July 2020 Moms
Options

GTKY 12/20: What's the best vacation you've ever taken?

stlbuckeye132stlbuckeye132 member
edited December 2019 in July 2020 Moms
Inspired by today's FFFC trying to get some more activity on our board, tell us your favorite vacation you've taken and what made it so amazing!

Re: GTKY 12/20: What's the best vacation you've ever taken?

• Options
    Tie between S.  France and Hawaii
    S. France it was exquisite where we were.  Saw where Monet painted and the history was amazing. Food was over the top.
    Hawaii - my Mom took us last spring break.  Swam with dolphins, ate until I could not do more, we were right on beach in AirBNB, weather was great.  Just what you imagine from holiday photos of the area.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    shaqn0sisshaqn0sis member
    edited December 2019
    @rachelredhead we went to Iceland for our honeymoon too! Which was also one of my top favorites! 

We did a 7 day trip around Iceland and it was sooo magical. We rented a car and stayed at local guest houses. Once you get into the east and north part of Iceland you really don’t see a whole lot of other ‘tourists’ but that could have changed by now. It’s hard to pinpoint a favorite spot because I just loved it all. Each corner is completely different and we experienced so many different things 

Second favorite would be my European excursion that I did way back in high school. 3 weeks; London, Paris, Lucerne (Switzerland), Venice, Florence, Rome, Pompei, Sorrento - @meanjellybean OMG this might be my favorite place ever, it was like a fake life.. lol, and Athens. 
  • Options
    Ok I think I'm regretting this topic because it's really making me want to go on an extravagant vacation which is just not in the cards right now. :lol:

@nursejenn5 I've never been on a cruise, but an Alaskan cruise is on my bucket list for sure!
  • Options
    We're still in the, I want to spend my vacation laying out in the sun and drinking, phase of our lives (maybe it's who we are and we'll always just love that most)

For the actual location, Jamaica is our favorite, hands down. We've stayed at all inclusive resorts each time we've been. But the water and beaches are both beautiful. I think what makes us love Jamaica the most is that the people are so. damn. nice. We also just listen to reggae on our own anyway so we just enjoy the vibe overall.

For the vacation itself, we had the BEST time on a cruise DH and I took with another couple back in 2015. We went out of Puerto Rico and cruised to Antigua, Barbados, St Lucia, St. Maarten, and St Kitts (or St. Croix... now I can't remember). I've known my friend since we were 5yo or so and we are both the most social people that have ever existed lol... We made so many new friends, played allll the games the activities people set up and won all the metals (they would come looking for us b/c people always participated when we were involved lol), drank all the drinks, and just had the best time. Here are some pics b/c they make me so happy and I don't care if y'all see my face lol

Winning a finish the lyrics competition... I'm telling you, we played everything from corn hole to beer pong to finish the lyrics. I HIGHLY recommend participating in the activities if you do a cruise!

DH and I at one of the ports.... look how beautiful it is!!! 

Lastly, my friend and I with one of the friends we made. We hung out with this guy and his wife/the rest of their group a ton! They were so much fun! This was pic is mid-MOTN shenanigans. All of the ship had stopped serving alcohol. We met another friend who was in one of the huge VIP suites. He had a bunch of full bottles of champs in his room so he brought those down, we all drank from the bottle like the classy people we were, found some soccer balls and went to play soccer on one of the courts they had on the ship. We also made up a ring toss game with those rings around my neck... it was hysterical. This photo isn't a good one, but it really is the essence of the trip for me. We had the best time <3 

• Options
    @blaf322 you're so cute! You actually remind me of my childhood bestie in that first pic lol
  • Options
    H and I went to Puerto Rico back when we were just dating. It was right before he had a major surgery (we dubbed it the "pre-surgery" vacation/went for that purpose) and it was just perfect. The weather was great, the landscape was gorgeous, the food was phenomenal, and it was a real laid back but also fun place to be.
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 Alaskan was wonderful! A very laid back cruise. We went panning for gold and on glacier tours. We went late September and it was rainy, my coworker suggests August or May for less rain and a bit more sun. The only time it was super cold was when we cruised into glacier bay. But it was absolutely breathtaking! 
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 aw... thanks! I had my shit together in that pic... and hadn't been drinking all night, yet :D 
  • Options
    @blaf322 Jamaica 😍 We were invited to go on a trip with lut best friends to Jamaica in February but we knew we would be ttc and hoped to be pregnant by then, so we didn't do it. Now I wish we had 😂

Your cruise pics remind me of mine. Love it! 

