Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

8 month old opening and closing hands

sjerezsjerez member
edited October 2022 in Babies: 6 - 9 Months
hey!!!
so my 8 month old is constantly opening and closing his right hand. At first it was cute but now I’m just starting to worry about the repetitive behavior. Has any one experienced this with their lo?

Re: 8 month old opening and closing hands

• Options
    sjerez said:
    hey!!!
    so my 8 month old is constantly opening and closing his right hand. At first it was cute but now I’m just starting to worry about the repetitive behavior. Has any one experienced this with their lo?
    Babies are discovering how their bodies work all the time and once they discover something new they like to practice it. Is there a specific concern you have?

FWIW my baby discovered her voice and how to blow raspberries and is screeching at the top of her lungs and making fart noises all day it feels. It’s just entertaining to them.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    Did your baby attend daycare? Is it possible somebody has taught him sign language? He could be signing for milk. Just a thought.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My little girl does this all the time. She also closes her fists and circles her wrists. We call it her motorcycle hands lol I think she just finds the motion fun plus we make revving sounds which she just belly laughs at. I agree , I think they are just learning how their bodies move and are just fascinated.  
  • Options
    My daughter is 7 months & started doing this recently.  Today she waved at some people on the Zoom. So sit tight. She may be doing more soon. She's in daycare
  • Options
    My son is 7 months old and he’s been doing the same for about a month. He always twirled his feet and now the constant opening and closing of his fist has me worried as well. I’m glad to know he’s not the only one and hoping it’s just experimental. He’s home with me and has a nanny two days a week. So he hasn’t learned from other children.