July 2020 Moms

UO Thursday

Put your unpopular opinions here!

Re: UO Thursday

• Well, since this meme started it.... pineapple absolutely does NOT belong on pizza, and my UO is that I don't like pineapple in general. (So that influences my feelings about it on pizza.)
  • Loading the player...
  • @stlbuckeye132 I love pineapple... but, you're right. It does not belong on pizza. It's a pizza travesty.
  • holy hell @blaf322, that outfit hurts my eyes!! 
  • @blaf322 YES I HATE THOSE OUTFITS TOO! I cringe every time I see them. #sorrynotsorry

(Also, I don't even know what "jon jons" are... off to google!)
  • @stlbuckeye132 here you go... an entire site dedicated to jon-jons.
    https://www.dressiejessiesmocking.com/collections/shortalls-and-longalls

Y'all, this is, like, years of pent up UO on this topic b/c one of the girls on DD's BMB loooooves jon-jons. She knows they're not everyone's cup of tea but I still refuse to admit I don't love them because I love her lol
  • @blaf322 I don’t hate those. But I don’t see why I’d have more than one? They look very Royal Family to me. 
  • @blaf322 I'm from the south and not a fan of those outfits.  I agree they are all the rage. 

For me, bows larger than the child's head I cannot stand.  I just envision the poor baby suffocating from her own bow.

I recognize jon-jons didn't realize they were called that.  Eh, wouldn't be my thing.

• b_1029b_1029 member
    edited November 2019
    @blaf322 YES I am a south (ish- if you consider Kentucky the south but I’m from the “north” of IL) transplant and I HATE those outfits. Or all the stitched personalized outfits just in case the kid forgets their name haha

eta I just looked at your link for Jon jons and that’s 100% what I had in mind with the “stitched personalized outfits” above
  • +1 for no giant bows or jon jons now that I know what they are.

• Those jon jons are the worst. And, ok, I like SOME big bows, but they have to be the 'right' bow. Not bigger than the kid's head and positioned poorly. 

I think this is adorable. 

• @modoodles that one is ok in my book. This one is not.

• @modoodles that’s not what I consider a big bow. Big bows are more like these 

• @stlbuckeye132 I don't TOTALLY hate that either. It's a little big for my preference. But my eyes aren't burning when I look at that one lol
  • @blaf322 agreed, there are definitely more offensive bows than what I posted. Like that monstrosity you just posted 😂🤮
  • 😂😂 @blaf322 that's so awful. My stepsister makes monstrosities like that. 

@stlbuckeye132 yeah, I hate the position of the bow like that. And it's a little big for my taste too. 
  • I'd save this for next week but there's a 0% chance I'll remember..... cold weather does not make you sick and I CANNOT STAND when people imply that it does.

This brought to you by my coworker who told me I should take some Advil to stop myself from catching the cold I feel coming on.  :| She thinks medications like that fix colds... she probably thinks the cold makes you sick too lol
  • I have zero interest in the Disney+ app. We dont do any streaming services, and probably won't. We dont have cable or dish or anything either. The only show I love is Grey's Anatomy, and sometimes I do use watch it online a week late. 
  • blaf322blaf322 member
    edited November 2019
    @modoodles so it sounds like y'all are mostly screen free. Is that correct?

Impressive... My kid isn't a screen zombie...she watches TV while she eats breakfast and I get ready but only gets a tablet on long car trips (so, once a year or so)... but we are far from a screen free family since DH and I usually watch at night.
  • @blaf322 you mean you've never heard of the preventative advil to keep colds away?! :joy:

@modoodles I also don't understand the big Disney+ craze. We have Hulu, but our only TV is in our basement so we've basically stopped watching TV since moving to this house. It's sort of nice!
  • @stlbuckeye132 I'll tell you about the Disney+ craze.... All these crazy parents ::cough:: me ::cough:: were hoping to watch Disney classics with their young children and see the excitement in their eyes over movies they loved as a child..... only to have those dreams dashed after 15 mins into Alice in Wonderland because said kid asks if we can watch Frozen... that you already own.... for the 13822947 time  :|
    Also, we got it for free through Verizon :smile:
  • @blaf322 hahaha we are FAR from screen free! The kids are fairly addicted to their tablets/my daughter is addicted to her laptop. I dont have any video game stats or anything here, but they play a LOT at their dad's house too. 

I hate their tablets with a fiery passion. 
  • @modoodles Ah, gotcha!
    I hate the tablet too...it caused behavior issues early on for us so we completely took it (she was young enough that things were out of sight, out of mind) and only bring it out for trips. Fortunately, that seems to work for now. We haven't introduced games and she believes that the battery can die on anything at any time (read: I turn it off and lie through my teeth  :D ) so that helps, I'm sure. 
  • My UO is professional sports are very boring to watch or listen to someone talk about. Football, baseball, basketball... couldn't care any less. Where I live, people are really into the Boston vs. New York rivalry and I. do. not. care.  

@blaf322 I'm also annoyed when people blame getting a cold (virus!) on the weather. Have we not learned anything since the 1800s? Also, people think Daylight Savings Time has this like massive effect that last for days or weeks. It's an hour. If you know it's going to affect you, go to bed an hour earlier.
  • @dancingtreepose I have opinions about when people are talking about how their kids' sleep is off WEEKS after DST.... but DD was/is and amazing sleeper and I'm afraid if I unleash my opinion, the sleep gods will not let me live it down and this LO will be a garbage sleeper  :D So, I will keep my mouth shut until after I see if Moms On Call works for this little guy too haha

• UO - Thanksgiving turkey is the worst part about Thanksgiving/is usually relatively gross. It's all about the sides and apps!
  • @pocketrose I love turkey but I LOATHE green bean casserole. My siblings love it and I do not understand the affection for it. Goopy grossness. 
  • @blaf322 I grew up in the south. Yup, those giant bows, smocked dresses, matchy matchy outfits, all of it awful. 

And the weather causing colds, ugh 🙄, my dad always used to say that to us growing up "Put on a coat it's cold out, you'll get sick!". That's not how colds work, dad!

If we're talking baby stuff I can't stand the trend of those wooden letter boards mom's during pregnancy and for baby milestones. It was cute for minute, but now it's too much.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @rachelredhead I'm just hopefully food will still be good then, I'll be halfway through week 7 which given my lurking in the June BMB seems to be when potentially bad things start...
  • blaf322 said: se
    @dancingtreepose I have opinions about when people are talking about how their kids' sleep is off WEEKS after DST.... 
    @blaf322 My 16m old son literally wakes up 1 hour earlier EVERY day since DST, despite no changes to nap or bedtime.
    I realize it sounds absurd; but the struggle is real over here!
  • @pocketrose me too, I’ll be midway through week 7 (or right around 7 since I ovulated later)  and I’m kinda dreading an increase in nausea. I’m sucking on a ginger candy (TummyDrops are my fave) right now and the thought of Thanksgiving is completely unappealing. I’m always in charge of baking all the bread. This year I may just make one loaf purely for me. Carbs sound palatable, at least! 
  • @pretzellover waking up an hour early is the only part I can understand, actually. Some kids just have strong internal clocks for waking. The folks that say their sleep is totally thrown off (like multiple wakes and such)... I just can't get on board with that.

• @pocketrose saaaame.... If anything sounds good then, I'll be happy. That said, totally agreed about your UO. Turkey is garbage compared to everything else!