June 2020 Moms

Product Spotlight - strollers

Questions and comment

Re: Product Spotlight - strollers

• runwmusicrunwmusic member
    edited November 2019
    I went with the baby trend expedition jogger and have no regrets. It was just around 100 and is great for runs and walks from the house. It does take up a lot of space for traveling but we don't travel much at all. Link in spoiler 
    Of you get a jogger make sure the front wheel locks! 

For a car seat snap in stroller I got the Graco frame. This was wonderful for when the baby was still in the car seat. Super light weight and cheap. Link in spoiler but I got it for like 50 so shop around.

Any advice for doubles? I'm leaning towards the baby trend sit and stand but maybe the Graco ready to grow. Ugh no clue what we'll end up with. 

Frame snap in :

Graco SnugRider Elite Infant Car Seat Frame Stroller, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UVW3WHK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yHwYDbQ5V3H0Z

jogger :

Baby Trend Expedition Jogger Stroller, Phantom, 50 Pounds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZP3E8A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8IwYDbCZNP4ET

• I have a bugaboo cameleon3 but it’s a bit big for my new flat so still deciding if we’ll 100% use it. It’s great for cities though. As we don’t have a car I got a nice stroller as we’d use it constantly. It’s a super smooth push, comfortable and so durable but ALL THE MONEY.  If I use it for baby number two i will replace the basket so it’s the new much better style.

If you travel a lot I really recommend the baby jogger city tour. The newer model can be used with newborns too. It’s SUPER light weight and folds into a carry on bag sized backpack. It was our travel stroller and i loved it. That being said it died after 2 years after being thrown around the world and taken to daycare every day. I do think it’s a great cheaper alternative to people considering the babyzen yo-yo though!! We will def be getting a new one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Stroller is the one thing we kinda splurged on. Let me preface with we don't do infant bucket/snap and go car seats, so that's not at all a consideration here.

I cannot say enough good about our Phil and Ted stroller. It's the Dot, but there are several MODULAR model options where you can add a rumble seat directly over rear axle in order to keep it super narrow and still turning well. Some strollers where you can add a seat are just a bench for bigger kid, or a skate board-which makes pushing stroller super hard if you aren't tall. OR they add the second seat on front, which like putting a bunch of kitty litter in very front of a shopping cart and then the darn thing won't turn. We especially liked Phil and Ted as they have great seat options that even lay totally flat for newborns and some can turn into or be used as a removable bassinet, and some models are larger tires, three wheel options that can used used as joggers too. Disclaimer-we ran a bunch with 1 kid in this stroller, but did pick up a used double jogger to run with two kids. 

If I just needed a simple double (or even triple or quad) I have a bunch of friends with the Zoe brand, also a modular stroller, so it fully converts from single to double and back, and you can pick a tandem or side by side configuration. If we randomly ended up with a pile of money, making it reasonable to buy another stroller, I would do their triple option. It doesn't jog, but it's  lighter than our double jogger, and switches to double easily. Our single (with rumble seat) still gets a lot of use now with 1 and 3 year old. I'm hoping next year the then 4 year old will walk more, and baby will be worn a bunch this coming summer. So triple is probably overkill, as the following year our oldest will be 5, and not riding in stroller hopefully at all.

Either way, if you're thinking to have second kid within 3 or less years of first kid, having an expandable option is really a nice idea. Our Phil and Ted is 3.5 years old, and I fully expect another 4-5 years of service out of it. Even our double should have 2-3 more years use. 
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are looking at the graco modes2grow and uno2duo. We are going to start trying for #3 much earlier than we did #2 so hoping to find something I can use with 2 kiddo.  Also one of them (dont remember which) has a standing board that would be good for DS now. 
  • We have a Zoe and for travel, it’s wonderful. Lightweight and I can fold it with one hand. 

We have a Chico bravo with the infant car seat snap thing and I used it all the time. Love it.

also have a graco jogger, use that all the time too. Super bulky though so would not recommend for travel. 

