August 2020 Moms

STM+ discussion - December

Discuss all things related to your “big” kids here! We can start a new thread monthly unless things get lively and we want to change to weekly. 

Re: STM+ discussion - December

• When are you planning to explain to them that there’s a baby coming? Anything special you are doing to tell them? 
  • Loading the player...
  • With dd I didn’t really show until 4-5 months. I’m now 5 weeks and my belly is already huge. Sadly, I think it’s about 90% food baby and only 10% uterus expansion. 
  • We also plan to wait a bit. My first appt is Jan 10 with an ultrasound. We haven’t decided when officially. She’s 4 and a blabber mouth. 
    Craft Blog
  • We're planning on telling my parents when they come for Christmas and I'll probably have my son in some kind of big brother shirt (he'll be 3 in March).  So we'll likely tell him right before then.  I actually don't think he'd spill the beans but I'd like to wait a bit longer just to make sure things are okay.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We texted our parents the news haha. No other way to tell them without my 3 year old figuring it out and we won't tell him until I'm showing probably (so like 19 weeks probably) 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @jwhite3116
    😂 
    my boys want a sister also. I’m going to have to ask them what they want to name her 😂
    Baby Boy 3 is on the way! 
    Due 1/21/17
  • jwhite3116jwhite3116 member
    edited December 2019
    My mom and sister know because I would need them to be there for me if something happens. I'll tell my other sister and my brother on Christmas Eve. My husband's family won't know until 12 weeks as my husband isn't as close with his family.

All the teachers I work with upstairs know because I'm so off right now. They just badgered me until I finally gave in.
  • My son will be 1 in January so I could tell him and my secret would be safe! :) 
  • We told ours (5 and 3). They’ve told everyone. It’s mostly OK because the only people I really don’t want to know yet is work and they are never around my colleagues. 

BFP #1 November 28, 2013 E Born August 3, 2014
  • We are not telling my kid until we are at least three months along. She's been asking for a sibling for years and will tell the world. 
    I have no idea how I am going to get through the holidays this year because this is our first one with all of our family coming to the house and it might be really obvious if I am not drinking. I might try a "I have a cold" thing to try to bypass questions. 

***TW** in spoiler

Only my mom and DH parents know about the 2 MC so I want to avoid questions from my MIL which might lead to more people knowing. I mean, my MC aren't a secret but they are personal and heartbreaking to me and not something I want to have relive and explain over and over.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMe: 40  H: 38

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

BFP 1/5/2018, MC (D & E) 2/23/2018

TTCAL May 2018

BFP 9/20/2018, MC (D & E) 11/16/2018 :'(

• @radiohd18 you can drink cranberry juice and say that you are having cranberry and vodka.
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019

• @blackgirlmagic that's a great idea but now I have to out and buy vodka, in case someone else wants one! 
     :D  
    haha

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• @radiohd18 or you could just buy cranberry no vodka and say you are drinking it due to a uti from all the kinky sex you’ve been having lately 😆 
  • @roo_baby yes, totally!
    "merry christmas, don't mind me and my UTI."
     :p 

I actually did this during my first pregnancy at a wedding... just switched off between Cranberry/Vodka and Jack/Coke. 

***TW***

****trigger warning****

1 LC, girl 5 years old

TTC #2 Summer 2017

TTCAL May 2018

• Anyone having the same potential challenge I do? 

I’m due 8/8 and my son starts kindergarten 8/10 😬

I’ve tried to keep myself in check because I know anything can happen between now and then but I keep thinking about this. And I’m a tiny bit stressed. 
  • @tyrion_ My not-yet 3 yo starts preschool within about a week of my due date. Plus we will need to move her out of the crib around that time so the baby can use it. I'm definitely worried about all of that transition at once. She's a resilient kid, but it's a lot. 
  • @roo_baby I’d move her before and give her plenty of time to adjust beforehand. 

I should have mentioned I’ve gone into to labor at 40+1 with both my kids 😬 praying this one is a little early or a few days late. I have faith it’ll work out. 
  • @tyrion_ That would be stressful! I would tell the teacher so that he or she can be understanding if your little one is anxious or maybe you can bring him in to see his class a little early if they will let you! 
  • @roo_baby When I needed the crib for my daughter my then 2.5 year old was not ready to transition at all so I ended up putting my daughter in his room in a pack and play for about a month until he was ready and then we made the switch to a big boy bed for him and the crib for her. It worked out just fine, plus it helped not to have two big changes at once (sharing a room + moving to big bed) So we just eased them into it and everything went pretty smoothly!
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • @riatortillaxo I’ll definitely be reaching out to the teacher. I’m just also selfishly sad I might miss it.  
  • We did not switch beds right away when #2 was born, but when we did, it was extremely easy. We hyped up that she was getting too big for the bed, and that after we moved, she would get a new bed, and baby sister would use her bed. So for a couple weeks before we got it, she constantly was asking about her "new bed." (She was almost 2.5.) Every night she'd talk about it as she was going to bed. For a few days in our new house, she was on the floor in a sleeping bag while baby sister was in her bed, nbd. And then we got it and she was so excited. Doesn't care at all. 
  • @roo_baby You also start the process slowly. Start by transitioning nap time to the new bed. It worked wonders for us and it made the transition seemless.
  • Ours will nap on her floorbed in her room, but still sleeps overnight with us in the sidecar mini crib.  Hoping to upgrade the mini floorbed soon to a normal crib mattress size, so we can work on sleeping more independently.  At this rate we may not ever remove the sidecar, so long as big sister is happy sleeping in her room before new baby gets here.  Time will tell what ends up happening about the true toddler bed situation... If it comes to it to make her more excited about being in there on her own, that would be great!

For now I'm not planning on doing a separate nursery.  DDs room is adjacent to ours, has the whole nice long changing dresser and whatnot.  Hoping to add a little storage with a small dresser and toddler clothes rack, and that somehow there will still be enough room to keep the rocker in there. :/
  • Right now we live in a bed room townhouse. We are hoping to move a year from now. My husband said that this baby and our then four yo can share a room and I told him no. Not till this baby is sleeping through the night. Why would I ever want to distribute her sleep because you don’t want to share the room with the baby. Plus our first slept in her pnp for three months until I went back to work. 
    Married: August 2012
    TTC #1: July 2015
    BFP 1: October 30, 2015; EDD: July 6, 2016- Team Pink
    TTC #2: September 2019