April 2020 Moms

GTKY 12/26 - Games

Our board is is a little slow with the holidays, so let's liven it up with a new GTKY!
What kind of games do you like? Card/board/video/etc?
Did you have a favorite game growing up?
Favorite game now?
Any new discoveries you're loving?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: GTKY 12/26 - Games

• Traditionally, I have loved board games. We used to get a new board game every Christmas and then spend the school break playing it! Recently, I got into the game “code names”. It’s a fun party game. 

My husband got a Nintendo switch last Christmas so we have played some video games on that. I never had video games growing up so it’s been fun to play as an adult. 
  • @gingers19 I also have Code Names and Disney Code Names. Pretty fun little party game. 

We have a board game group. We used to get together with them every week, but not so much lately due to DS being a handful and general pregnancy stuff. They still get together when we can’t make it.  We play what I call nerdy games (Catan and Pandemic are probably the most well known games we’ve played), but occasionally have a party game night (Cards Against Humanity, Telestrations, Love Letter, Avalon). I like the hidden identity games and the cooperative games. My favorites are Battlestar Gallactica and Dead of Winter. DH likes more complicated games. His favorite is Twilight Imperium. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Loading the player...
  • @mercury94 we have board game nights occasionally with friends.  I own Dead of Winter and Pandemic. My friend actually just bought me Terraforming Mars for Christmas and it was really fun once we figured out how to play. (Thank god for youtube play videos). I used to play Catan with my family all the time but haven't played it since my dad passed away because it just feels a bit too raw still. 
    @gingers19 DH and I used to get each other board games for our anniversaries but since we found out about baby we've been trying to save our money more so this year we didn't do that. Love board games though!

I love board games and I can't wait until our children get old enough for us to have family game nights. I also enjoy Spades and card games. Video game wise I'm a huge fan of the old school Pokemon games and I really love Dragon Age Origins and Harvest Moon. I've been wanting to play Animal Farm but I'm worried it's too addicting. I also have a Nintendo 64 and love the older games like Mario 64, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, and Star Fox to name a few. :)
  • mercury94mercury94 member
    edited December 2019
    @littleredm We used to have Terraforming Mars. It’s a pretty good game. DH traded it to his friend for Battlestar Galactica. I think we got the better end of the deal because Battlestar is out of print and really expensive to buy now. Plus, we can still play Terraforming Mars with the friend (who usually hosts our game group anyway).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • I'm a big fan of board games. Always liked traditional board games like Monopoly, but DH has introduced me to more games. Cards Against Humanity is always a good one. We actually had guests at our wedding fill out blank cards. DH has gotten me into the Ticket to Ride games. Love them and we own them all! Just got DH the Germany version for Christmas!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also a board games fan and I really like going to board game cafes in town for double date nights. Growing up we always used to play an old board game called  Riddle of the Ring, based on the Tolkien books, after Christmas dinner. You could either play as a hobbit or one of the dark riders, so you work in teams. My brother prided himself on the tactics you could use but I had a winning streak for a few years even though I was the youngest.

I used to play cards a lot at my grandma's but I've forgotten the rules for a lot of those games. 

@Kathryn0903 I love Ticket to Ride!