I’m thinking of going the city mini route for a double. Idk. 
  • We have a City Select by Baby Jogger. $$$ but we got it on deep discount due to a model change year and discontinued color and some serious deal watching. The push and steering are so smooth. I can steer with one hand! It holds up really well with my neighborhood's disastrous pavement. But it's huge when folded and I have to take the seat off to fit it in the car ( we have an Outback ). I'm looking for a second seat kit for it at the moment. It bugs me a lot that the seats won't match but I'm trying to get over it. :) 

We got a much lighter/smaller/cheaper umbrella stroller for flying with. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @chaos-and-coffee Have you considered getting an attachment for your Zoe to make it a double? 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail the Zoe that I haven’t doesn’t fit with the attachment :( 
  • @pourmeanothermocktail the Zoe that I haven’t doesn’t fit with the attachment :( 
    Neither of them? That is sad sauce. 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @pourmeanothermocktail I don’t think so, but I will have to double check! 
  • We are both runners and splurged on the Thule Urban Glide.  I’ve LOVED it for running, and it lives up to its name gliding over rough terrain.  It was going to be our only stroller (when we were out we either put her bucket seat in the shopping cart or I did baby wearing) but we had a family emergency and I had to travel by myself with a car seat and bought a cheap small, lightweight stroller on Amazon for around $70.  Anyway, I got all of the accessories (car seat attachment, mosquito net, rain shield) and even living in both rainy and warm/buggy environments, we haven’t used a single one of those.  If you get it, it qualifies for the 20% off single item at Bed Bath and Beyond.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• @virginiaham I've used the mosquito net a few times. The ticks were awful this year and I found 2 on ds after a walk once. Luckily on his clothes but after that the net was always on if we were in anything nature like. 
  • runwmusic said:
    @virginiaham I've used the mosquito net a few times. The ticks were awful this year and I found 2 on ds after a walk once. Luckily on his clothes but after that the net was always on if we were in anything nature like. 
    😖 So I haven’t USED it...but I’m definitely keeping it around for such an occasion as that!
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• So despite all the advice we received when stroller shopping for baby #1, we did not get expandable options. We weren’t sure if we would be able to have a second baby (we knew we wanted one) and having something light and maneuverable was a very high priority. (Also something that could stand up to our cobblestone streets.)

We tried out just about every stroller at the two big box baby stores to see what we liked. splurged on the Uppababy Cruz, which I LOVE. It moves really smoothly, it has a gigantic lower basket while still being small and narrow enough to fit in tight spots, it folds up well, it offers lots of configurations, etc., plus it’s very pretty. 😊 We were able to use it with an infant seat as well. We also got the BabyJogger City Tour as our travel stroller, and it is perfect for that. 

I feel super guilty about now needing to buy another stroller (a double) but I think we probably have to. Does anyone have opinions on whether tandem or side by side options have worked better for you, and what’s easier to push? 
  • @FigTreeMama if you want to go through a doorway I wouldn't go side by side. I'm looking for something with the older kid near me and baby in front. If the heavy kid if in front it is much harder to push because of the weight distribution. 
  • runwmusic said:
    @FigTreeMama if you want to go through a doorway I wouldn't go side by side. I'm looking for something with the older kid near me and baby in front. If the heavy kid if in front it is much harder to push because of the weight distribution. 
    All of this!!!! Our strollers generally don't get used inside, so side by side is OK for us usually. I like the tandem though for ease in pushing and when I know big kid will be in and out a lot.
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • So many suggestions... Okay I'm kind of klutzy so would prefer something simple. Super bonus if it can go from newborns to toddlers. But the biggest thing is it needs to be easy to travel in the car with and get around. I go stir crazy in my house after a few days, so I am anticipating I will be making trips to the farm, horse shows, family outings, races, etc and don't want to have to worry about the stroller.  Go with suggestions. 
    Me 29 DH 33
    Married 10/2016
    TTC since 04/2019
    BFP 10/12/2019, estimated 6 weeks
    EDD 06/07/2020
  • We used the Graco modes travel system when DS was born. I LOVE it, used it again with DD and will absolutely use it again for this baby.  It's pretty lightweight, has a ton of options for how baby can sit, and has SO MUCH STORAGE underneath! I literally have 5 strollers and this one is by far our favorite! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• So many suggestions... Okay I'm kind of klutzy so would prefer something simple. Super bonus if it can go from newborns to toddlers. But the biggest thing is it needs to be easy to travel in the car with and get around. I go stir crazy in my house after a few days, so I am anticipating I will be making trips to the farm, horse shows, family outings, races, etc and don't want to have to worry about the stroller.  Go with suggestions. 
    If you can give idea of budget, I'm sure several moms can suggest options. If you want to share of course. I still love Tim Phil and Ted.

To note-if you're looking for barn, races, etc, I super highly recommend saying attention to wheels and getting one with at LEAST 6", but really 9"+ tires/wheels. I also prefer the never flat type, but really that's a personal preference. But strollers with the set of like 3.5" doubled wheels up front just don't do dirt or gravel or grass well! Our Baby Jogger Navigator is a double, but tiny make a similar that is a single with great all terrain big wheels. Our Phil and Ted Dot expands to two kids easily, and still turns great with two, and also has decent size tires for light trail type use (think still limestone or well packed gravel, no stroller is truly off-road capable like your horse!). 
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @pourmeanothermocktail!