Ceynote snorkeling, all the activities, and drinking my @as off. 

• Options
    @modoodles you're also so cute! I'm the weirdo who won't show my face until we're in a private group.
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited December 2019
    @modoodles I feel like those long branch root things in your pic need to be swung on for sure!

For DD's BMB yearly get together in 2021, we're planning to do an international trip since we'll have been together as a group for 5yrs and I reeeeeally want to try to convince everyone to do Jamaica. I'm sure we'll end up in Mexico b/c it's more centrally located and relatively cheap... but a girl can dream lol
  • Options
    @blaf322 wait that’s so cute that you all have a yearly get together! 

This entire thread is making my itch to travel even stronger! DH has like no PTO this year / wants to take some days off after baby (thanks lol) so I don’t think it’s in the cards for 2020 other than our family vacation ugh. Hopefully 2021! 
  • Options
    @blaf322 my old bmb does get togethers too. Actually, one of those girls was in my wedding back in June! We've done camping trips and concerts, and Austin (Personal Favorite) Minneapolis, Chicago, there is an annual east coast g2g as well. We got to be very very close! 
  • Options
    So many fantastic vacations! DH and I haven’t done any of the southern all inclusive beach vacations yet, but maybe those are easier with kids.

prior to kids and pets, DH travelled international quick a bit, and I’d say my favourite so far has been to South Africa. DH was born there, so we spent a lot of time with family, but still got to experience so much while I was there! This was in 2008, so we’re due for a trip back!

for a more local experience, this summer we bought an old camper and toured around interior BC (British Columbia), for 2 weeks. 
  • Options
    @b_1029 I almost included that yearly trip as one of my best. We have the most fun and spouses join too, if they want. I'm soooo sad to miss it in 2020... it's especially hard b/c I'm both the planner and accountant for the group. So I'm doing all the stuff for it but not actually going lol... oh well! There's always 2021!
  • Options
    @coffeeandcookies84 what kind of camper?? We loved the camper life on our Iceland trip so we poke around at used campers online some. We’d love to do some of the national parks with one someday. 
  • Options
    @rachelredhead we bought a used Bigfoot. Don’t actually know if it’s a camper or a trailer 😀 since we pulled it with our truck. 

Was such a fun adventure with DS, unfortunately it was quite small and we might need to upgrade with 2 kiddos and a dog
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited December 2019
    @modoodles... tell me about where y’all stayed in Austin!

We always do Orlando bc I found a place that tailors to people on family reunion trips (so, lots of really big luxury houses in the same neighborhood with private pools and such). Plus, it’s dirt cheap (ends up coming out to around $245/room). We have lots of interest in TX but just haven’t been able to find anywhere that can accommodate a group of our size without charging a (literal) million dollars for the long weekend.
  • Options
    Oh man there are some awesome vacation ideas in here! Feeling seriously inspired.

