewhere that your brain actually shrinks by 8% when you’re pregnant and never goes fully back to normal! I can’t remember where I read that. Lol. Of course. 
  • Options
    @miss.sally that is a scary stat! Disturbing, yet it makes a lot of sense. 

My symptom of the day: Can’t tell if my hormones are raging or my husband is just being an arse.  Anyone else feeling short tempered with their SO?
  • Options
    puppylove8910puppylove8910 member
    edited January 2020
    @mrsc918 I love your rant because it is very, very true. I didn't bond with my DS until he was 6 months old and I truly thought there was something wrong with me. I didn't shed any tears after birth and felt so out of my body for many months. That's the reality for some moms. At least this time around I'm better prepared mentally for the potential lack of attachment that may happen again.
    **TW**

• Options
    @Cristin343 I'm not that way today but TOTALLY have been at that "not sure" precipice in recent times!
  • Options
    @cristin343 I have absolutely been much more ragey and short tempered with H. He went to a friends house last night (which he hasn’t done in months), and I legit cried and was angry at him until he got home at 1am. Totally sabotaging my own sleep. Lol. Pregnancy is so weird. 
  • Options
    I have a TMI symptom question: 

can we talk discharge for a hot minute? So up until now it’s been thick. But yesterday and today it changed to a lot of clear watery stuff. Is anyone else experiencing that? I can’t remember in my last pregnancy if that happened or not. 

• Options
    Nothing is too TMI for this board :)!

I have a mixture of thick and clear and watery discharge, and have for months. It's like, a spot of thick in the middle of clear watery. I have to wear panty liners or my underwear is pretty much soaked. For a hot second I freaked out that my amniotic fluid was leaking, but I'm measuring on track and this has literally been happening for months, but if you're worried I'd check with your doctor. 
  • Options
    Can anyone explain Braxton Hix contractions? Last couple days I’ve had a stomach ache (belly area not lower abdomen). Like the type of pain you have if you eat something bad? There’s no tightening or anything.
  • Options
    @mrsc918 that doesn’t really sound like Braxton Hicks. Does it come and go? With my first I felt my whole stomach suddenly feel tight and it’d stay that way for a minute or so then relax. Sometimes I’d just get the one other times I’d get 2 or 3. It was nothing time-able for me but I’ve heard they can be timeable like real contractions. This time I haven’t gotten many but it kind of just feels like general pressure on my abdomin so far and then it’ll relax again after a few minutes. I’ve always noticed them when I’ve kind of overdone it with lots of walking or just being on my feet for a long time. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    @lemonlove86 thanks! I figured it was normal. I definitely don’t think it’s amniotic fluid. I don’t even know what the point of my question was TBH. Lol. Sleep deprived and out-of-it I guess. 😂
  • Options
    The amount of effort it takes to make a good poop is so frustrating. Colace, prune juice, million ounces of water, constant walks, pure barre, fiber. All to only go once every 2-3 days😭 
    **TW**

• Options
    @pupplove8910 Oh man, haha, I was totally in your shoes in Dec.-early Jan. w/ the constipation. IDK how it got under control, but my BMs have been much more regular lately (FINGERS CROSSED-- every day I make it happen, I still praise the gods of 💩.) I am going to credit my every-morning oatmeal & fruit-instead-of-ice-cream after dinner (sometimes for dinner.)