May 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Rocking chairs, gliders, recliners

Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on threads like these throughout your time at the board, not just when they're in their week in the spotlight, if you discover something new OR are new to the board. This week it's.... Rocking chairs, gliders, recliners!

FTMs are encouraged to ask questions & STM/+s encouraged to share their knowledge based on experience. You can use any or all the prompts relevant to you below to share info in an easy-to-read format. Pictures/screen grabs, if put in spoilers, are welcome!

For S+TMs: 

• Any specifics that may differentiate your preferences (height, home size, multiples, etc.):
  • Favorite [glider/rocking chair]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [glider/rocking chair] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [glider/rocking chair]?:

For FTMs

• [glider/rocking chair] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
To view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XX4aUSPsDbdyEEK5HIzMzwH2ztOVOnNCehSgMAc5w6U/edit?usp=sharing
Next up: Formula & Food stuff

TTC#1 July 2015 
  • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
  • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
TTC#2 April 2019 
  • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

Re: Product Spotlight: Rocking chairs, gliders, recliners

• Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    edited December 2019
    I'm going to start off by saying I am short (5'1") and needed to be able to sit comfortably and reach the ground for rocking. How well my feet reach the ground is a different story.

I originally had this glider and ottoman that I got from Babies R Us, which is no longer available. I think it was around $500-$600 for both the chair and the ottoman. I loved it, it was super comfortable, overall size was on the smaller size compared to some, it was easy to clean messes on the fabric. However, when DD was sick or teething she woke up a lot in the night and would really only fall asleep and stay asleep more upright on our chest. This char was not comfortable for that purpose since it just glides/rocks and does not recline. Since this was a gift from my parents, it was re-gifted to my brother for his new baby and we got an Ashley recliner for the nursery. 

This is the Ashley rocker/recliner. This one was around $350. https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/tambo-recliner/2780125.html
    It is larger than our previous chair, which it seems like all recliners sort of are. But it is super comfortable and the reclining feature is great. It is on the narrower side of recliners I tried, but we needed that for the room. Although it would be nice to have a wider one that DD could sit next to me in and thinking about the possibility of holding a baby and my 3 year old in it  :#  for story time.

For the use of the chair, when DD was younger we would bottle feed in the chair (exclusively formula fed), and like I said above hold and rock her there for night wakings. Now that she is older we use it for bedtime stories and the occasional night wakings.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    Skip alllllll the fancy nursery chairs and get a recliner. 1. They’re super comfy. 2. Multi purpose. It can be used in a different room later down the road. 3. It reclines and has a foot rest. 4. It’s not bad for sleeping when you eventually reach a leap week/bad sleep patch/teething/illness and hold the baby for hours on end. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rox7777 said:
    Skip alllllll the fancy nursery chairs and get a recliner. 1. They’re super comfy. 2. Multi purpose. It can be used in a different room later down the road. 3. It reclines and has a foot rest. 4. It’s not bad for sleeping when you eventually reach a leap week/bad sleep patch/teething/illness and hold the baby for hours on end. 
    This. I love our Lazy Boy. Plus it was $300 vs 5-600 ones at BBB. 
  • Options
    If anyone has any high end recommendations my mom is gifting me one for Christmas and said she wanted this to be her big splurge for the baby! I do like the recliner recommendation 
  • Options
    @zaslawlz We just bought ourselves a nice power recliner/rocker from La-z-boy. They have tons of styles and fabrics to choose from. I knew I wanted something that we could use in another room after the baby years and I also knew I loved recliners, my sister had one with my nephew, it was great, except I don’t like how you have to heave all your weight into the footrest to get the thing back upright. That’s how we ended up with the power function. We looked at BBB but ultimately decided that we like the quality of La-Z-boy and the fact that it’s a real company we can call if there are any issues, not just a 3rd party vendor. It was pretty pricey (over $1200 on sale) but to us it was worth it since we plan on having multiple kids and then using it in our living room later on. Also, I’ve never been a fan of the look of nursery glider/ottoman sets, so aesthetically that was a no go for me. I’m not a fancy person but I am practical and look to the overall value of a purchase. Link to the model in a color similar to what we chose.

• Options
    I don’t have room for a recliner plus I find them impossible to get in and out of without holding an infant. I saw this glider and put it on my registry:
    https://www.potterybarnkids.com/m/products/graham-glider-mb/
  • Options
    I inherited a used glider and ottoman for for DD and I HIGHLY recommend it. Breastfeeding, rocking to sleep, sitting and relaxing with baby - I lived in it for a long time and we still use it for nighttime routine. We have a super simple one like this and there are many on amazon for less than ) $120-$150: https://www.amazon.com/Windsor-Glider-Ottoman-White-Cushion/dp/B017XRDV5S/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=glider&qid=1576929099&sr=8-2. I really liked that it’s not super cushy so I didn’t feel like I was going to accidentally suffocate the baby in it or something like one of those more armchair-style glider chairs. But more comfortable than a classic wooden rocking chair (have tried one of those too, ugh). 
  • Options
    I'll preface this with we already have a couch with two built in recliners. So end of pregnancy, fresh newborn phase, sick baby phase-I have something for that already, and they lay nearly flat.

So for in nursery/our room, has gone back and forth a few times, we have a similar cheap glider to @adventuresawait1. Nothing fancy, I think it's kinda ugly, but it supports my head/neck, and has tiny side pockets for spare burp rags or whatever. Still gets plenty of use here, nursed big kid in it until almost 3, still nurse little kid and snuggle her in MOTN when she needs for a moment. I don't like night nursing chair to be out in living room, and so many of the upholstered rocking recliner things when I was first shopping stopped at my shoulder blades (why?) which would have been awful to try to nurse or pump in for first couple of weeks after my section with my first. I don't like traditional rocking chairs, I need some sort of foot rest to be able to rock due to being short, and it's way more comfortable for me to have my feet rocking with my chair. Once baby squid (this one) has grown out of night nursing and cuddles, we'll figure out if it's worth keeping, or just moving along for $25 to someone else. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Anyone have a glider/recliner recommendation that can fit me, a baby, and a toddler?  I have an old glider in the nursery that I inherited from my aunt, but I want something in DS1's room that we can all fit in for bedtime reading, etc.  I'd like it to eventually fit me and 2 toddlers on my lap.  Story time at bedtime is a big deal around here.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    @shamrocandroll We have a two seater recliner in the living room. It’s super comfy and great for piling into. You’d need a fairly large space in a bedroom for it though. We have a standard recliner in the nursery and DS2 sits on the arm when I’m in it. 
  • Options
    @shamrocandroll I’m on the lookout for a wide or two seater recliner/glider too. I haven’t found anything I really like yet though...
  • Options
    I'm thinking I should just go sit in some in an actual store.  I think 2 seater would be a bit too large, although his new room will have a lot more space.  
    **TW**
    Me: 35 | H: 40
    Married Sept. 2013
    DS1: Nov 11, 2016 <3
    MMC: 11/16/18 (9w6d)
    CP: 2/3/19 (5w3d)
    BFP!  8/24/19
    DS2: May 10, 2020 <3

• Options
    Resuscitating this thread because Pottery Barn is having a 20% off and free shipping sale right now. Does anyone have a PB glider/recliner and have anything good or bad to say about them? They're pricier than some other options (Wayfair, BuyBuyBaby), but also look nice. But I don't want to spend the money if they aren't comfortable and good quality (no in-real-life stores in my area to try them out so I just have to go by photos online).