When DH and I were first dating in college, I spent a semester abroad in Switzerland. While I experienced a lot of truly amazing things, I also struggled quite a bit. The silver lining is that it led to my anxiety diagnosis and I'm now well managed and medicated, but it was a really hard time. I had a "fall break" from classes and so did he at the same time, and it happened to coincide with my 21st birthday. He came to visit me in Geneva and then we spent a few days in Rome. We were broke and our relationship was so new, I'll never forget that trip. I'd love if we could go back to Rome someday! 
  • Options
    @blaf322 we did an airbnb, this was a (2017 trip,) and it ended up being super cheap as well for like 10-12 of us that went? We ended up ordering a bunch of food to the house and went out downtown one night, rented a private room for karaoke and then went to a silent disco. Brunch tacos and so much vodka. Best trip ever! We were supposed to go to a natural pool there as well, but it was a little chilly/windy that day and since it is spring fed we all passed on that. One of the girls lives in Austin and she booked the place, but I can reach out and see if she remembers where we were.
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited December 2019
    @modoodles I’ll look on Airbnb for the area and see what I can find. If i don’t see anything like that, I’ll have you check with her. Thanks!
    The issue I’ve had is that we need 20+ rooms for 30+ people each year with so I find airbnb’s that are like, “sleeps 50... 2 bedrooms, 1 bath” 😂 Obviously that doesn’t work... especially with spouses coming
  • Options
    So many amazing sounding trips in here! I’m jealous! I haven’t done as much traveling as I’d like to yet. We had grand plans to do a big trip to England/Ireland as a last hoorah before having kids, and then I got pregnant sooner than planned. We’ll make it there one day! 
    My best trip so far was likely our destination wedding in Montego Bay. We spent 10 days there total, including wedding and honeymoon time. First few days were with family and friends at our wedding resort and then we spent the remainder of our time at another resort (Secrets Wild Orchid was AMAZING) to have some downtime. 
  • Options
    @blaf322 I’m only an hour from Austin so I can hook you up with all sorts of recommendations if you need them.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    Personal favorite was a 3 weeks trip through Southeast Asia. Singapore, Thailand, Myanmar, and Malaysia. It was a very interesting experience as Myanmar is only open 10% for tourists but it is a very poor and third world country. I absolutely adored Malaysia and would totally go back in a heartbeat.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    Wow you all have taken some amazing trips! My dad took my siblings and I to Hawaii a couple times when we were kids and it was awesome. I would say those trips were the best, but I was definitely too young to really fully appreciate it. He also took us to some other cool places in the US. However, he never took us abroad, aside from some trips to the Bahamas. He always told us he did all his international traveling before we were born and now he was done with all that. I really wanted to visit Europe and still to this day I haven’t had the opportunity. I know I will get there some day and definitely want to take my kids. 

And by the way, when I turned 16 my dad bought a second home in Florida where he plans to retire some day, and since then, he never took us anywhere aside from Florida ever again lol. 

My H and I honeymooned in St Lucia and I plan to go back there someday. It is a really beautiful island with amazing people. 

H and I talked about possibly doing a baby moon in the spring and now that it looks like Zika isn’t a huge concern anymore, I was thinking maybe Jamaica or Bahamas. Just to stay relatively close and make it an easy/relaxing trip. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 (genuinely asking here) is Zika not a huge concern anymore? Or has the hysteria over it just died down? 

They still asked about travel travel abroad at my RE when we first got started but just kinda asked if I got bit by anything and didn’t make a big fuss when I told them we were in Mexico this spring.... so I’m not sure what the answer is 
  • Options
    @blaf322 according to the cdc website there aren’t any active breakouts right now....they recommend exercising caution in areas with past breakouts, but if you look at their map that basically includes most of the US too. I would discuss it with my midwife first before deciding but it seems like it’s not a huge concern anymore. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 well that’s exciting! We usually try to do one international trip a year with just the two of us but didn’t feel like we could with DD bc we were still in the throes of the outbreak. I’m not saying we will this time... but worth looking into!
  • Options
    @kc0711 I've always heard such great things about Australia but I'm a little nervous to go! I have an irrational fear of sharks, so there's zero way I'd go in the water. And then all the giant bugs over there seem terrifying. I just feel like everything in Australia is trying to kill you and I'm too chicken shit to go lol
  • Options
    @blaf322 we definitely swam! But only at the beaches that were supervised by life guards. Honestly the scariest thing we encountered were the magpies, they are stupid birds that divebomb you. I am irrationally afraid of birds, so that may have been part of it. We didn’t run into any other interesting wildlife when we were there! It is such a beautiful country, definitely worth it in my book  ;)