August 2020 Moms
Options

Product Spolight: Reading Materials

ziggymama06ziggymama06 member
edited December 2019 in August 2020 Moms
What are you currently reading (or have read in the past) that you find useful on this journey?  Any books, apps, articles, videos, etc. are welcome!  Also, any materials that your partners have read and found helpful?  

Me: 33  DH: 36
Dating 4/2008
Married 6/2016
TTC #1  9/2019
BFP 12/13/2019!
EDD 8/27/2020 Baby Girl  <3

Re: Product Spolight: Reading Materials

• Options
    This is my first pregnancy and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I figure I can't be the only one!!  Anyone found anything really helpful?  Much appreciated!   <3
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I will dive back into my birthing books once the first tri scaries are past. 

I’ve read Guide To Childbirth before but will be adding a Bradley method book, as well. 

Hoping and praying for my third unmedicated delivery. 
  • Options
    @tyrion_ I'm hoping to go unmedicated as well.  Just made my first appointment for three weeks from today (yay!).  I've heard of the Bradley method but don't know much on it, yet.  Thanks!  Fx for another unmedicated for you!!!
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • Options
    @gladmamma Those sound interesting.. I just ordered the Expecting 411!   <3
    Dating 4/2008
    Married 6/2016
    TTC #1  9/2019
    BFP 12/13/2019!
  • Options
    @starlight_7 I'm also loving this app! I'm avoiding books right now... I'm too paranoid about another loss, I just can't seem to find the excitement to read much until at least the 1st ultrasound comes back clear!
  • Options
    Apps - never used 'em. My period tracker keeps track of my due date and week counter, and that's all I care about. 

Books:

Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. First half - 2 stars. Second half - 5 stars. The first part is birth stories, and it's extremely, EXTREMELY hippy and woo woo. Laboring in a tree and being connected to the earth, and having a hard time dealing with it so another woman who already had a baby a day prior lays next to the laboring woman, both nearly nude, bodies touching and having contractions in sync. If that's your thing, great, and you'll like it. It is decidedly not mine, despite the fact I'm a no intervention, out-of-hospital birther. The second half is good and about actually having a baby. 

The Birth Partner. I didn't read most of it. I read the relevant parts aloud to my husband because he's not a huge reader. I liked how for each phase of birth, they went through what's happening, what the doctor/nurse/midwife will be doing, how the person giving birth may be feeling, and what you (the birth partner) can do to help. I think it could be very helpful, although I don't know how much my husband remembered from it. 

What to Expect. It's fine. It gets deserved criticism for dwelling on what can go wrong. I read it once, but I don't really feel that I learned that much from it. 

Active Birth. It was ok. Don't read if you don't want to see lots and lots of pictures of fully nude woman giving birth. I wish the author had left them out. It was interesting to review. Definitely solidified my desire to be upright with this birth (I was on the stool with my first first and more reclined with my second). However, some of the information regarding excercises I think is out of date. 
  • Options
    Expecting Better is great, science-backed information. I found it super informative, although my friend is an addiction researcher and was really alarmed by how liberal it’s recommendations about alcohol were. Personally, I abstained from alcohol my last pregnancy (and this one), but I appreciated the book’s balanced approach to discussing the risks. 

I also found The Science of Mom really informative about early newborn care. 
  • Options
    Another vote for Expecting Better! The author is an economist and I am an economist-in-training so I am probably slightly biased 😂 But I like how she provides research and lists some pros/cons so ultimately you can weigh and make your own decision. She also recently released a parenting book but obviously haven't looked into that yet...

This isn't reading material, but I love the podcast The Birth Hour. I feel like I have learned so much about the process from listening to the stories. 
  • Options
    For anyone searching for something to help with spiritual growth through pregnancy, I have so been enjoying “Labor With Hope” by Gloria Furman. 
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17