January 2020 Moms
Options

GTKY - The Crap People Say Edition 11/7

Tell us the inappropriate or weird things people have said to you during this pregnancy. 

Re: GTKY - The Crap People Say Edition 11/7

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window why on earth do people think it’s ok to ask how much weight you’ve gained??? 🤦🏻‍♀️

@leprechaunlady I’m glad you said something to them! You’re really taking the brunt of it! 
  • Options
    I thankfully haven't received too many weird comments, probably because I mostly look fatter and not so much pregnant. But my mother asks how much weight I've gained every time I talk to her (inappropriate but that's expected of her 😑)  and even more rude, MH's friend's wife who when found out I was pregnant at 12 weeks asked what the doctor had to say about my weight and how much I should gain 🤨 um, I'm pretty sure that's between me and my doctor woman whom I hardly know! 

And, then, of course MIL who, on her recent visit,  bombarded me with questions about how my pregnancy is going, how my doctors appts are, how much swelling I'm experiencing, whether or not I plan on breastfeeding, and several other questions about how I plan on raising my son (of course with inserts on how SHE did things) She's generally very kind and I get it's her grandkid but it was very offputting. I don't know her all that well as I've only seen her a handful of times since I even met MH as she lives in another state, so the whole 20 (very personal) questions felt very invasive but I didn't feel comfortable telling her so as she's my MIL whom I am still getting to know,  so I just answered as best I could without being snarky or giving away more information than I was comfortable with. But yea, what is it about pregnancy that makes people think your health and/or plans for baby is their business?
  • Options
    peppyj9peppyj9 member
    edited November 2019
    @leprechaunlady some of the comments you get are so beyond rude they're almost hard to believe. Honestly, what is wrong with some people? It's like they lost their internal filter and just spew whatever garbage comes to mind! I commend you for calling people out. I'd be too busy with my jaw on the floor with that kind of blatant foot in mouth syndrome. 

Edit: more to add
  • Options
    I think the worst was said ABOUT me rather than TO me. Because we aren't married, I'm going to take the baby and leave SO and there will be nothing he can do about it. And, my SO was told, well, you're stuck now. 

A guy at work told another guy that women over 35 can't get pregnant without invasive and expensive treatment. I interjected and said "The current contents of my uterus say otherwise."

But, in my LAST pregnancy tops it all, one person said how lucky I was to have it end the way it did, because I'm too old to have a baby, and think about all the stuff I'm not going to have to do anymore! And all I could think about was all the stuff I'd never get to do. 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush were is that person from your last pregnancy? Imma kick them for you.
    PG #1: 36w5d 12/25/19
    PG #2: EDD 8/15/23 Miscarried 9w1d 1/11/23
    PG #3: EDD 12/15/23
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush people have no tact 🤦🏻‍♀️
  • Options
    Now that I'm not on my phone, here are some of the more tongue-in-cheek ones:

From my OB: Now, FFR, I just need to know...was this planned or unplanned? Me: We decided to wait and see what happened. We kind of wanted one last chance. OB: Guess what! Everything still works! (and she hugs me)

BFF: Yay! You've almost caught up with me! You still have to have one more! 

My mom: What?! OMG OMG OMG OMG! (You'd think this was her first grandchild not her 8th.)

From the NP: OK, I'm guessing we DIDN'T take the birth control pills? Me: They turned me into a crazy person. *SO nods emphatically* NP: OK, then! Maybe an IUD next time?

From a work friend: What?! Why?! You were almost finished!!! Me: Ummmm...(DS1 hadn't even turned 7 at the time) I'm no where NEAR finished. Hell, DD is 23 and I'm not finished. 

From the same work friend: You do know what causes this right? Me: America's Ass. 

SFW Funny:

"That *IS* America's ass" Drooooooolllllll

After seeing a late night showing of Avengers, I came home, stripped, and collapsed into bed, too tired to put on PJs. SO took that to mean I wanted to play. 10 days, achy boobs, crazy sense of smell, and a migraine later...BFP. 

• Options
    @FyreFlyeRush That person from your last pregnancy is terrible. Beyond terrible.

