2nd Trimester

Tightness of the abdomen

Just wondering if anyone else experienced or is experiencing this, since I couldn’t find anything about it here or online. So I’m 23 weeks pregnant and I’ve been having tightness on my upper abdominal area, it’s located in the middle of the upper left and right quadrants.  And it’s just a tightness, I noticed it’s not constant and there’s no pain with it.  Just a tightness of the muscles in that area.  People describe Braxton-Hicks as menstrual cramps but this doesn’t feel like that and it’s not my uterus that feels tight.  It’s the muscles of my upper abdomen.  I did feel some cramps today with it, I’m a little worried about it but I have a feeling it’s normal. Anyone has felt this also? Does anyone have an idea of what it can be? She’s been very active today too in there.  

Re: Tightness of the abdomen

• It’s Braxton Hicks. I’m on my second pregnancy and mine have never felt like menstrual cramps. It just feels like my abs are flexing tight. No pain.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would say real contractions start out feeling like menstrual cramps, but what you’re describing is most likely BH. Sometimes they can be uncomfortable, but generally just annoying and not painful.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Sounds like BH for sure except the part about it being not your uterus?