Ideally I'd like to be under $300. If it is something that will last me years and do everything I want a could see spending a little more.
    Me 29 DH 33
    Married 10/2016
    TTC since 04/2019
    BFP 10/12/2019, estimated 6 weeks
    EDD 06/07/2020
  • @horsesmeetbaby (and everyone!) I highly recommend checking out Lucie's List just for info on everything. You will likely want to check out the economy swivel wheel (which will lock) jogging strollers. https://www.lucieslist.com/gear-guides/jogging-strollers/
    Team green turned BLUE!
    Team green turned PINK!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • One thing I would say is to try to plan your car seat and stroller together. Having one that the infant seat can connect to got me in and out of stores sometimes with a sleeping baby. If you have cold winters, it’s also nice to be able to keep them snug in one seat instead of pulling them out. You’ll also want to be sure that whatever you choose, you have a way of using it from birth, if that’s using a bassinet option or the car seat or a converter piece.

We have the Uppababy Vista and a Thule Urban Glide.

I hemmed and hawed of the Vista until a couple months after DS was born. Should have just bought it in the beginning. 🤦‍♀️ We have the Uppababy Mesa car seat because at the time that was the only infant seat on the market without flame retardants. It’s really hard to find another stroller option that works with the Mesa and the options that do exist seem kind of kludgey. We also got it because we planned to have more than one kid and it’s expandable to up to 3 kids riding at a time and you stay with a regular stroller width instead of a harder to maneuver side by side. I also specifically looked for strollers with the ride on board option for when kids get older and are in that stage where they want to pop out all the time but ride some so they can hop off and on with little fuss. The large basket on the bottom also made it so that we could use it for grocery shopping when DS was little. Putting a car seat in the cart fills the whole thing up so much and the carts with car seat holders were impossible to find here then. These are, unfortunately really difficult to find on sale. There are past year model options and I used my Amazon completion discount. I’m hoping for something on a Black Friday discount to get the other pieces to expand it for two but I may end up just doing Amazon completion again. 

The Glide I was able to get on a really good Black Friday deal. H is a huge runner and is one on one with DS 2-3 days a week while I work so an option for him to continue running with DS was high on his list. This one works really well, they’re both happy with it. The one thing I hate is that taking the brake off/engaging it is loud and jostles the whole thing a ton. Chances of DS sleeping through it are approximately nil. But, it’s also a very solid brake so, depending on your terrain, that’s good. 

Having two, we have versatility and we each keep one in our cars so we always have one available. 

Both fit in the trunk of a Honda Civic or the back of an Outback with enough room for other things. Not a ton of room left over but some. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • @horsesmeetbaby I was also going to say get big wheels based on your comment.
  • We have a CitiMini GT by Baby Jogger. It works fine. Pros: It's super smooth to push and steers well, it holds up well, and the seat recline can go almost totally flat (great for naps on the go). Cons: there isn't enough storage space under the seat, it's kind of big (I'm petite), and the normal seated position is a bit too reclined for a smaller baby. Oh, and it won't easily fit through the airport security scanner.

We also picked up a cheap Circo umbrella stroller from Walmart for travel. It's handy, especially with a stubborn toddler who insists on walking even when you have  the stroller. 
  • This fan is amazing. It clips on, is rechargeable, and has good strength. Cannot recommend enough!

SkyGenius Battery Operated Clip... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PTP4DNP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
  • We love our City Mini strollers. :) We have the single and side by side double. Both are easy to push and still work great. Our single dates back to 2016, and it's still in near perfect condition.

• We got the Nuna mixx stroller and the matching pippa car seat that snaps in. It was on a sale that we didn’t want to miss. Don’t know if we got it too early. I’m 19 weeks. 
  • @spvern We got a bunch of gear for my first during prime day sales/discounts shortly after my anatomy scan. The hardest part was finding a place to store it until we were ready to use it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We just got a colugo compact to be our travel stroller and are really pleased with it! https://hicolugo.com/products/compact-stroller I recommend it to any frequent travellers. It fits in an airplane overhead bin and has a newborn attachment. They also have a larger non travel one that looks good 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • with my daughter I had a graco verb click connect and loved it and with my SON (I am too excited to say that) I plan to get a evenflo sibby travel system. I like the strollers look and it comes with a ride along board for my 4year old.