@leprechaunlady There must be something in the water that causes there to be so many idiots near you.
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush that last one, omfg. I'm sorry someone said something so rude and insensitive. Also,  yea, I could se how America's ass could lead to a BFP 😅
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush omg I am so sorry! What a cruel & insensitive thing to say about a pregnancy loss! I’ll team up with @stashattack to go smack them! 😡
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady, @stashattack, @persnickity because I'd hate to think a dear and old friend could intentionally be so cruel, I choose to believe he was telling me to look on the "bright side" and cheer me up a bit, and chose poorly. On the upside, it was his text that broke the flood dam, and I finally just let go, so there IS that, I guess. 
  • Options
    at the dentist today the receptionist said "OH twins! Aren't you a little young to be doing IVF? My niece didn't until 35"

1) Who said these were IVF twins (they aren't)? Can twins not be conceived naturally (they were)?
    2) I don't care if I was 25 or 45- infertility issues are real (as someone with PCOS I understand this) and serious and if I needed IVF at 25 I would do it (without a doubt)
    3) Why is how they were conceived any of your damn business lady!!!
  • Options
    @amb0924 what in the actuall eff? Twins have been a natural occurrence long before IVF was invented, so that just shows her ignorance. And yes, clearly she doesn't understand the complexities or emotions behind fertility issues or she wouldn't be asking anyone about IVF without being told first, even if you were pregnant with quintuplets. Sheesh, some people!
  • Options
    @leprechaunlady
    i'm sending those men diarrhea karma 
  • Options
    I went into work the other day with a Monster and got the sideeye from a colleague with a cup of McDs coffee in hand. "Are you allowed to drink that? Pregnant women aren't allowed to have caffeine, you know" Actually, I'm allowed to have 200mg of it. "That has at least 500mg" You'd be surprised, it only has 120mg per 16oz, less caffeine than half that 16oz cup of coffee you're guzzling, and less sugar, AND I pour about 1/2 out before I drink it.  *crickets*
  • Options
    @kbrown2385, you mean you KNOW you're having twins? I could have sworn we all made a pact not to tell you.

That's right up there with SO telling me, "Well, you have a human life inside you." :|
  • Options
    You guys are terrible at secret keeping.

This is all I want to respond with 

• Options
    @kbrown2385 I can imagine how annoying that is. It's like all the people who respond to the fact that I'm tired with the fact that I'm pregnant. Well yes but also this job is hard and yes growing a life is hard but it doesn't make me less tired lol
  • Options
    @kbrown2385 OMG I can so relate!! I get those comments all the time. Oh really- I'm growing two humans? I didn't know.... why don't you all tell me what that's like.... B)
  • Options
    @biolprof like you can’t be tired for any other reason 🙄

@amb0924 I try to remind myself it’s preparing me for all the “are they identical?” questions I will inevitably get. It’s annoying af though.
  • Options
    Ive already had people ask are they identical even after they know im having a boy & a girl 🤪 people are dumb af!
  • Options
    "You just ate!" uh, no. I ate almost 5 hours ago, and 2 bites of soup and a cheese sandwich isn't exactly a full meal.

Also: NMIL wants to come stay with us for the first few weeks because I'm a new mom and will need lots of help, and I'm really not aware of how much work newborns are. Ummm....JUST NO. 1) My parents are a block away. If I need companionship or a break I can walk or drive there. 2) your last child was born in 1977. Things have changed. 3) I could be mistaken, but I have two kids already...I'm pretty sure this isn't my first rodeo.
  • Options
    FyreFlyeRushFyreFlyeRush member
    edited November 2019
    Oh!! And did yall know that deep down inside, I really want to be a SAHM, and just can't admit it to myself or anyone else? Yeah! I don't know it either. I could sworn I liked working and having a career. 

EDIT - I am absolutely not knocking SAHMs. I was one for 18mos with DS1 and wouldn't change that time for anything. I know how hard it is, and how much work goes into maintaining a household while parenting young kids. In the end, I need to work...if only to get a break from the kids! 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush why is it anyone's business whether or not you choose to go back to work!? So much blame for SAHM and working moms. Everyone gets blame for doing it wrong which is just dumb!
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush @leprechaunlady ugh, people say the dumbest things to moms who come back to work after having a baby!  (I'm sure SAHM get their own set of nasty comments, but I've never been one, so I haven't experienced that particular set).

From the questions of whether I'm really coming back (um, I've done it twice already, pretty sure I know what im in for) to the assumptions that I'm going to be a blubbering wreck when I come back (not really, again, done this twice already!)  My own dad also thinks that I secretly wish I could be a SAHM.  I'm sure part of it is that he's from a different time when working moms were less common, but there's also a nasty undercurrent of "DH can't support you properly, so you HAVE to work" which is seriously not appreciated!
  • Options
    @cats_in_a_window,

there's also a nasty undercurrent of "DH can't support you properly, so you HAVE to work" 

OMG, yes! This is my NMIL's reasoning. If my SO could support me properly, then I could stay home with the baby where I belong. Which isn't helping our situation at ALL. I sometimes want to tell her to STFU and worry about her other kids. I like being able to support myself and contribute to our household. I like working. I get that we come from different cultures and eras in life, but in 2020, marriages and LTR are partnerships, and in our partnership, we both contribute to financial and domestic household duties. 
  • Options
    @FyreFlyeRush idk how you’ve managed to bite your tongue with this woman. She makes me crazy and I don’t even know her.