May 2020 Moms

Baby Proofing Floor Seams in Doorways

We're working on baby proofing our house for our 7 month old and as I walked from room to room, I accidentally stepped on the floor seam in the doorway in just the right way that it really hurt. I've done this before in life, I'm sure most people have. However, it had me thinking - what if our little one got her hands or knees in just the right spot as she crawls around and it hurts this much?! Does anyone know of something that can be done or put there to prevent this from happening? I'm specifically talking about the seam where the two different floorings from two different rooms meet. Most rooms have the typical metal piece that connects the two floorings and one of the bathrooms doesn't have that but the tile in the bathroom is slightly taller than the wood floor in the hallway I know this is such an odd question so I don't know if something exists or if I'm overthinking things but figured I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has done something about this. Thanks!

Re: Baby Proofing Floor Seams in Doorways

• @knottie93c2154f819ab7e8
    Welcome to the board! Check out the knottie username post and change your username to something easier for us to interact with. There is already a baby proofing your home thread where this question would have fit perfectly. One-off posts can clutter up the board. I hope you can introduce yourself in the pinned intro post at the top of the board and stick around. 

For a quick answer to your question: I think you're over thinking this one. I have the same thing in my house. The tile is almost 1/2 inch taller than the floor height. It was never an issue for my daughter. We didn't really let her crawl into the bathroom anyway. We just closed the door.
  • It’s called a reducer strip.  It’s installed where two floorings of different heights/materials meet.  They can be wood, metal, or rubber and most hardware stores should have them.  

There’s also a whole thread on baby proofing if you come up with more questions.